Transporting a handgun without a license. OFFICIAL!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was once told by Gary Shoemaker before he died that transporting "to and from an FFL" was expressly legal. I can't think of the # of possible arrests I've had over the years. (licensed now)

One of the exceptions is "to/from a place of repair", so that's technically correct.

The word "another" is key. One could interpret that the IC only allows for transporting from one dwelling to another dwelling and one business to another business, not between a dwelling and a business. [/color]

I just wonder how this would play out in a courtroom.

It's clear to my non-lawyer eye that the intent of the exception was to allow an unlicensed owner to bring his gun to work and legally carry it while working, then bring it home at the end of the day. At the same time, we all know how "intent of the law" and "the letter of the law" do not always match.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    who is going to be the one to break the news to pop guns? they have been telling people for years that its ok to come to their range w/out a hangun license....
    doesn't pop's fix guns too?? if so then they are ok per the law as they are takeing it to a place of repair maybe not to be repaired but that part isn't in the ic hehe

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm going to have to stop bragging to my friends back home in Michigan how IN's laws are so much better. Even MI makes allowances for going hunting and to the range without having to pay the State to go use your own gun, ridiculous.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm going to have to stop bragging to my friends back home in Michigan how IN's laws are so much better. Even MI makes allowances for going hunting and to the range without having to pay the State to go use your own gun, ridiculous.

Despite some complaints that you will see here, Indiana's laws are actually among the more gun friendly in the nation. All of this discussion is about handguns only. The rules for long guns are much more user-friendly and they can be used without a permit. With handguns, the rules are pretty strict if you do not have a license to carry handgun (LTCH). As a shall issue state, once you've jumped though a few hoops (still too much), then the restrictions are greatly relaxed. The lifetime permit is unique to Indiana (not 100%- can anyone confirm?). There are only a couple of states that have no permit system at all.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Despite some complaints that you will see here, Indiana's laws are actually among the more gun friendly in the nation. All of this discussion is about handguns only. The rules for long guns are much more user-friendly and they can be used without a permit. With handguns, the rules are pretty strict if you do not have a license to carry handgun (LTCH). As a shall issue state, once you've jumped though a few hoops (still too much), then the restrictions are greatly relaxed. The lifetime permit is unique to Indiana (not 100%- can anyone confirm?). There are only a couple of states that have no permit system at all.

Don't forget that IN also honors any state or foreign government's handgun permit as well (provided you're not an IN resident). It's easy to complain about IN's handgun laws, but with a license, they're among the most permissive.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    OK, here is your assignment. Make a list of where you can not carry in Michigan and compare it to where you can not carry in Indiana. :D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    OK, here is your assignment. Make a list of where you can not carry in Michigan and compare it to where you can not carry in Indiana. :D

Irrelevant, i'm talking carry/transport pre-LTCH/CPL. LTCH Indiana has a slight advantage but MI is catching up, they also recently got NFA-MG but strangely not SBR. They have a good AG that's pro-gun, need to get rid of the governor though.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here's a question reguarding the above code IC 35-47-2-1 and IC 35-47-2-2.

If the handgun is disassembled and in pieces like frame in trunk, slide in glovebox and magazine and ammo locked in a secure box, is it still considered a handgun, or machine parts, because it is not assembled and a fully functioning firearm?

This might be the solution to going to the range other than the hassle of having to assemble/reassemble it each time.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Don't forget that IN also honors any state or foreign government's handgun permit as well (provided you're not an IN resident). It's easy to complain about IN's handgun laws, but with a license, they're among the most permissive.

Absolutely, most IN laws are extremely gun friendly compared to nearly every other state. Every time I am in VA I hate that I am pretty much never allowed to carry even with the proper permit. Why because of their 'stupid' alcohol restrictions, ie. not allowed to carry were alcohol is sold or served. I am so glad IN doesn't have it because if you think about it so many places do from gas stations to restaurants.

Other than the SBS clause which I assume is due to IN history we really can't complain.

philec39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Frankfort, IN
    So-o-o, if I own a handgun for home protection, but do not have a LTCH, I cannot even take it to a gun shop for repair? Or do I just hope they make house calls? I haven't read the laws for awhile, but I did think that problem, was addressed somewhere.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    I was always under the assumption a handgun can be transported unloaded in a secure container as long as there is no loose ammo, loaded speedloader or magazine . The firearm cannot be in any ready mode. Thanks INGO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom