• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When my brothers' neighborhood got those new cans, a few neighbors wanted to see if the truck could pick them up when filled with water. Yep, it picked them up but struggled for a while then whoosh. It took 5 long hoses to go across and down the street but we don't know anything about that.
    The one they filled with quikrete though, it didn't get dumped.

For weeks the guy would go around kicking the cans to check first.
    Priceless! :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, the rules already existed for everybody. Those that do not follow them should be punished, not those that do follow them.

And just like gun control, its easiest to practice zero tolerance and make everybody do stupid human tricks than to actually fix the real issue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Amen. And recycling is a losing proposition anyway. I believe it should be done - and so I haul ours to the local drop station. But it costs money to recycle, so any savings they might realize in the reduced amount of trash being picked up will be offset by the cost of processing that recycling.

And dont get me started on cardboard. Why the F do they push recycling so hard, and then NOBODY accepts cardboard at the drop sites? With the economy shifting to ecommerce, cardboard is not incidental to our trash usage now.

Its mainly because of lack of cardboard recycling that we quit. Why recycle when you can only recyle PART of what can be recycled?

And yes, I'm sure there are one or two places to drop off cardboard, but isnt the point of recycling drop off centers everywhere that it is easy to do? You shouldnt have to drive to two or more places to recycle.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I have the same 96g can from dpw and thought it was going to suck but it has actually made it easier keeping critters out of the trash. But another big reason for them is it cuts down on workers getting injured. They no longer toss them in the back of the truck to empty, either they use a hydraulic lift on the back on the truck to empty them or the truck will be a side loader which picks up the can with a claw and arm raises it over the truck and dumps it. Plus in addition to less potential injuries there is less health hazard to employees. Many major cities are going to this. Also based on the complaint about brush you may want to look at the city website and see what options you have for disposing of that not so sure the larger stuff is supposed to get picked up but could be wrong

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And dont get me started on cardboard. Why the F do they push recycling so hard, and then NOBODY accepts cardboard at the drop sites? With the economy shifting to ecommerce, cardboard is not incidental to our trash usage now.

Its mainly because of lack of cardboard recycling that we quit. Why recycle when you can only recyle PART of what can be recycled?

And yes, I'm sure there are one or two places to drop off cardboard, but isnt the point of recycling drop off centers everywhere that it is easy to do? You shouldnt have to drive to two or more places to recycle.
    Yep, and they've actually been reducing the number of drop off points. Used to have them at the Kroger 5 minutes from me, but they removed it. Now I have to drive twice as far (burning more fossil fuel! :runaway:) to drop it off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, and they've actually been reducing the number of drop off points. Used to have them at the Kroger 5 minutes from me, but they removed it. Now I have to drive twice as far (burning more fossil fuel! :runaway:) to drop it off.

Kroger is an interesting story. Kroger decided it was ugly out front and they demanded the city move it behind their store where it cant be seen. Suddenly, with no witnesses to keep scum honest, illegal dumping was out of control and the city had to remove it. :xmad:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok so I have the same 96g can from dpw and thought it was going to suck but it has actually made it easier keeping critters out of the trash. But another big reason for them is it cuts down on workers getting injured. They no longer toss them in the back of the truck to empty, either they use a hydraulic lift on the back on the truck to empty them or the truck will be a side loader which picks up the can with a claw and arm raises it over the truck and dumps it. Plus in addition to less potential injuries there is less health hazard to employees. Many major cities are going to this. Also based on the complaint about brush you may want to look at the city website and see what options you have for disposing of that not so sure the larger stuff is supposed to get picked up but could be wrong

The large stuff gets cut up and put on my wood piles and burned in the fireplace, but bundles of green twigs and small branches don't. And I'm sure there may be another option, but why do I need to now use an inconvenient option when they already had a perfectly good option in use? And the truck that picks mine up has a small dumpster on the front that the driver dumps the trash into and then hydraulics lift it up and dump it into the truck. Again, I don't have a problem with increased efficiency if it truly increases efficiency (which should reduce cost - but it doesn't - so where are the savings?). Something that is efficient in one situation isn't necessarily more efficient in every situation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Kroger is an interesting story. Kroger decided it was ugly out front and they demanded the city move it behind their store where it cant be seen. Suddenly, with no witnesses to keep scum honest, illegal dumping was out of control and the city had to remove it. :xmad:

Yep, I suspect that's the case. Which only reinforces my argument that these 96 gallon containers aren't going to do a thing to decrease illegal dumping.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I was switched to the large garbage bins about 2 years ago and was unhappy at the time. It has worked out fine. As noted, if you consistently go over the one bin, you can get a second. My neighbor has that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And the argument above (snorko) that "nobody needs to be putting 10 bags (or bundles) of trash in the landfill every week" sounds suspiciously like the "nobody needs more than a 7 round magazine" argument.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The efficiency is it is less time consuming and if they are dumping it into a dumpster on the front first I would bet that route might be getting a new truck but Idk. And it is cost saving when you can cut down on workers comp claims, potentially only have 1 person to run the truck instead of a driver and 1 or 2 people slinging cans, and trust me far too many people over load cans and toss in lots of stuff that isn't supposed to be picked up by collections, and long term I think it could cut down on the number of employees needed to service the same size city or could keep the city from needing private businesses to service neighborhoods

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The efficiency is it is less time consuming and if they are dumping it into a dumpster on the front first I would bet that route might be getting a new truck but Idk. And it is cost saving when you can cut down on workers comp claims, potentially only have 1 person to run the truck instead of a driver and 1 or 2 people slinging cans, and trust me far too many people over load cans and toss in lots of stuff that isn't supposed to be picked up by collections, and long term I think it could cut down on the number of employees needed to service the same size city or could keep the city from needing private businesses to service neighborhoods

One time, I put too much in a bag and the driver felt it was too heavy (nevermind that I, a 56 year old, 5'7 man carried it to the curb) so he didn't take it. I get it, really. I divided it up into two bags and he picked them up the following week. But again, you are talking about people that abuse the current system. I just don't think that these new cans are going to stop the abusers from abusing the "new" system.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Wait, so now you're telling me I should cut down my beautiful trees because they're "messy"? They're not plastic trees. The branches will compost. As for disagreeing with people that use the service more paying the same as you, well I feel the same way about my property taxes going to fund schools. I have no children. Why should I pay for those that do?

Never said you should cut down your trees. Just saying that folks in general should try to compost yard waste on site if possible. I don't have kide either but (insert purple) providing education to children is seen as value added for the community as a whole.

And the argument above (snorko) that "nobody needs to be putting 10 bags (or bundles) of trash in the landfill every week" sounds suspiciously like the "nobody needs more than a 7 round magazine" argument.

I never said anything like that. I said that I objected to being charged the same as someone who regularly used the service 8 to 10 times as much as I did. Feel free to put out as much waste as you wish, I simply want users to be charged for their use of the service.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    If you go by the sheer number of people that have to be served its astranomical. In a town of say 50,000 you are going to have say 35,000 customers. That's 35,000 a week. Its a steamlining process. Driver only, each driver with the new cans will pick up 2 to 3 times what a Driver and a guy or two on the back can do. Safety, nobody outside the truck, nobody lifting, nobody around who knows what inside the cans/bags. Think about it from their side. Efficiency, safety, economical.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    :): You may be right pudly. But doggone it, this really honks me off. *deep breaths... deep breaths*

I 100% understand this statement and feel your pain.

BTW, what does your city/county charge? In Evansville it is $10.65/month added to the water/sewer bill which includes a 96 gallon trash bin picked up weekly, a similar sized recycle bin picked up every 2 weeks, and a couple heavy trash days scheduled in the spring and fall.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom