• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just for my safety. I don't trust anyone. We learned in the academy that the bad guys are nice right up until the time they kill you. Sorry I try to be as polite as possible, and I return the weapon to the person as soon as we are finished talking.

"Just for my safety" ? That old chestnut. What about MY safety? I dont know you, or any other LEO, I dont know your qualifications, so can I hold YOUR weapon during a traffic stop?

Once you have checked the LTCH, why would you confiscate a legally carried weapon?? Licensed gun owners are statistically, verifiably, among the most law abiding citizens of this country. Once the LTCH is checked, and you have no PC or RS beyond the traffic stop, your interaction regarding the gun should END.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Well Sir, I do hold on to pocket knives if myself and the person I'm interacting with are both standing. On a traffic stop, where the person is seated, I would not take the pocket knife. Most times I cannot see them. The car keys would stay in the ignition, because I would not put myself in a position where they could run me over.
    Every traffic stop is different. There is no "routine" traffic stop, each one presents its own unique dangers. I'm sorry but I AM going to inconvenience you for a few moments instead of possibly getting killed. I have a job to do and at the end of the shift I am going home alive.

And I don't trust you or anyone else out there, which is why I will never inform you that I'm carrying. I don't wish to be disarmed or deprived of my possessions or my ability to defend myself.
    We all know legal gun owners inform an officer they are carrying just before shooting them, right?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    And I don't trust you or anyone else out there, which is why I will never inform you that I'm carrying. I don't wish to be disarmed or deprived of my possessions or my ability to defend myself.
    We all know legal gun owners inform an officer they are carrying just before shooting them, right?

Exactly! That is what makes this whole "disarmed for officer safety" thing such a farce! I would like to see proof of just ONE incident in this country where a licensed gun owner informed the LEO he was carrying, showed his License to Carry, THEN shot the LEO. Just one... anyone?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Well Sir, I do hold on to pocket knives if myself and the person I'm interacting with are both standing. On a traffic stop, where the person is seated, I would not take the pocket knife. Most times I cannot see them. The car keys would stay in the ignition,Every traffic stop is different. There is no "routine" traffic stop, each one presents its own unique dangers. I'm sorry but I AM going to inconvenience you for a few moments instead of possibly getting killed. I have a job to do and at the end of the shift I am going home alive.

They could start their vehicle as you open your door and ram you.
    Think it hasn't happened before?
    So saying " because I would not put myself in a position where they could run me over." is total BS!

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Well Sir, I do hold on to pocket knives if myself and the person I'm interacting with are both standing. On a traffic stop, where the person is seated, I would not take the pocket knife. Most times I cannot see them. The car keys would stay in the ignition, because I would not put myself in a position where they could run me over.
    Every traffic stop is different. There is no "routine" traffic stop, each one presents its own unique dangers. I'm sorry but I AM going to inconvenience you for a few moments instead of possibly getting killed. I have a job to do and at the end of the shift I am going home alive.

I see no reasons to risk my life when im just trying to do my job either. Pocket knifes, guns,, swords, pepper sprey, other weapons, hand them over amigo. If you are acting shifty then I may even take your keys. Once i get done with your tickets you can quit crying :crying: Sometimes I get a souvineer or 2 if they have drugs on them.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I see no reasons to risk my life when im just trying to do my job either. Pocket knifes, guns,, swords, pepper sprey, other weapons, hand them over amigo. If you are acting shifty then I may even take your keys. Once i get done with your tickets you can quit crying :crying: Sometimes I get a souvineer or 2 if they have drugs on them.
    I'd like to see you try to take my keys in a traffic stop. In fact if you ask me out of the vehicle, expect the doors to be locked.

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    I'd like to see you try to take my keys in a traffic stop. In fact if you ask me out of the vehicle, expect the doors to be locked.
    Then you'd be guilty of restisting. Sorry man, i am sure you are a good guy but how could i ever know. We have to play it safe to protect ourselves. Lets have those keys please so we can both go home tonight. You arent supposed to interfere with police from doing their duty.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Then you'd be guilty of restisting. Sorry man, i am sure you are a good guy but how could i ever know. We have to play it safe to protect ourselves. Lets have those keys please so we can both go home tonight. You arent supposed to interfere with police from doing their duty.

So what you are saying is that you are able to "be safe" but us as the CITIZEN is unable to "be safe" You dont know me, and I dont know you. I dont care if you are in uniform, driving a Crown Vic, and carrying a .45 I still dont know who you are either... These are the reasons that I NEVER inform. I am lucky because I drive the speed limit or slower, I stop at lights, and make sure my car is 100% in compliance, so my dealings with LEO have been very few.

INGunGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I am sorry, but I have to call BS on your statement. I have read NUMEROUS threads on a large officer forum on how officers will use ANY way to pull someone over, one even made the comment that if they saw someone driving perfect, 5 miles under the limit, both hands on the wheel, not looking at the officer, they would pull the person over to "just check them out" God forbid a non-LEO asks about the PC for the stop. Anyway, so just because you are following all the rules of the road doesnt mean one wont get pulled over.

INGunGuy
    i got tailgated by a cop late at night once for about 10 minutes. i didn't know it was a cop. kept following me every turn i made. and by tailgating i mean i can't see his front lights..

i took off and retreated back to the house. he was not happy. i filed a complaint, and was told well the officer was probably trying to see if you were driving erratically. i personally spoke to the chief about it and ask if tailgating was legal in Ohio, because i had gotten a ticket for it once.

I kid you not, his response was, "tailgating is illegal FOR YOU."

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    i got tailgated by a cop late at night once for about 10 minutes. i didn't know it was a cop. kept following me every turn i made. and by tailgating i mean i can't see his front lights..

i took off and retreated back to the house. he was not happy. i filed a complaint, and was told well the officer was probably trying to see if you were driving erratically. i personally spoke to the chief about it and ask if tailgating was legal in Ohio, because i had gotten a ticket for it once.

I kid you not, his response was, "tailgating is illegal FOR YOU."

That's right remember, it is perfectly fine for the police to break the laws, and lie. Because they are the ruling class. We as the common citizen, have to follow the rules and speak the truth. Look at Louisville, a cop was driving 85 MPH in a 45 MPH zone, kit and killed a women who was turning, you know what he got? 30 day non-paid suspension, after being off work PAID for 7 months. No ticket, no arrest, no nothing. Now to be fair, the woman had been drinking, but that was NOT the reason for the crash, the reason for the crash was excessive speed by the officer. So, they hit and kill someone and get 8 month vacation, we do, and we go to jail.

I am VERY pro-LEO, I have LEO friends and have nothing but the utmost respect for them as they do a job that most of us wouldnt want to do. My problem is how they can basically do whatever they want and not have to deal with the reprecussions like we do.

INGunGuy

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Actually you are wrong again, as usual. It wouldn't be resisting anything. It would be exercising my rights. If an LEO wants my keys or to search my car he would first have to obtain a search warrant or place me under arrest and since there would be no cause for either, good luck. Am I free to go now officer? Now go away and troll somewhere else. You aren't even good at THIS.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

You are proving yourself more and more to be a fraud.
    One can't "resist" and unlawful order. If the stop is indeed JUST for a traffic violation, with no other verifiable PC or RS, you would have no cause to ask a citizen out of the vehicle, therefore, no "resisting" charge.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

So you take drugs as a souvenir? Interesting...

(oh, btw, might I suggest a little thing called "spell check". just sayin)

HereNthere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Plainfield
    This happened to me a few months ago. I was driving back to Indy from Louisville early in the morning (about 2am) with my elderly father riding shotgun. I was speeding, and got pulled over by an ISP unit. I had my 1911 in plain sight stuck in between the seats. When the officer approached, I handed him my dl, registration and LTCH, and informed him the gun was there.

He immediately drew his own gun and pointed it directly at me with his finger ON the trigger and his hand was visibly shaking (kid didn't look old enough to shave, but was probably in his mid to late 20's). He ordered me to pick up the gun with 2 fingers and hand it to him, butt first. I complied and he ordered both me and my dad to keep our hands visible and went back to his car. When he left, my dad said "My God, I thought he was going to shoot you for a second there". Yeah, me too.

Almost 15 minutes later, he returned, ordered me to open my door, and proceeded to unload the mag into my door. He then gave me my other stuff back with a speeding ticket, and left. I inserted my spare mag, chambered a round, put the safety on and left. The whole thing was unnecessarily unsettling.

I thought about making a formal complaint. Not to be vindictive, but because I really don't think this kid should be alone out there until he gets more experience, and additional firearms safety instruction. In the end, I just let it slide though.

Next time, I'm just going to slide the gun down between the seats and keep my mouth shut. I had another gun in the console anyway, but he didn't ask, and I sure as hell wasn't about to tell him after how scared he acted with the first one.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Just for my safety. I don't trust anyone. We learned in the academy that the bad guys are nice right up until the time they kill you. Sorry I try to be as polite as possible, and I return the weapon to the person as soon as we are finished talking.

do they teach you the constitution in the academy too? or just how to break it? I dont care about your safety, its not my job . Its my job to care about mine, and I will not be giving you or any other officer my firearm for any illegal search or seizure procedures. you are not authorized to take my pistol. not everyone wants to kill you by the way. so dont let the academy make you paranoid.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This happened to me a few months ago. I was driving back to Indy from Louisville early in the morning (about 2am) with my elderly father riding shotgun. I was speeding, and got pulled over by an ISP unit. I had my 1911 in plain sight stuck in between the seats. When the officer approached, I handed him my dl, registration and LTCH, and informed him the gun was there.

He immediately drew his own gun and pointed it directly at me with his finger ON the trigger and his hand was visibly shaking (kid didn't look old enough to shave, but was probably in his mid to late 20's). He ordered me to pick up the gun with 2 fingers and hand it to him, butt first. I complied and he ordered both me and my dad to keep our hands visible and went back to his car. When he left, my dad said "My God, I thought he was going to shoot you for a second there". Yeah, me too.

Almost 15 minutes later, he returned, ordered me to open my door, and proceeded to unload the mag into my door. He then gave me my other stuff back with a speeding ticket, and left. I inserted my spare mag, chambered a round, put the safety on and left. The whole thing was unnecessarily unsettling.

I thought about making a formal complaint. Not to be vindictive, but because I really don't think this kid should be alone out there until he gets more experience, and additional firearms safety instruction. In the end, I just let it slide though.

Next time, I'm just going to slide the gun down between the seats and keep my mouth shut. I had another gun in the console anyway, but he didn't ask, and I sure as hell wasn't about to tell him after how scared he acted with the first one.

You should have reported it. Carrying a gun is not a crime, yet that LEO put your lives in danger for that legal act. What he did was illegal, dangerous, and un-Constitutional..

Officer Safety my ass, I still want to know what happened to OUR safety.

HereNthere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Plainfield
    You should have reported it. Carrying a gun is not a crime, yet that LEO put your lives in danger for that legal act. What he did was illegal, dangerous, and un-Constitutional..

Officer Safety my ass, I still want to know what happened to OUR safety.

Yeah, this whole "officer safety" issue kinda puzzles me. If I had evil intentions, why would I leave the gun in plain sight and explicitly tell him it's there? Hell, if a real BG happened to come along and start something, I'd even pitch in and help. Who knows, it's conceivable that I could even save the officers life. But if I've been disarmed, I'm just going to watch and try to be an alive witness. In this case, I guess I would at least go to the funeral and attempt to tell his widow how bravely he died (whether true or not). I guess I just don't get it.

Top Bottom