• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I am an advocate for always having a spare mag...mostly for malfunctions than an anticipation of having to shoot 30 MFers (or shoot 15 of htem twice.....or 10 of them 3 times.... :p ).

I always carry a spare mag/flashlight combination holster.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Ok, I agree with carry what your comfortable with.

But, I want to add a little here and mention that it should all be comfortable for you "mentally & Physically". Personally I carry a G27, but I carry a single Loaded G22 Mag opposite to "balance" my pants out. It actually helps in that one side of my pants don't sag down as they do without the counter balance. I've found that the regular G27 mag is just not enough weight to balance correctly.

So, I only carry 1 Spare, But it is the full size mag.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    17+1 in my pistol plus two more 17-round mags in a double holder. Wearing the pistol on one side and the mags on the other balances the load and keeps me from walking in circles.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've never heard of anyone losing a gunfight due to having too many rounds, but I should think 1-4 extra mags with an EDC pistol would be sufficient.

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    I don't usually carry an extra mag, mostly bc I pocket carry and have keys, phone and wallet to contend with. I would be interested to see some statistics about how many violent encounters required an extra mag to handle the situation.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Why not carry exactly what you need? "Today, I plan on shooting 20 people so I will bring 20 rounds!"

This reminds me of the David and Goliath story.
    Then David took his shepherd’s staff, selected five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in the pocket of his shepherd’s pack, and with his sling in his hand approached Goliath.

Why five smooth stones?

Because Goliath had four brothers. Now that my friend is faith.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if the people who think they will never need an additional magazine have ever seen the floorplate on a magazine fail and dump all the rounds on the ground. I've seen it several times and once was when it happened to me. The most common is Glocks, especially with the Glock or similar +2 floorplates. In fact, I saw it happen in July at a match with a Glock.

I would be very sad if I were in a tense social situation requiring the use of a firearm and then my one and only magazine puked its contents onto the ground at my feet. Very sad indeed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wonder if the people who think they will never need an additional magazine have ever seen the floorplate on a magazine fail and dump all the rounds on the ground. I've seen it several times and once was when it happened to me. The most common is Glocks, especially with the Glock or similar +2 floorplates. In fact, I saw it happen in July at a match with a Glock.

I would be very sad if I were in a tense social situation requiring the use of a firearm and then my one and only magazine puked its contents onto the ground at my feet. Very sad indeed.

Ah the much dreaded B52 impression. Yes I have seen it happen, especially with aftermarket magazines.

I carry either 1 or 2 spares depending on if I am using a single or double magazine holder.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If your mag malfunctions, and you don't have a spare, you have a paper weight. What if you have a double feed, and you have to drop your mag to clear the malfunction. Situation determines gear choice. For everyday, I carry a single stack and carry a spare mag. If I was going somewhere that was unfamiliar, or a known bad area. I would probably carry a full sized, and a spare mag.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom