• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks for the great story you are providing us free of charge. Have a Merry Christmas/ or Happy Holiday which ever you prefer.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Longbow, I'm glad your not publishing this one! (Is the other one out yet? )
    Keep it up! Merry CHRISTmas to the whole Longbow clan!
    GOD bless!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Still working on the details. I've shared some details to a few on Ingo what the book should look like. I'm learning as I go.................some ideas have been reworked, but it will all make sense.....The problem is one group is in NY and the other is in LA.

Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Mike and Caroline were leading the group out to meet the “neighbors” at 5 AM. Erin and Ryan were also part of the team. Temperatures were in the 20’s and a light snow was falling.

Ryan shared the plan details again with the group as they walked down the power line easement east to town. That was the quickest route and it was off the major roads. A few animal foot prints were seen but no movement of the human or animal kind were spotted.

Mike took point and went to the top of the hill, to see if he could see anything.. About half a mile away, he could see the faint glow of a small light or candle that was in the same area as last time they saw the smoke. He waved everyone else to the top of the hill and pointed it out.

“We are not sneaking up on them! I say we move over to the road and stop at the point that we can see that house. If they are like us, they will have an OP or two and I don’t want anyone to get shot,” said Caroline. “We also need to have our rifles slinged after we reach the point of contact.”

Everyone shifted to the road and moved into the ditch on the opposite side or the road from the house. That was all the cover they would have.

“I can see the front porch and there are sandbags in front of several of the windows,” whispered Erin. “We would have done the same thing to protect the front of our house or trailers if it was only 100 feet off the road,” Mike said and he got ready to move to another spot to watch the house.

Each of the four had an FRS radio, but none of them were turned on yet. They didn’t want to broadcast and alert the neighbors that someone was in the area in case they were listening All were tuned to the same channel and that number was also taped to the unit in case was changed accidentally.

“Now we wait and watch to see what our next plan of action is. It is still dark and we might get a glimpse inside if they don’t have blackout curtains.” said Caroline. Mike was about 200 feet from the house and the others were as far out as 400 feet. An hour went by and only two shadows of movement and light were seen from a side window. That was enough information to tell them at least two people are in the house. The eastern sky had a glow, and the front door opened. A small yappy dog ran out, barked at the world and did its business. For the next five minutes, it poked around in the snow marked half a dozen other places. We all watched as a boy in wheelchair came out and made some clapping sounds to get the dogs attention.

Instead of the dog running back in, it wanted to play. The boy in the wheelchair went down the ramp but lost control on the ice and he and the wheelchair fell over. Try as he might, he could not get back up, but the dog was barking to encourage him.

“Need some help” shouted Mike and the kid didn’t react. About two minutes later an older man came out in a robe and helped the boy into the wheel chair and was pushing him inside. The dog must have been cold, because it ran inside in a flash.

Mike shouted, Hello”. The older man turned to the noise and could see Mike waiving a white flag. He shouted, “Hold your ground, need to get dressed and I will come out to talk with you.” Five minutes passed and the man came around from the rear door in a white cammo outfit and some type of shotgun. He shouted to Mike to sling his rifle and walk to the house so he would not have to yell. One of the second floor windows was also now open and we all were pretty sure a rifle was behind curtain number one.

Mike recognized the man as a Pastor John Martin from one of the churches in town and was talking too quiet for any of us to hear. “Everyone but Erin stands up so you can be seen,” Mike said like a drill sergeant he will never be. The second floor window closed and two more people came out to say hello to Mike and the two others walking up to the house. Erin then was asked to stand up and come up also.

Erin had point, while everyone else went inside to talk. They gave the neighbors some medicine and a few cans of canned beef as a gesture of good will.

Jacob, the boy in the wheel chair was the same kid that prevented the loss of the substation many months ago, and he was keen as could be. He and his entire family were asked to help out an older couple before the weather turned and they quickly relocated to do God’s will. They knew being in town could be dangerous and jumped at the chance. The older couple where kids in the great depression, and vowed never to be unprepared again. They had a good supply of bulk foods and the house was built to be heated wood. He said even the stove was wood fired and they had several propane catalytic heaters. The couple passed about two months ago when they ran out of meds and still need to be buried. Before they died, they taught all four of them ways to live off the land.

Everyone laughed when the group said they are going to refer to them as the Eastern Neighbors. He said he was pretty sure no one else within two miles of them are still alive. During recent trips in the area, he checked on about a dozen, and the homeowners are dead or just gone. About half of the homes have already been trashed, but just as many were just and the homeowners left them.

They really are in desperate need batteries; they have a box of rechargeable ones, but no way to power the chargers. Mike took 2 chargers and 24 batteries to take back and recharge. The Martins put together a list of items they need, and some type of trade or swap will be worked out to help everyone out.

Hot bean soup and rolls was served for lunch and Mrs. Martin cooked them on the wood stove. Mike, Caroline, Erin and Ryan thanked them for the great lunch and got ready to leave. Pastor Martin insisted on a prayer before the journey home in thanksgiving and the four left to walk home.

Last edited:

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Jonesing again... can't wait to see how the rebuild goes after the reset switch was thrown ... hmmm a bunch of preppers and a few lucky idiots left to start all over...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    happy new year.............

“Smells like spring, humid like spring, but the firewood smoke ruins it” said two of the kids doing the plant watching in the greenhouse.

Four greenhouses were being used as sheds on the south sides of the buildings. Seeds were sprouting and with the mild winter temperatures, it was not too hard to get them to grow. Daylight was increasing and everyone’s best guess was it was at 70% of what it should be.

“Other than cockroaches and a moth have you kids seen any bugs in the greenhouses,” asked Carrie.

“Nope not even a fly” laughed to two girls who still get upset when they hold worms in the garden soil.
    ---- ----- ----
    I’m sick of everything smelling of chicken poop yelled the manager of the chicken operation south of Fort Wayne at the weekly meeting. We need to start finding people to trade all these eggs and chickens for stuff we need.

The land based “Ark” had exceeded everyone’s expectations. To date the plan for the animals and egg production was moving without a hitch. The only problem is the warehouse is almost full with the freeze dried egg products. They have to start shipping them out and get them to people in need.

Four expedition teams started to prepare the trucks to seek out pockets of civilization. The roads are clear and they have already reached out to people on with a ham radio. The only problem is everyone they have reached is at least 100 miles south of them.
    --- ---- ----
    My head trauma still makes bright days difficult, so I hide in the bedroom listing to the shortwave. For three days I’m been listening to the Egg Man talking about looking to trade eggs and chickens for whatever we can spare. None of us have a clue how he was able to keep his farm going on the scale he is hinting on the radio. He does a good job of being low key, but he might be one of the arks the shipwrecked Astronauts talked about, that were all over the country.

Chickens are on our short list, but he keeps saying his farm is in Northern Indiana and that is still too far to travel. Indianapolis, Anderson and Muncie are uncharted territory and could be dangerous even after the great die off. Next time we run the generator I’ll send him a message and see if we can meet halfway.

John and his kids came back from an all day trip to the east. Our new neighbors have become a stopping off point on the way to town and the search for others continues. Smoke has been spotted at two more places to the east and contact will be made in a day or two. They hope they are friendly, but have to expect the worst, until proven otherwise.

Contact with the FRS radios will be tried but if they don’t have batteries, that idea will be worthless. The next way will be just to shout and see if they come out. No one thinks they will be shooting first, but will be careful and have a white flag to waive. My comment to sing “muskrat love” to get them to come out did not go over like I planned. I volunteered to drive them part way and bring some supplies to our new eastern neighbors, and that went over the way I thought. No one would complain about saving 4 miles of walking in the cold.

I started up the generator to make sure the ham radio transmitter would work and called for the Egg Man. My timing was right and I was able to reach him. A trade was worked out and we both figured a book to use for coded messages. A 2010 Farmer’s Almanac will use it for our code book since both of us have one on the shelf. The test codes will be tried in the next few days and we should be able to work out an exchange when the weather warms some more. Before the disaster, a 170 mile trip to pick up supplies was nothing, today it could be a life changing effort. Driving a small box truck into the unknown is something we can’t do without a plan. Right now, we don’t have enough fuel to make this trip and the Egg Man can’t take the risk to drive all the way to us.

The President made an announcement on the radio and for the first time he was upbeat. Hints of rebuilding, better weather and reconstruction only lifted our spirits. Power plants are going to be brought back on line, but no details on which power plants was given. No one will believe the power is back until the lights work. I have serious doubts anyone is left who knows how to restart the local coal plants. Our area is going to be low on the rebuilding list, and it will be up to us and only us to pull us up by our boot straps.

The four person team was riding in the covered bed of the truck as we made the pre-dawn trio east. They said a brief hello to our new neighbors, and walked into the woods for the next eastern expedition. Before they left, they gave me a map of the estimated locations of the two new neighbors.

Two hours of walk towards the new contacts came to a crashing end for John’s oldest son. He stepped into a smaller animal trap that snapped at his ankles. The group all halted and John opened the trap that grabbed at the sole of his shoe. If the trap was larger he would not be walking from deep gash or a broken ankle. The hike went from carefree to a slow pace looking for traps and other surprises.

Walking another half mile towards the first house was slow but no traps or other surprises were found. Everyone was using a walking stick to probe the ground ahead and they were also looking for anything else that did not fit in. Walking along a frozen creek bed they discovered a trip wire and some type of spring loaded device. The box held a short pipe with a shotgun shell and a spring loaded firing pin. If anyone would have tripped it, several would have been hit from the pellets from the shotgun shell. The box had the striker removed and it was put in a pouch to copy the idea when they got back home.

One word was transmitted on the FRS radio and a click to acknowledge the message was promptly received. Back at the house three of the residents were gearing up to return to the staging point in case extra help is needed to bring them home. They were moving out within 10 minutes.

The first house was spotted by John and he glassed the house to see if he could learn anything. He had great cover and was looking at the house through an opening from a fallen tree. An older man was using a spotting scope on the front porch and was almost looking right back at him. The man was behind a thick pile of firewood and kept slowing scanning, but did not show any reaction when he looked at John’s area. John noticed all the windows were covered and had small slits on them to look out or shoot out. The slits were too small and the house was dark so he could not spot anything in the house. A second man on the back of the house on the deck was doing the same thing. Scanning and looking for anything.

John crawled back to the others and said the meeting for this neighbor is cancelled. When the boys asked why he said they are looking for any movement and the skull on the pike in the front of the house was all he needed to see that they were not friendly. Everyone did a weapons check and clicked the FRS twice to say they were heading back.

After about moving back 200 feet from the fallen tree someone hit a trip wire and set off a shotgun shell. Luck was with them, because it shot in the direction they were going. No one was hurt, but the two men at the cabin started shooting towards the noise and a few rounds zip just overhead or bounced around in the branches. After about 5 or 6 shoots, the two men stopped shooting. John and his boys did not fire back but moved faster to get more space between them and cabin. It is better for them to think an animal or falling branch set it off than shooting back and confirm humans were checking them out.

The wind picked up from the west and snow started to fall that filled in the tracks and impressions the group left while watching the cabin. By the time the four made it to the eastern neighbors house for pickup, two inches of snow had fallen.

The two men at the cabin shared notes on what happened to the west. The both know one of the shotgun trip wires went off but they didn’t see any movement and assumed it was a deer or raccoon moving about. No shots were returned at them when they started shooting and the others in the house did not see any movement. They were confident they were not being probed and would go out after the snow stopped falling, to see which of the units needed to be reloaded. The shifts changed and the two wives took over watching. The men had a tougher time keeping the youngsters under control when the ladies had the watch. Both men were proud that the Halloween decorations out front have been doing a great job at keeping people from messing with them. The 4 kids ran out to play in the fresh snow and both Mother’s kept an eye on the woods for movement.

On the drive back home, John realized he dropped the FRS with the codes and channels tapped to it someplace after the shots were fired. The radio was caught on a branch about three feet off the ground and five feet from the tripped shotgun device. No one could miss the orange cover for the radio. He shared the news, and no one in the truck was happy.

Everyone back home planned for the worst, but hoped they could talk to the new neighbors when they find the radio. This new group didn’t sound friendly, but until they actually met, no one knew for sure.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

Three days passed. Two adults each from the house and the Southern Neighbors had relocated to the Pastor’s house for additional security. No problems with the new potential threat have been encountered. The Pastor and another decided to take another look. The waiting was putting everyone on a hair trigger.

At three AM the team headed down the road to look over the house from the front. Traveling in the woods was too dangerous and the group thinks a view from the road would be less likely to be rigged. Neither talked much and in about three hours they were near the cabin. The two found a big tree to lean against to watch the place. The dim moonlight allowed them to see the smoke from the fireplace was much less than when they first arrived. It was too dark to see anyone in the shadows or on the porch at the cabin, but they both knew someone was watching.
    - - - - -

Burt was cold, bored and wanted to get inside the cabin. Everyone was tired, and on edge since they discovered the radio near the shotgun trap on the west side of the cabin. At least two people were watching them when one of them set off the trap and ran. The radio has been on for two days and not a sound or has been heard. Mary Ann, Burt’s wife had the radio shift and was doing her best to stay awake.

- -- -- --
    The Pastor had his own plan; he was going to use the radio to talk with his new neighbors. His gut said they were listening and he would say hello. At the top of the hour he was going to talk with them and watch what they would do at the cabin.

“Click” made Mary Ann jump as she was listening to the radio. A calming voice came on the radio and said “hello neighbor, I guess you found my radio.” Mary Ann just listened and tapped the glass on the front window with her nails. Burt went to alert but nothing changed outside. He turned on the FLIR he had from when he was working at an HVAC company and within two minutes he could see two heat spots by the big tree down by the road. He tapped two times on the window to let his wife know he only spotted two.
    They felt very confident, no attacks or probes would come from the woods,

“We would like to introduce ourselves to you a half hour after sunrise, we are your distant neighbors and are just saying hello and would like to know if you need any help?” Silence on the radio and the Pastor asked another question.

“Click one time if you would like to meet me. I am a Pastor from the Methodist Church and will come to your mailbox unarmed.”

A strong click came over the radio. Then Mary Ann said she recognized the voice, and both of you can come to the house if you keep your weapons slinged and leave them on the front porch. The Pastor was shocked the voice knew there were two of them and responded with an “Ok” on the radio.

Burt yelled for both of them to walk to the driveway and come over to the house. He asked if anyone else was with them and the Pastor said no. It was still dark and the two figured they had some type of night vision watching them. Burt was scanning the area and didn’t see any new heat sources on the FLIR. If he did the two would be shot without a question.

Mary Ann pushed the remote start button on the 10KW Onan generator and flipped on the front flood lights. She could tell it really was the Pastor and told Burt to lower his rifle. She turned off the exterior flood lights and told the two to hurry out of the cold. The mood for everyone went from battle ready, to just alert. The two visitors were almost breathing normally now and went into the warm cabin to meet the new neighbors.

Top Bottom