• Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    The Old Lady wrote about this in "Atlas Shrugged", a long time ago:

Michael “Midas” Mulligan:
    "It's the chance dangers that I'm afraid of--the senseless, unpredictable dangers of a world falling apart. Consider the physical risks of complex machinery in the hands of blind fools and fear-crazed cowards. Just think of their railroads--you'd be taking a chance on some such horror as that Winston tunnel incident^ every time you stepped aboard a train--and there will be more incidents of that kind, coming faster and faster. They'll reach the stage where no day will pass without a major wreck."

John Galt:
    "I know it."

Mulligan:
    "And the same will be happening in every other industry, wherever machines are used--the machines which they thought could replace our minds. Plane crashes, oil tank explosions, blast-furnace break-outs, high-tension wire electrocutions, subway cave-ins and trestle collapses--they'll see them all. The very machines that had made their life so safe, will now make it a continuous peril."

Galt:
    "I know it."

^For those of you who haven't recently read "Atlas", a steam locomotive was sent to pull a passenger train through an eight-mile mountain tunnel (the diesel locomotive previously pulling the train had derailed and been wrecked), even though the tunnel ventilation system was inadequate for steam locomotion.

When the train stalled inside the tunnel due to the effects of the steam locomotive exhaust on the crew and passengers, it was subsequently rear-ended by a following train carrying munitions, and the resultant explosion collapsed the tunnel.
    As far as the deterioration of the railroads are concerned, the peculiar perversion of Capitalism that was advocated by the late railroad executive E. Hunter Harrison and dubbed "Precision Scheduled Railroading", is primarily manifested in the objective of driving "Operating Ratio" (operating expense as a percentage of revenue) as low as possible.

Short-term minimization of wage and maintenance expense drives down Operating Ratio, pleasing large-scale investors--until the road finds out that it no longer has sufficient crewing available to move trains, or to inspect and maintain motive power and rolling stock, or to inspect and repair the right-of-way suffering from deferred maintenance.

From what I read in "Trains" a few months back, NS was actually taking a look at whether the never-ending pursuit of a lower Operating Ratio was actually in the long-term interest of the company. Maybe a closer spacing between defect detectors could have prevented or at least mitigated the effects of the East Palestine wreck.

A lot of defect detectors could have been installed for what NS is going to have to pay for the wreck.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    140 car train. Each time hazardous materials are added to the string, the crew is supposed to walk the train and inspect it, but the railroads don't want to hire enough people to not have to work the people they already have like dogs (part of the reason for the almost strike).

How much you want to bet those inspections aren't getting done. Also, around twenty miles before the derailment sight, the axle of one of the cars was so hot it glowed brightly enough to be visible on security camera footage. There are devices set up along the rails that scan for hot wheel/axle assemblies and send a radio message to the train crew if one is detected and they are supposed to stop and check the situation out. There was one near that location twenty miles before the wreck, where the security camera saw the visibly hot axle, and one in the town where the wreck happened. It is possible attempting to stop if they received a warning wound up precipitating the wreck - although it was only a matter of time. The question being discussed now is whether they received an automated warning farther up the line but did not initiate a stop when it might have been away from a town and farther from the river
    The strike was happening. It was stopped by the Biden administration and senate by force.

We have all heard the term quiet quitting by now. Given what has happened in the last decade at railroads with PSR( https://www.freightwaves.com/news/what-is-precision-scheduled-railroading-psr ),you can wager things that should be done and are supposed to be getting done are not.

Things have not been going well,and it will likely get worse.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Rail is operated the same as telecommunications. Pole replacement costs money as part of your maintenance plan. Wait until a storm or accident takes them down and you can write off the replacement costs. Maintenance is a bad word inside a company that pinches pennies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think you'll find that the most comprehensive study linking human cancer to vinyl chloride came from manufacturing of PVC where the people were exposed to it every day. It concluded that continuous exposure over time was key to inducing the cancers. The short term PPM exposure people in that area may be facing is going to be pretty low as far as cancer risk. Not making excuses for the accident, but I've been in the industrial chemical business my entire career.

The biggest risk was letting the vinyl chloride leak out and volatilize, it's heavier than air so it's going to find areas where it it will pool and reach the level where ignition is going to turn it into a rail tank car sized thermobaric bomb. Draining and burning was the best choice to make. The risks were just to high to do anything else.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Feel like I should know this, but how much of our water comes from the Ohio River?

Attachments

• 6238D0F1-AF4F-4A36-AB15-A9CEAE4810F9.jpeg
      6238D0F1-AF4F-4A36-AB15-A9CEAE4810F9.jpeg
      89.5 KB · Views: 17

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    This is turning into Biden’s Chernobyl — huge catastrophe that was hushed up to make “glorious leader” look good.

Chernobyl redpilled the Soviets — will this wake up the libs?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    This is turning into Biden’s Chernobyl — huge catastrophe that was hushed up to make “glorious leader” look good.

Chernobyl redpilled the Soviets — will this wake up the libs?
    Not a chance in hell. They are so brainwashed, they'll go right over the cliff with all of them... :patriot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    An unnerving thought; How close do any of us live to a railroad track? How close is the railroad to your water source?

For me, it's a mile. My daughter and grandkids are about the same. :runaway:

Top Bottom