Transporting a handgun without a license. OFFICIAL!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    dnr book sad you don't need a license to hunt on your place or any of your family because it is private proterty but you have to use legal hunting equitment such bo handgun in the right cal. if hunting deer or shotgun small game i don't know

I agree that is difficult to read but...

YOU do not need a license to hunt with a handgun on your own land. That is a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH). I'm not talking about a hunting license here. YOU WOULD need one if the land you own that you hunt on is seperate from the land that you live on. If you have to leave your property for any reason to get to your hunting property, you'll need the LTCH. Once you get there you wouldn't technically need it at that point.

Your family (that doesn't live on your hunting land) will need a LTCH to get it to your property to hunt with. There is a debate about whether they need it to actually hunt on YOUR property, as well.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    This is great clarification. It contradicts everything I've ever been told by ranges I visit, including the ECPL, PopGuns, and *gasp* Don's guns. I was once told by Gary Shoemaker before he died that transporting "to and from an FFL" was expressly legal. I can't think of the # of possible arrests I've had over the years. (licensed now)

The Chief of Police in Carmel was also wrong during my ftf interview for my license. What's up will all the mis-information.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I don't think that there is any handgun hunting at all in the state of Indiana, so even if you are on your own land, you would not be able to hunt with a handgun, although you can target shoot, if you are in a rural area and have the adequate backstops, etc. to shoot at home. As the others stated, a license is not needed to transport a long gun, but it needs to be unloaded and stored in a case while transporting.

Gunfever1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Indiana has crazy gun laws when i was in New Orleans you could take your gun everywhere just not concealed. here dont get caught up its big trouble

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I agree that is difficult to read but...

YOU do not need a license to hunt with a handgun on your own land. That is a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH). I'm not talking about a hunting license here. YOU WOULD need one if the land you own that you hunt on is seperate from the land that you live on. If you have to leave your property for any reason to get to your hunting property, you'll need the LTCH. Once you get there you wouldn't technically need it at that point.

Your family (that doesn't live on your hunting land) will need a LTCH to get it to your property to hunt with. There is a debate about whether they need it to actually hunt on YOUR property, as well.

That really depends on whether "from one dwelling or place of business to another" stretches to cover land separate from your principle residence (maybe if you put up a tent or cabin to "live" in while you're there). If it does then no LTCH required to transport a handgun from one to another so long as it's "unloaded and in a secure wrapper."

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    A budy of mine is a state cop, he said they have been instructed that if they find anyone carrying a handgun without their permit even on their person (even if they have been issued one) then they are to arrest them. I dont imagine you would be prossecuted but still who wants to go to the pokey and maybe have a record for forgetting your permit?? that would suck!! Make coppies boys and girls, keep them in your car, your work, your house, your wallet, your mistresses house, etc ..... lol. dont let a good day turn to a bad one quickly over a technicality

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    LOL...Yeah I just might have to do that sometime. I do have an old S&W Mod 19 with a 4 " barrel, so I see that it would just make the cutoff. But I am an avid bowhunter and never even considered a rifle, let alone a handgun. That could get me out there longer!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    That really depends on whether "from one dwelling or place of business to another" stretches to cover land separate from your principle residence (maybe if you put up a tent or cabin to "live" in while you're there). If it does then no LTCH required to transport a handgun from one to another so long as it's "unloaded and in a secure wrapper."

HHMMM...

I never thought of reading it in that way but it could make sense. If you owned more than one residence or business you would need a way to get it from one to the other. I only read "moving" as in the traditional "relocating your primary residence or business" sense.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Been arguing with my dad over this. He got a print-out of the IC and read it to me as showing his point that it's fine for people to transport guns to a range. I explained that he was reading it wrong and told him about the letter in the OP.

His response: "But I talked to two gun guys, plus one guy at the last gunshow and they said that it is bull****. It would be stupid to need a license to carry your gun to the range. You're wrong."

AH!

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Alot of the time, the law just don't make sense! I just go with what the U.S. constitution says, You have the right to bear arms. ANYWHERE! If someone disagree, write me a ticket and I'll see you at the supreme court!

Keveeee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Elkhart
    Alot of the time, the law just don't make sense! I just go with what the U.S. constitution says, You have the right to bear arms. ANYWHERE! If someone disagree, write me a ticket and I'll see you at the supreme court!

I AGREE COMPLETELY!

My whole attitude on this "right to carry" issue that the state has seemingly decided to infringe upon is really getting on my nerves.
    Again, I ask the question; Why does the state of Indiana think it can take away my right to bear and then sell it back to me in the form of a permit?

Keep = OWN
    Bear = CARRY
    Infringe = IMPEDE OR RESTRICT

I realize that people think it's a radical idea, but that's the whole point.
    When the government fears the people there is liberty.
    When the people fear their government there is TYRANNY !!

"A truly sovereign nation is a nation made up of truly sovereign individuals".

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    When the government fears the people there is liberty.
    Wrong. In a proper situation, neither should fear each other because each has their place. You are a radical anarchist and need to keep your mouth shut. The government doesn't bear the sword in vain (Romans 13) and neither do we.

The government exists to defend the innocent. If they are unable (due to time restrictions or otherwise) or unwilling is when we defend ourselves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom