• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I give him my LTCH along with my license and let him ask the questions. No need telling a jumpy new cop that "I'm loaded for bear!". Even though it sucks, letting the officer remain in his comfort zone of asking the questions and me answering them seems to work out fine. Usually the next question is "Are you carrying tonight?" Followed by "Yes sir". Then "OK, just keep your hands on the wheel until I come back." Works rather well.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    As a LEO you tell me your a permit holder...I assume your on my team. You do not tell me there is a gun in the vehicle and I see one within arms reach...big problems.....

2004 had a gun who was pissed off about being stopped and he flung open his glove box.....He kept his registration under his kimber.........Bad idea.

I guess I'm not on your "team". I believe in don't ask ,don't tell. Just to keep all my team members safe from overzelous LEOs.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I give him my LTCH along with my license and let him ask the questions.
    Trying to show off? Why do you even carry? Get pulled over often? Seems like it, you act as though it's a routine. Have trouble with traffic laws? They're pretty simple. When you're pulled over, there really isn't a problem with an officer of the law taking charge and asking questions, in fact they'll likely ask if you have any weapons in the vehicle whether you show off your permit or not. I actually have the privilege of having driven over half a million miles in 48 states over the past 3.5 years and have a firearm with me at all times. When I'm pulled into a weigh station for an inspection I am certainly not eager to let the LEO know ANYTHING he doesn't have a reason to know. Mostly due to the fact that about 99% of them don't even know the gun laws in their own state, much less know about the safe passage act INTERSTATE DRIVING. In fact my last experience with an IMPD officer resulted in him not being certain if my MN permit was good in IN or not. When I politely informed him that IN is the ONLY state that honors ALL OTHER states permits he had to call dispatch to check.

Last edited:

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I feel like you are picking on me "Rambo". What's wrong...the Michigan Militia take the holidays off and the lack of delta ops fantasies playing out in real life gets you frustrated?

I'll play though. I'm a good sport.

Not really showing off, just answering the OP. I do not like getting pulled over by the cops, but have probably been pulled over 6 times in the last 14 or so years. 5 for speeding, one for running a red light. I have gotten one ticket. A citation for 11mph over on Rockville Road on a Sunday morning. While I do not enjoy interactions with the police, I feel no need to potentially escalate the situation. The officer feels most comfortable, and will be least likely to do something stupid, when he is following the book, and that means asking the questions in a traffic stop. Handing him my LTCH informs him I am carrying and allows him to assume it is loaded, which it is, and allows him to remain in control of the situation. Am I giving up my rights. Surely. Does it increase my chances of getting home. Maybe. Will I change what I do because "Rambo" asks me why I even carry. Not a chance. Now go pick on someone else until the next tactical cornfield operations meeting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    in indiana, the time i did get pulled over with just by pstol, i was asked if i had anything in the car if elt the need to inform the piggly wiggly about..
    i said sir, there is nothing illlegal in this vehicle.

he got pissed, wrote me a ticket and that was that

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Was pulled over late night for speeding. I was rifing shotgun,along w my license I handed over my permit & informed the lady officer I had a loaded gun on my person. I was asked 2 show my hands,step out of the vehicle,slowly hand the gun"butt first". I received my gun back,bullets in hand along w my gun & identification. They ran my info,& gun...no problems....15 min hassle withstanding,id tell a leo everytime,when I'm packing. Id rather not hav them pull one on me if it can b avoided

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Was pulled over late night for speeding. I was rifing shotgun,along w my license I handed over my permit & informed the lady officer I had a loaded gun on my person. I was asked 2 show my hands,step out of the vehicle,slowly hand the gun"butt first". I received my gun back,bullets in hand along w my gun & identification. They ran my info,& gun...no problems....15 min hassle withstanding,id tell a leo everytime,when I'm packing. Id rather not hav them pull one on me if it can b avoided

Are you saying you were the PASSENGER?

If so, you weren't even driving, but during a traffic stop for speeding, as the passenger, ie: not the person that was stopped for speeding, YOU were taken out of the car, detained, and your gun confiscated?? :dunno:

wow

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Was wondering what others do when stopped for a traffic violation and have a weapon in the vehicle. My question is do you inform the officer that you have a weapon or wait for them to ask?:dunno:

i alwasy tell my people that you need to remain calm, keep your hands at 10 and 2 where I can see them. Dont make any sudden movements and speak only when spoken to. If you are asked what you've got in the vehical then you better answer proper or it will turn out less than optimal for you. Honesty works out much better for citizens, why would you lie to an officer performing a stop. You need to respect the law and it will respect you. If i find out people lied i never go easy on them. If you just be honest with me I will not give you a hard time, just check your CCW permit and take your gun back to my car to run the numbers..Oh yea.,, and turn down the dang music!!!!!!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    i alwasy tell my people that you need to remain calm, keep your hands at 10 and 2 where I can see them. Dont make any sudden movements and speak only when spoken to. If you are asked what you've got in the vehical then you better answer proper or it will turn out less than optimal for you. Honesty works out much better for citizens, why would you lie to an officer performing a stop. You need to respect the law and it will respect you. If i find out people lied i never go easy on them. If you just be honest with me I will not give you a hard time, just check your CCW permit and take your gun back to my car to run the numbers..Oh yea.,, and turn down the dang music!!!!!!
    WTF are you talking about? IN law does NOT require me to tell an officer if I have a gun. Not telling one does NOT equate lying. Are you really that ignorant of the law? And yet you claim to be an enforcement officer of some sort? Seriously, speak only when spoken to? Your mommy hates you doesn't she? Did you ever get to meet your daddy? WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? For real, you can answer in a PM if it's too embarrassing.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    :blahblah:

CCW permit in Indiana?

We have a LTCH, you should know this if your a LEO.

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have had several people show me their carry permits and advise me they have a weapon in the vehicle. I usually ask where it is located, if its within reach of the driver I usually take hold of the firearm and hold it until the traffic stop is over. The honesty the person shows usually weights heavily on if they get a citation or not.

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just for my safety. I don't trust anyone. We learned in the academy that the bad guys are nice right up until the time they kill you. Sorry I try to be as polite as possible, and I return the weapon to the person as soon as we are finished talking.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Just for my safety. I don't trust anyone. We learned in the academy that the bad guys are nice right up until the time they kill you. Sorry I try to be as polite as possible, and I return the weapon to the person as soon as we are finished talking.

Do you take their car keys? They could try to run you over. How about the knife clipped to their pocket? I would guess no on both.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    The last time I was stopped the nice officer asked for registration, I informed him my firearm was in the glove box w/reg. he when to passenger side opened the glove box took out the gun safely emptied it and took the clip with him. I got my seat belt ticket (bull) and my clip back, he never took my firearm with him, he also did not look at my permit.

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Do you take their car keys? They could try to run you over. How about the knife clipped to their pocket? I would guess no on both.

Well Sir, I do hold on to pocket knives if myself and the person I'm interacting with are both standing. On a traffic stop, where the person is seated, I would not take the pocket knife. Most times I cannot see them. The car keys would stay in the ignition, because I would not put myself in a position where they could run me over.
    Every traffic stop is different. There is no "routine" traffic stop, each one presents its own unique dangers. I'm sorry but I AM going to inconvenience you for a few moments instead of possibly getting killed. I have a job to do and at the end of the shift I am going home alive.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    well if your not speedin',cuttin' ppl off,all your lights are workin' or just generally not drivin' like a idiot.....guess what you won't get pulled over!!......oh then theres road blocks and those yes you will get checked......i thought this was about traffic stops?:dunno:......my :twocents:

I am sorry, but I have to call BS on your statement. I have read NUMEROUS threads on a large officer forum on how officers will use ANY way to pull someone over, one even made the comment that if they saw someone driving perfect, 5 miles under the limit, both hands on the wheel, not looking at the officer, they would pull the person over to "just check them out" God forbid a non-LEO asks about the PC for the stop. Anyway, so just because you are following all the rules of the road doesnt mean one wont get pulled over.

INGunGuy

Top Bottom