• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I won't be making it out the first weekend of the season, sadly I'm still in the early stages of dealing with my Father's estate and I've got to get his house cleared this weekend.

Next weekend though I hope to be chasing some bushy tailed varmints. Sadly I will be using the only scoped .22 in my collection right now that I purchased to get the wifey more comfortable in shooting *oh and I just haaaaate shooting it;)*. I have yet to finish dialing it in but I got the scope mounted and dialed into about 1" @ 25 yards with a standing rest, hoping to get to the range to dial it in tighter at 50 and 100 yards this week sometime.

Also, pan fried squirrel all the way with a buttermilk n flour based batter with a little bit of salt, pepper and cumen.

MP15-22Scoped.jpg

MP15-22Scoped2.jpg

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I see from the purple that you are kidding but I've actually done that with decent success...except for the climber part. I just used my tree stand for deer in between seasons & after season.

My problem: when deer hunting, I see Tree Rats, and when Tree Rat hunting, I see deer.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My problem: when deer hunting, I see Tree Rats, and when Tree Rat hunting, I see deer.

I almost took a squirrel while deer hunting two years ago. I aimed high so either I would behead him or miss completely. When the .44 Mag slammed into the tree about 3/4" from his head, I've never seen a squirrel jump so high. Were that rifle scoped, rather than ghost ring sights, I probably could have bagged him. :D

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Me too. My wife & I have a running joke that the deer & squirrels are in cahoots with one another. During deer season the squirrels look out for the deer & during squirrel season the deer look out for the squirrels. At least that's sure what it sems like.

That's why I thought I'd try to hunt squirrels like I hunt deer. :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Me <= Skeeter Magnet.

Yup. Me too.

But if you want squacks, you gotta' suffer a bit!

This is how I do it: I go out before first light and sit in the creek bed, or alternate area if it's filled with water.

I pull a fire starting stuff and my canteen and canteen cup out of my rucksack. I build a fire and put coffee on. I just throw the grounds in the water; no sense getting carried away. Usually though I have those Folgers Singles with me.

Then, I find a nice spot for my butt, put my rucksack up as a support, and commence to eat something from a can.

By the time my coffee is done and fire extinguished, it's starting to get light out.

I chamber a round, slooowly go prone, and watch all the nut trees I know squirrels are in.

For a quick hunt, I will just open up the patio door, step out on said patio, lay down on said patio, and hit them at 100yds or so :):

I much enjoy the getting up early and sitting in the creek bed, though.

Josh

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Early is best. Sunday I have Church so by the time I hit the woods it will be HOT. I'll be out next weekend. If I don't see any, at least I can scout some new locations for deer season.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Nikki sure looks like she's all ready!:D -Hope she gets her reward for being patient this weekend.
    Good Luck guys, hope everyone does well it's gonna be a hot one for the opener this year.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Woo Hoo!!

Now, I'm officially ready. I managed to pick up a new rifle (on sale!!) and took it out to the range to sight in the scope.

I'm really happy with the out-of-the-box performance of my new Savage 93r17 bolt action .17 HMR. I got the package with a 3-9 scope. Even with no modifications this thing is a good shooter, and should prove great for squirrels.

f8262861.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I'm sitting out the opener for the first time since I first squirrel hunted. It's bad enough on regular openers to get my squirrels back to the house without flies all over them, let alone this extremely hot year. I've got a great spot behind my home that I can usually get my daily limit of five pretty quickly the few times I venture out for them each season. The mosquitoes and chiggers are probably horrible -- and I despise chiggers!!!

Top Bottom