• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Find out what company sold the 96 gallon trash cans and your questions are answered. New mayor, new connected contractors and vendors.

Always follow the money

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Get a quote on a new septic system in the mean time. It might be a good gift horse. I know when I looked into one years ago before going the city route I nearly choked.
    Well I'm not going to have the choice. Once that line comes through, you have to hook up to it. I'd love to find a plumber that would cap the city water pipe before it hits the meter that will come with it. I don't want to use that crap.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Find out what company sold the 96 gallon trash cans and your questions are answered. New mayor, new connected contractors and vendors.

Always follow the money

It's Republic, and that was one of the first thoughts to cross my mind. I even thought of you when it did! :): Somebody got a sweetheart deal I'm sure.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    We recycle and already have a 96 gallon bin for that, and now we are going to get a second for trash. Since we started recycling our weekly trash went way down 2 kitchen bags a week. And I'm not sure where in the garage #2 is going. Only have a 2 car, and we have to pull a car out for the recycle bin :xmad:. I am not looking forward to this.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We recycle and already have a 96 gallon bin for that, and now we are going to get a second for trash. Since we started recycling our weekly trash went way down 2 kitchen bags a week. And I'm not sure where in the garage #2 is going. Only have a 2 car, and we have to pull a car out for the recycle bin :xmad:. I am not looking forward to this.

We have a one car and it's tight with my little car. DoggyMama likes to go to garage sales.

52cfa562021c4c144f132c85c40a1ec19d1e1fedb4dc0764ed06e137d1ae826c.jpg

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    We have 55gal cans here in Delaware County. Each home can have 2. If one gets stolen (shady a** people!), they'll replace it for free (once). You'll be surprised what you can fit in. They also changed it from picking up in the alley to picking up out front due to the size of the truck. So, be on the look out for that. I know here, if you live within city limits, you can take trash to the landfill yourself. You get up to, I believe, 2000 lbs a yer above and beyond what they pick up at your house. They don't charge for these drop offs unless it's excess trash due to remodeling. For remodeling trash, you pay per pound, and it's really reasonable. I remodeled my bathroom, down to studs and started with an iron tub and lath and plaster walls. Evem with several trips, it was cheaper that renting a flat dumpster. Just my :twocents:.

Edit: I forgot. We also have to have our cans up to the house (not necessarily hidden, but not in the street) within so many hours (I think 24). If you don't and someone complains, you get a note. After so many notes and you keep doing it, then they take the can and make you pay for another.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I have DPW now, but I thought that Republic had gotten a contract to pick up the new cans, but maybe I misunderstood.

I think Republic picks up the recycle bins here in the neighborhood. I don't do the curb side recycling. I take our boxes to work and we reuse them. All steel and aluminum go in their appropriate containers, when I get enough I take it to Omni Source and get some money. -I recycle all my brass too

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This is what happens when you depend on the government for something so easily privatized.
    How true. I live in an unincorporated area and have several options of companies I can do business with for trash/ garbage collection. I started off, many years ago, with Rumpke and they were the worst company I have ever dealt with for anything. They didn't pick up when they were supposed to and were rude at the curb and when calling the office. The company I have had over the last several years is great. Of course I pay a monthly fee, but I'm a very happy camper. They pick up anything, even old furniture, etc. for an extra fee.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Columbus went this direction quite a few years ago....first can was "free" and paid by property taxes, you can however buy a second or third can with your own money and those are yours to keep...the first ones MUST stay with the house should you move.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How true. I live in an unincorporated area and have several options of companies I can do business with for trash/ garbage collection. I started off, many years ago, with Rumpke and they were the worst company I have ever dealt with for anything. They didn't pick up when they were supposed to and were rude at the curb and when calling the office. The company I have had over the last several years is great. Of course I pay a monthly fee, but I'm a very happy camper. They pick up anything, even old furniture, etc. for an extra fee.

Same here. There are 3 companies to choose from. I could get a second 96 gallon trash can for a reduced fee, or they pick up from our regular trash cans in the event of overflow- included in the cost. I am happy as well. I can purchase the service I want and there is no being forced into a "one size fits all" situation.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Same here. There are 3 companies to choose from. I could get a second 96 gallon trash can for a reduced fee, or they pick up from our regular trash cans in the evnt o overflow- included in the cost. I am happy as well. I can purchase the service I want and there is no being forced into a "one size fits all" situation.

If this were an option, and IF they were to reduce my property taxes accordingly, I would probably look into a private company. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If this were an option, and IF they were to reduce my property taxes accordingly, I would probably look into a private company. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

Yeah, I know. Live in the city, you have little to no choice.

My only lament is that the trash pickup is about 400-450 yards from where the trash can lives. Oh well, I made my choice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I know. Live in the city, you have little to no choice.

My only lament is that the trash pickup is about 400-450 yards from where the trash can lives. Oh well, I made my choice.

I could live with that choice. It would provide me with a good excuse to get one of those utility 4-wheelers like I've wanted for a long time. "But honey, I NEEEEEED that!" :):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My in-laws have the same issue. The "can" is so large, it won't roll through the side door to the garage, or through the overhead door if the car is parked inside. The "neighborhood" doesn't want the cans sitting outside. So... they leave it outside anyway.

Besides the fact, that once full, neither of my in-laws can move the darned thing.
    At least in Fort Wayne you have the option of getting a small one.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hear ya DD. I'm livid too. And so are some of my distant neighbors. They live in a HOA. HOA says trash cans must be taken IN by a certain time on trash day and cant be left outside. EVER. (except between 7a-8p trash day, smarta**) Cant fit these cans in the garage due to things like lawnmowers and cars in the way. They cant build a minibarn to store the yard tools either.

I cant fit one of those cans past my car, but at least I can build a storage spot on the side of the house by putting down a small deck and surrounding it with privacy fence panels. (I live in the non HOA section)

In many HOA's the best solution is a short privacy fence around a 4'x4' section. Otherwise, a garage bumpout is legal.

I've noticed that our trash can offenders are the ones with a garage full of junk.

FYI, I love the big cans. We only put ours out every other week, in conjunction with the recycling can (which they only pick up semi-weekly).

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If there is a foreclosure around you, there's your source for another can or 2 if you dont mind borrowing. Or ask a neighbor for theirs if they are moving. That's how I got my 2nd can.

Now for the fun. Make it a game to see how high you can stack the crap. Don't pIle it on the lid as they won't take it, but if the lid is open, feel free to pile it 10 feet tall. They still take it. I've put appliances on top, and they take it if the scrappers don't.

Top Bottom