• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    Very sorry but I am not able to keep up with this. You know what you are saying but we don't. I don't understand this NASA thing without a little background.

Still looking forward to the next installment. :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I believe he has switched to yet another "point of view." That of whatever poor suckers got stuck up in space when this all blew up. If they are well-supplied they may come through this better than the surface folks. Just hope there is enough civilization left to get them back down...

I look forward to seeing how all these various people and points of view will be tied back together eventually.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    I don't see how anyone is having a problem. This story is being told from multiple different points of view, there for, there will be multiple different segments.....

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

“Everybody, get outside!” Screamed Cassie. She had the front window watch duty. Her job mainly was to keep the frost off the inside of the window so we could see out. She was excellent at that task! With highs being colder than a blast freezer, going outside is not a quick ordeal.

We geared up and walked outside. My two college kids were testing how big of luggies they could spit that would freeze before hitting the other. My son only was able to get one to stick to his sister’s coat. The rest froze in the air. My daughter failed and was disgusted that one stuck to her sleeve.

Looking up, there was not a cloud in the sky, and the air was very still. We did see the grey white haze that looked like those cold weather clouds that are 50,000 feet up. It tricked your eyes. But we knew what we were seeing. That layer of fine ash covered everything like a grey frosted glass dome. Two minutes later, the cold was cutting us deeply and we all ran inside. It took 10 minutes standing next to the fire to warm us up.

It was still dim outside, but the lack of clouds almost doubled the light outside.

The removal of important items from the trailer took 5 trips with everyone involved. What should have taken 30 minutes in normal times took 4 hours. The trips were not that bad, it was the time it took to warm everyone up. The cold just sucked the heat out of you and your body needed time to recover.

Everything that could freeze was drained or removed. Items that would not be damaged from the cold temps were left in what they called a large cold storage closet. They made one last check, shut of the gas at the tank shut the exterior door and became the second family to sleep in the basement. By 11 PM, they had all the stuff “put away” and were doing ok. Bathroom time became an event at time, but the converted steel buckets for the men made a big difference. A list of items from the trailer was posted and tomorrow we will make a trip or two to get what was forgotten.

Food cans were frozen and swelling in the jail kitchen. A few had exploded and there was frozen corn mixing with fruit slices on the floor and walls. The building didn’t take long to freeze when the heaters and power failed. Half the group left and most of the remaining people were dead or suffering the last stages of hypothermia. No one will survive another day in the jail. Most of those that left were dead outside or just inside the buildings they were looking for warmth.

Only a few had world class cold weather gear, and even that was not helping. The only reason they are still alive is they are setting fire to some of the homes and using the huge fire as a source of heat. They have burned down three trailer homes and the heat from the fire is comforting. The trailer park they are at has 25 more units so they are good for a few more days. Before they set the place on fire, they use the light from the other burning building to search for food, clothing or other items to keep warm. They have not found much, but they have two shopping carts of items they can use. They are leaving the frozen bodies where they find them, and are hoping the fire gets rid of them.

None of these fire starters know much about trailer homes. The most recent home set on fire had a 250 gallon propane tank on the side of the building covered by a fence. They missed it when they did the walk around. All three of them were about 60 feet away from the tank when it exploded. The metal was weakened by the cold and the pressure relief valve was never tested to go from -80 degrees to 500 degrees in a very short period of time. It failed to vent the pressure build up and the tank bleve’d. The two persons closest to the explosion were killed instantly. The third was hit by the other two and knocked to the ground. She was not as lucky, it took five minutes for her to succumb to the effects of being burned alive in the flaming pool of liquid propane the settled around her. She was being burned by the fire and frozen by the -80 liquid as it soaked into clothing.

The tunnel rats could deal with the temps in the 40’s. They had closed the manhole when too much cold air worked its way down. The storm sewer was cleaner than they expected and they have found some frozen foods and water bottles that could hold them over for a week or so. The only problem was a bathroom. They found a spot, but with the limited light, they had already stepped in the others waste and the smell was not that great.

They had two candles going for light. Both were on the floor and they found about 15 to 20 when they were on the surface earlier today. They provided enough light to prevent bumping heads and hitting pipes that extend out the sides of the storm sewer.
    A rotten egg smell floated past the three of them as they were sitting by the two candles. Who farted or what died was mumbled and they all laughed. The smell got worse and the three of them started to sniff out the smell. The inlet pipe about 20 feet away was the source and it was getting stronger. After a few minutes they didn’t smell it anymore and went back to talking.

For a brief second the air around the two candles ignited and a medium blue flame flashed, a tenth of a second later the rest of the propane gas had reach the lower explosive limit and the chamber had a flash explosion. It blew out the candles but set some of the trash on fire. They were dazed and could not hear each other as they tried to figure out what happened. More propane gas and air mixed and a second explosion rocked the storm sewer and set the clothes on fire of the occupants. All of them inhaled the fire and hot gases when the second explosion occurred. They all lay on the floor of the storm sewer struggling to breath and in excruciating pain from the burns over most of their bodies.

Before the end of this day, there will be no one left alive in the town. To add insult to the tragedy, the fires started to keep a few people warm, were now out of control and consuming the west end of town. The fires will burn until they move east and are stopped by the 4 lane wide Division Avenue.

Last edited:

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    AHHHHHHHHHHH

3 weeks since my last FIX. Damn, I needed this. I read something about family troubles.............. I missed WHAT it was BUT I truely hope all is well or under control. This thread and your other are awesome!!! Sign me up for a signed copy of both editions. This has opened my eyes to SO MANY POSSIBLITIES of what the future may bring, and energized me to PREP. THANK YOU!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting stuff.

A thought, though: my office building downtown has an underground garage. The first parking level is just below ground level, then there are 2 levels below that. The bottom 2 levels are easily 10k square feet each. There are metal gates that close off the vehicle entrances, and enclosed stairs to the outside. If a storm sewer is far enough below ground to be above freezing, it seems to me that garages like this also would be.

It looks like there were at least a few weeks (couple months?) of warning. Garages like this, with some minor engineering help, could be converted into a honeycomb of living quarters and such. Hospitals could even relocate some stuff to such facilities. While most of downtown's parking is above-ground (and therefore useless in this situation), I can think of 10 or so that would be workable.

Of course, for a good writer (*coff*Longbow*coff*), a mini-city like that could be an interesting place for a "Lord of the Flies" scenario. Most urbanites would likely flee as the situation worsened. But, what about those that couldn't? What if local gov't took over one of the facilities as a "staging area" for supplies, then allowed police and their families to move in? What about RKBA in such facilities?

Interesting stuff. And apologies for the distraction from the story. :)

Edit:
    For instance, both the City-County Building and Indiana Government Center (South) have underground parking. It isn't as extensive as what I described for my office building, but it still might suffice.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    ^^^^^ don't forget the cities went crazy after the snowball picture was leaked. If and existed, the riots would have destroyed them. Sadly underground parking structures are built for passive and active ventilation to get rid of exhaust gases. They are not as tight as you think they would be. But you never know.....

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    No...not today

But you can say Happy Birthday to Mrs. Longbow she is 39 again! She is having a tough week and anything you all can say might cheer her up on this big day!

Top Bottom