Transporting a handgun without a license. OFFICIAL!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    gun and ammo ,you're only be able to reach one of them.

uhm...

HUH???

EDIT: Just to reiterate what you would have found in the rest of the thread.......we have already established that it is illegal to transport a handgun without a license, even with the gun apart, and the ammo separate.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    That seems kind of stupid,i like the carry permit system,but not being able to transport w/o a permit seems draconian...this is America??

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just read thru this all and still a little confused. Since Indiana does not have a required " registration ", would it be legal for myself ( LTCH holder ) to transport a handgun that belongs to my wife ( has applied for LTCH , but not received yet ) to the range with her also in the car for her to shoot at the public range ? I ask because she has applied for her LTCH but hasn't received it yet, and we hope to go down to 21st later this week for her to pick out her first handgun. She will be the one buying it and doing all the paperwork. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    It is completely legal for you to cary or transport any gun that you have in your possession on your body or in your vehicle even if it "belongs" to someone else. Your wife's, your friend's or your dog's :D. Nobody would know any different anyway.

The gun can't be perceived to be in her control whatsoever (i.e. on her lap, on the seat beside her, directly under her seat, etc.) & if you exit the vehicle with her still in it you better take the gun with you. Better yet take her & the gun with you.

There is some debate about whether it is OK for your wife to shoot a handgun off her property. The law says that she can't carry it in a vehicle or on or about her body without a LTCH. I guess technically shooting it at a range would be carrying it.

In my experience I have been at a DNR range with two other adults who were shooting my handguns (one had a gun in hand) & a CO stopped by to ask for "a LTCH". I gave him mine & my ID & he checked it out & said "have a nice day". Not a word was said about them.

If you're going to a private range then there is even less of a chance that, unless you're doing something really stupid, a cop is even going to come onto the private property to check for LTCH's.

I'm not saying you should do it. I'm relating my experience & opinion.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is some debate about whether it is OK for your wife to shoot a handgun off her property. The law says that she can't carry it in a vehicle or on or about her body without a LTCH. I guess technically shooting it at a range would be carrying it.
    quote]

Thanks for the info !

Actually, we do most our shooting at a DNR range. In the past, we have never worried about it simply because the weapons were truly mine. Also, I often times also let my son shoot and he is obviously under 18. I have asked prior on more than one occasion there, and have always been told they want a LTCH for transport reasons and my son is fine as long as I'm there. In my mind now tho, things have changed due to the fact the handgun will now be hers and if we did it now, would be circumventing the law.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    As far as I know, carrying someone else's gun is not against the law. Since we do not have Registration in Indiana, it is very possible to be carrying a gun you bought used, that has no traceable link to you, yet you would be perfectly legal with an LTCH.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As far as I know, carrying someone else's gun is not against the law. Since we do not have Registration in Indiana, it is very possible to be carrying a gun you bought used, that has no traceable link to you, yet you would be perfectly legal with an LTCH.

Thanks again for the info.... I agree. I feel I can take her handgun to the range and legally shoot it myself, but was wondering if she would be able to shoot it ? I guess I was unclear if its a possession issue or transportation issue, or both. Hopefully, the wait won't be as long as we are fearful of. In the meantime, it will just her more " dry fire " time.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have never been asked for an LTCH at the Range, so I can only answer to my experience.

I have never been either. And the past few years, I could call Roush my second home. LOL Actually, it was there that I was told wife and son were fine to shoot with me. I have even seen the CO there walking the line and observing with little ones shooting that were obviously under 18. I had never worried before, but like I said, all the guns were either ones I did paperwork for or ones I bought FTF.

The first time she takes it out, is going to be a big day for her. I'm sure she will want to show any fellow INGO members that might be there her first, so claiming it to be one of my own, isn't an option. Unless we hear something such as, " for the range only, it's strictly a transportation issue ", we will take the safe route and wait. She can practice dry firing as I still go and have just that much more ammo to shoot. :D

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    XtremeVel;1004998In my mind now tho said:
    You would not be circumventing the law, just using a valid loophole to protect yourself.

Thanks again for the info.... I agree. I feel I can take her handgun to the range and legally shoot it myself, but was wondering if she would be able to shoot it ? I guess I was unclear if its a possession issue or transportation issue, or both. Hopefully, the wait won't be as long as we are fearful of. In the meantime, it will just her more " dry fire " time.

I have never been either. And the past few years, I could call Roush my second home. LOL Actually, it was there that I was told wife and son were fine to shoot with me. I have even seen the CO there walking the line and observing with little ones shooting that were obviously under 18. I had never worried before, but like I said, all the guns were either ones I did paperwork for or ones I bought FTF.

The first time she takes it out, is going to be a big day for her. I'm sure she will want to show any fellow INGO members that might be there her first, so claiming it to be one of my own, isn't an option. Unless we hear something such as, " for the range only, it's strictly a transportation issue ", we will take the safe route and wait. She can practice dry firing as I still go and have just that much more ammo to shoot. :D

I'm confused by your concerns in the above posts.

You stated that you have taken your wife to other DNR ranges & was told by the CO that her shooting with you present would be OK. The only difference now is that the gun is "hers".

If that is the only concern you have it is unfounded. There is NO WAY that a CO or any other LEO would know or have any way of finding out who the actual owner of the gun is, nor would it matter. If you can transport her handgun the same as you can transport yours then she can shoot her handgun the same as she would be able to shoot yours. You (& your wife) don't require a LTCH to possess a handgun in IN you just need one to transport (carry) it off your property. It doesn't matter who bought it or who it belongs to.

Again, I'm not saying that it is completely legal for her to shoot your gun at a public range. As stated above that is debatable. But if you were OK with her shooting "your" gun then there is no difference if she is shooting "her" gun.

Also, just to make sure you understand, the above only applies to handguns, not rifles or shotguns (with full stocks). No license is required to transport them anywhere.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm confused by your concerns in the above posts.

You stated that you have taken your wife to other DNR ranges & was told by the CO that her shooting with you present would be OK. The only difference now is that the gun is "hers".

If that is the only concern you have it is unfounded. There is NO WAY that a CO or any other LEO would know or have any way of finding out who the actual owner of the gun is, nor would it matter. If you can transport her handgun the same as you can transport yours then she can shoot her handgun the same as she would be able to shoot yours. You (& your wife) don't require a LTCH to possess a handgun in IN you just need one to transport (carry) it off your property. It doesn't matter who bought it or who it belongs to.

Again, I'm not saying that it is completely legal for her to shoot your gun at a public range. As stated above that is debatable. But if you were OK with her shooting "your" gun then there is no difference if she is shooting "her" gun.

Again, thanks for the info. The reason for my confusion is more due to the fact I don't know if what we were always told is actually the law, or rather just them being lenient toward a family out for a afternoon of shooting. Not only have I asked this question to the DNR there, but on one occasion, the C.O. There are signs also posted stating anyone under 18 must have an adult present to shoot. These are the reasons why I have always felt secure letting her and my underage son shoot there when I am present.

Now that the gun is hers is a difference maker to me only because IF what we have always been told was due to leniency, I would be concerned that the same leniency might not be afforded if they felt we were working the loop holes. I couldn't expect her to be untruthful if asked who owned it, so they would in fact know our circumstances have changed and that she now owned the gun.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...so they would in fact know our circumstances have changed and that she now owned the gun.

Since ownership legally makes zero difference, nothing has changed.

This is not a loophole, folks, the law is simply silent on handgun ownership.

Let's leave it that way.

Go shoot! :)

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    Here's another twist to this ...

What if you are out of state ... a non resident here to hunt whitetails with your Ruger SuperRedhawk 44Mag and your state does not have a hunting and target permit?

Does IN honor or reciprocate your home state and not require you to have a carry permit or hunting & target permit? Or does IN tell you that you can't hunt with a handgun without some type of permit?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here's another twist to this ...

What if you are out of state ... a non resident here to hunt whitetails with your Ruger SuperRedhawk 44Mag and your state does not have a hunting and target permit?

Does IN honor or reciprocate your home state and not require you to have a carry permit or hunting & target permit? Or does IN tell you that you can't hunt with a handgun without some type of permit?

You would need some form of license/permit to carry to hunt with a handgun in IN. Possession of a handgun is unlawful in IN off your property/fixed place of business without one. With a few exceptions, hunting is not one of them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom