• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

A picture of the snowball was leaked on Drudge and the planet has gone insane. The news reports just keep pouring in. ICE AGE as the headline didn’t help.

Dinner was uneventful and the mood from the day’s events made it worse.

Tonight, dinner was in Mailman Mike’s trailer. We are still getting used to having group dinners on a rotating basis. The trailer was crowded, but it also got very warm inside from all the body heat.

Shades of grey and white, just like the bands on Jupiter, without the colors, caused the panic. The picture was all that was needed to show the earth had changed and it would take years to recover. I think people just thought winter would be colder, but not longer. That changed today.

The ash bands south of the equator really stand out. The mixing north of the equator is more consistent and that got us talking. The ash layer up this way might have peaked. How long it will take to go away is another matter, but it gave us some hope.

Most of the distant news stories were coming from ham radio sources. Cities, towns and other populated areas have people doing anything they can to get food. The loss of life has to be horrible. News blackout at major US cities only add to our concerns the violence will hit close to home.

Tonight there will be 4 guards posted, but with the cold blowing winds and the icy snow, we don’t expect too much trouble. The roads are a mess and in our place, the windows are blocked out so the lights can’t be seen from the road.

I was reading to everyone my notes from the scanner traffic earlier today. Four or Five men tried to destroy the substation and knock the power out for the town. They were stopped and all were killed. No one in the town was injured. The two names they read didn’t mean anything to us. The attack made the ladies start to worry about the power going out. We should have enough propane, wood to keep us warm and hearing that again calmed them down. Worst case, we all can bunk up in a small space and the body heat will almost heat the rooms.

The group broke up and everyone went back to their living quarters. Back in our home, Cassie asked us a simple question. I told her we would be in bad shape if we all didn’t come together. We needed to help each other out getting ready for the long winter. There is no way our family could make it if this group didn’t form.

The kids were getting ready for bed, while I was getting dressed to do my 4 hours of watch duty. Carrie and I both knew things would be moving very fast. We were on edge, but were holding together. Those that had not prepared or planned were another story.

Our hope is that our paths don’t cross. In the back of my mind, I wanted the cold to quickly thin out the troublemakers. In the observation shed I listened for sounds that didn’t fit in. My eyes were useless in these blackest of nights. No alerts were heard on the FRS and I went home after my 4 hours in the shed.

For the next 21 days, we all did two 4 hour shifts each day. We had no contact with any outsiders and the radio traffic on the scanners got less each day.

On the 22nd day after the snowball picture was leaked, we lost power and all connections to the outside world were broken. The high for today was minus 20 degrees F.

Last edited:

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    great writing... you are an inspiration (artistically and "preppingly"):popcorn:
    "christian_indy" you are and IDIOT!
    ... hope that doesnt break the forum rules:rules:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You will have more readership and make more sales ...

... if you drop the cold weather / freezing to death attitude. IMHO

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I'm liking it still. Hope the super insulated buildings get enough air flow.

I was wondering the same thing after the part about the doors and such being so tight.

How would this effect things?

Air for fire to stay warm, cook with, etc. heat means O2.. Life means O2.. if the houses are too air tight you go T-T Night Night and never wake up..

Just saying..

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    More readership huh?? So I guess that the 10,000+ views this thread has gotten just from this forum says nothing to your headlined statement?? :twocents:

As was said previously.... Don't like it? Don't read it? Think you could do better? Prove it.....

Either you are missing a sense of humor, or I am. Personally, printcrafts post was hilarious.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

100 miles to the North, 700 residents of the “egg plant” were doing the daily tasks needed to stay alive.

The idea was crazy, but they pulled it off. Six months prior, the complex had 3.0 million chickens laying almost 3 million eggs per day. The eight buildings were super insulated so that the heat of the 400,000 chickens in each building would keep it warm in the winter. 10 generators were on site for emergency power so that the birds would not die and the eggs would not spoil if the power failed.

The galvanized cages were not plated properly and started to rust. The rust created a sanitation issue for the site and it was shut down because of the metal taste to the eggs. The chickens were pecking at the rust and the iron was messing with the taste of the eggs and no grocery store chain wanted his eggs. The owner was able to get the supplier repay his losses and replace all the cages. A few months back they started to remove the defective cages and start the long process of rebuilding inside the 8 buildings. The first four buildings had the cages in various stages of replacement, but the other four buildings were empty. Each of the empty buildings is 700 feet long, 70 feet wide and 45 feet tall.

FEMA paid a visit to the owner with an idea he could not refuse. The cages in three of the four buildings were removed in just a few days with an excavator and about 200 motivated Amish workers. In short order they converted the buildings to serve as a land based ark for farm animals and a shelter for 700 people. Days later the workers built a mezzanine in 4 of the buildings to double the floor space. Supplies poured in from the area to stock the site so that those in the building had enough food, water and supplies to last three years. Camping trailers were trucked in from Elkhart Indiana and lifted by crane to be placed on the mezzanine level. Sewage lines were connected and pipes to the manure building were run to the storage tanks being welded together. The human and animal wastes were going to be used to generate methane to heat the buildings and reduce the need to run the diesel generators.

While all this work was going on, the buildings had another layer of insulation applied and livestock shipped in. Three shifts of workers, all of whom were going to live at the site, completed it before the cold weather set in. All the local residents around the complex were included in the project to make sure security was maintained. The final touches of the project were still going on as the temperatures dropped below zero.

To reduce the chance of fire, no propane heat or cooking systems were allowed in any of the campers. The mezzanine was also to get the trailers higher up so that they could take advantage of the heat rising in the building. On the lower level, two kitchens were built to keep everyone fed. The kitchen equipment were taken from two high schools that had been closed at the start of the crisis.

More than three hundred sites across the country with similar projects were rushed into operation. Some were in underground coal or salt mines, others were at colleges, high schools and others at large hospital complexes. These were run by the DHS and had a very similar management plan.

At least 1,300 jails were converted for the same purpose. They were the perfect site to build cold weather shelters. The first change at the jails was the removal of the jail cell doors, and the cage walls. They were normally welded together to make new fences around the site for added security to keep people from getting in. The new “jail” residents didn’t ask what happened to the previous occupants. Some figured it out by the scratch marks on the bars, walls and doors when they were refurbishing the rooms. These were run by the States and followed similar plans, but had an emphasis on local creativity to make it work.

Local governments with the resources also tried to do the same thing, but on a smaller, informal basis. Usually it was a mix of local contractors and government officials that worked together. They hatched a plan together to save a few people. Sadly most of these failed when the world went crazy from the snowball pictures. These locations were not remote enough or did not have enough site fencing or security to keep people away. They were invaded, looted and invaded again until nothing worthwhile remained.

Other top secret projects were opened up, and those who thought they were important or held important elected positions had shelters also.

On the 30th day after the snowball picture was leaked, at least 3,000 stocked cold weather shelters in the United States were up and running. No one had a clue how many people were in the shelters, but people were trying to survive the best they could.

Some actuary working for the White House also told the President that at least one million households were still holding out well in the cold, 50,000 of them had the resources to go a year or more without replacing food or fuel. The President smiled and hoped many of those hardened individuals would make it and they can all come together and share stories when the crisis is over.

The President swung his chair around and was reading the report on the “Egg Plant” site in Indiana. He laughed when the report said it included a basketball court for recreation and the living quarters were new camping trailers laid out like a campground.
    In the background he could hear the sound of aircraft landing on the carrier deck. The warm water of the Pacific compensated for the grey dark sky that blocked most of the light. He couldn’t help thinking about the destruction that was happening back home.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom