• ...and so much more!
  • sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    I'm listening.

This thread started out with the premise that the media is trying to distract us away from this incident.

Who? Why?
    If you like you could check the link I posted a couple comments ago. Take from it what you may, or discard it. It is from r/latestagecapitalism and I know how that sub would be regarded here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm listening.

This thread started out with the premise that the media is trying to distract us away from this incident.

Who? Why?
    Probably several reasons:
    Accident in a small town in flyover country. Nobody "important" impacted.
    Nobody wants to send reporters to a nothingburger town and rack up expenses.

So in a word: "whocares?"

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

You are giving logical reasons why every national media source would choose not cover the incident live. Obviously, some did.

So is that why there must be a grand distraction? Media is doing what it has always done....and we are being distracted away from it for some reason?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    "Burned" vinyl chloride, while bad, isn't as bad as unburned vinyl chloride. It's also a material that rapidly evaporates so it's not hanging around long as a liquid. It becomes a liquid under pressure and is stored and transported that way, much like propane.

Like ethylene oxide you don't want a big cloud of it hanging around as it can produce a thermobaric explosion, just like ethylene oxide.

People on the ground making decisions about chemical problems sometimes have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

There was a huge chemical plant fire in West Virginia a couple years back that looked similarly apocalyptic.

Story faded away in a week.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hmmm, the states and epa slap fines heavily for burning things such as wire, shingles and plastic..but it's ok to burn direct hazardous chemicals. Why wasn't these chemicals just pumped into proper containers..
    The cars containing them were at the heart of the post crash fire area as well as kinetically damaged and thermal imaging of the cars showed that the chemicals internally were approaching a critical temperature after which a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor explosion would be a distinct possibility

They opted for a 'controlled' release and burn over the less desirable alternative. The potential for an explosion was also limiting fire-fighting options on the rest of the wreck

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree. No worries. I just wanted to do some legwork to get the whole story.

I'd bet MTG doesnt know the whole story either. Lots of assumptions are made during things like this. Especially with other incidents where .gov doesnt seem to want to be honest with us.

I'm actually surprised it wasnt as bad as advertised. In this case it just sounds like an overzealous cop flexing his "you will obey without delay." attitude. Since he didnt shut up immediately, cop felt disrespected and showed no common sense by arresting him for daring to finish his work as quickly as possible.
    I suspect something more was going on there. DeWine has been quoted as saying the broadcast being done by the reporter was not bothering him. Ohio's Adjutant General, a member of DeWines cabinet (why he was there) and Major General in the Ohio Nat'l Guard decided on his own that the reporter was too noisy and ordered police to stop the broadcast

He then had the reporter arrested because he claimed said reporter 'became agressive' and 'made him feel threatened'. Sigh, sounds like snowflakeism is a problem in the ONG

I've been trying to find out if the Adj Gen'l is a progressive (which would seem unlikely in a DeWine admin) or might for some other reason have a woody for NewsNation, because the official explanation makes no sense

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    "Burned" vinyl chloride, while bad, isn't as bad as unburned vinyl chloride. It's also a material that rapidly evaporates so it's not hanging around long as a liquid. It becomes a liquid under pressure and is stored and transported that way, much like propane.

Like ethylene oxide you don't want a big cloud of it hanging around as it can produce a thermobaric explosion, just like ethylene oxide.

People on the ground making decisions about chemical problems sometimes have to choose between the lesser of two evils.
    The cars containing them were at the heart of the post crash fire area as well as kinetically damaged and thermal imaging of the cars showed that the chemicals internally were approaching a critical temperature after which a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor explosion would be a distinct possibility

They opted for a 'controlled' release and burn over the less desirable alternative. The potential for an explosion was also limiting fire-fighting options on the rest of the wreck
    You guys and your facts! :xmad:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It is one of many. So far this week we are at 3 derailments. Many of which will have long term environmental and human costs. The current one in Ohio though..11 chemical cars on fire. They are talking about 3,but the others have hazardous cargo as well. It will be uglier than most I believe.

I believe 15 now since January 1st 2023.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm listening.

Who? Why?

Probably because there's a very high probability of a lot of people having a significant reduction in life expectancy, and nothing can be done to mitigate it.

Phosgene is nasty stuff, uncured vinyl chloride is also one of the most carcinogenic substances there are.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And its a nasty case of Sophie's Choice. You either burn the stuff where it can dissipate in the atmosphere and do a little damage.
    Or you try to pump it, risk rescuers dieing or getting REALLY sick, (worse than 9/11) and if they dont work fast enough it contaminates groundwater and poisons millions.

If I heard correctly the choice is acid rain for a bit or massive amounts of cancer in pockets all along the Ohio river.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I find it hard to believe both of these things aren't going to be the end result.
    There will be some of each. The faster you burn it, the less of the other you get.

EDIT: The more you get away from the ground by burning the farther left the slider moves.
    Acid rain ------------------|---------------------Lotsa cancer via groundwater

The burned chemical is less cancerous than the raw chemical from the tanks.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    140 car train. Each time hazardous materials are added to the string, the crew is supposed to walk the train and inspect it, but the railroads don't want to hire enough people to not have to work the people they already have like dogs (part of the reason for the almost strike).

How much you want to bet those inspections aren't getting done. Also, around twenty miles before the derailment sight, the axle of one of the cars was so hot it glowed brightly enough to be visible on security camera footage. There are devices set up along the rails that scan for hot wheel/axle assemblies and send a radio message to the train crew if one is detected and they are supposed to stop and check the situation out. There was one near that location twenty miles before the wreck, where the security camera saw the visibly hot axle, and one in the town where the wreck happened. It is possible attempting to stop if they received a warning wound up precipitating the wreck - although it was only a matter of time. The question being discussed now is whether they received an automated warning farther up the line but did not initiate a stop when it might have been away from a town and farther from the river

Top Bottom