• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for thinking of us!

Mrs. Longbow is having a tough time and she is keeping me on my toes. I'd share more, but just keep her in your prayers..........

Sorry to hear that Longbow. Tell her we all hope she gets better, and not just to get new stories from you.

No need to apologize for not sharing, some things are not meant to be shared.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    She is home and we are in a holding pattern. Basically, they gave her some new drugs and we get to see what happens.

I see what you did by posting........

Trying to trick me? Or did I just do that?

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    saw you posted...
    actually glad to hear the good news
    story can wait...family does not
    besides ive had more time to prep lol
    still praying

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Weeks have passed with no drama. Well almost no drama at our place

The southern neighbors are raising a baby like they did back in the 1890’s. Based on how the parents of the space baby look, it is not that much fun for them. The little crying machine is doing great though. Carrie and I have had several trips to the southern neighbors and they are doing very well adjusting to the new born. More babies are on the way and they all need to experience what a new born will be like.

They begged us when we left to find a trailer full of Huggies. They all are going to wish they had Huggies instead of cloth diapers before this is over.

Three salvage trips to the unburned part of town have been productive, but no other survivors have been discovered. Evidence of five groups of people tried to hold out and made it past the worst of the cold. They either died of starvation or unknown events. One group kept an extensive journal and I started reading it last night. They were not prepared; starvation, cold and sickness picked them off one by one.

That group started out with great intentions, but lack of food, and dealing with a rival group down the road lead to a raid against them. They prevailed, struck back hard and ended up driving out the other group, knowing they would not survive in the cold. If they would have both cooperated, and not tried to raid each other, several might have survived. From what was written, the last two in the group just gave up the will to live.

In the morning, everyone will be showing up for the service to put Mail Man Mike’s family to rest. The ground allowed us to dig a family grave for them all and the time has come. We must move on.

“Contact” was called from the radio from the front OP. “10 minutes ETA” That made a few of us jump and check things out. Walking our way was a group of 5, each with a deer cart full of goods. They were talking loud enough for us to hear them. They were a rough group and they were heading right to us. As they got closer, we could tell they were drunk or on drugs.

The OP clicked an alert, and we watched and waited. Smoke from the wood stove said people were here and we knew we were going to have visitors. A few minutes later they started yelling for food at the gate. So far the no trespassing sign was working at keeping them outside the fence and gate. They yelled some kid like chants for food and we thought they might get the hint, but that didn’t work. They all went back to the carts and were talking. All five hit the deck and we lost them behind the brush and weeds.

Rapid fire shooting from the front OP told us we had a problem. The five were shooting back, but it sounded like they only were all shooting at the OP. No rounds were hitting the house. Two of the attackers could be seen from the house and three of us opened up on them. Bad guy number one picked a poor spot and was shot to pieces in short order. Bad guy number two took a hit in the arm and ran off before another round knocked him down on the gravel. The first shot must have shattered a bone in his arm because it moved in strange ways when he was hit the second time. He face planted into the fence and was down for the count.

The three remaining bad guys were spotted moving in the ditch away from us to escape. From the pole barn, Carrie started shooting at them with the bolt action 1917, 30-06 with steady fire. All three of them were bunched up in the ditch from our cross fire when the first round hit the rear most bad guy in the back. He fell forward knocking the other two down at the same time. She fired several more times and then stopped.

“I don’t see them moving” she shouted and we ceased fire. The drill was to wait 10 minutes before checking them out, so that they had plenty of time to bleed out. Carrie put at least one more round in the first two that were shot for safe measure and the waiting game started.

No one waited more than five minutes before moving out. The first two bad guys could be seen from a long way off and they were very much dead and missing large portions of their heads. From about 150 feet we could see the other three, and they were not moving. Several of us had better shots and opened up on them one more time. None of them moved other than from the bullets hitting them.

Three of us formed an over watch for the other two to check things out. No one else was spotted in the area, but none of us wanted to be in an ambush. Everything was cleared and gear was picked from the dead.

One of the dead took a gut shot and he was very wormy. To put it mildly he was infested with tape worms. They were already trying to find another host since this one was useless and getting cold.

None of the gear they had in the carts was any good to us, but some of it was piled up for cleaning and could be useful for future trades. None of food looked safe, and looked out right spoiled. All of the guns were rusty, but with some cleaning, they could still be used by us. The bodies were put on the deer carts and taken down the road. There was an old van that would serve as a morgue for them until we could dig a grave to dispose of this trash. The bodies were tossed in the back of the van and the doors were able to close tight. The windows were still unbroken and it was voted on, that they will not be buried. No one wanted to work up a sweat for these raiders, and they would just to rot away in the old Chevy conversion van.

Back at the house I gave Carrie a hug and asked her what ammo she was using. “Black tipped AP” she said with a smile. “I’m pretty sure I took the last three out with the first shot, everything lined up just right”
    The routine returned and for the next 3 days we doubled the night time ready team in case others wanted to seek revenge.

Nothing happened, and we did our best to remain ready.

Top Bottom