• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

It was one of those days where everyone kept to themselves and the routine of the day drove the activities.

Looking around at the sorry old faces, told a new story at the card table. “My bones ache” said one and the other said “My hips hurt”. “The weather is changing” is all I added to the deep conversation.

Thunder snow was booming is the distance and the front OP said it is changing over to ice pellets.

The last few days the weather has been above and below freezing depending on the time of day, and no one cared. Melting the remaining snow and ice is the next phase in trying to get back to normal outside. The weather had been dry for some time and we knew that would change.

The front OP broke radio silence again to say the ice pellets changed to a mix of freezing rain and could someone bring him some hot chocolate. Someone clicked back at him to be quiet and he responded with the right code.

The card game broke off after about another hour. Before the disaster, I thought it would be a great idea to purchase $100 boxes of nickels for an investment in the nickel in the nickels. On paper it looked good, but after the 20th box, I gave up because they started to bend the metal shelf. Since then we have been using them in the card games and not much else.

Several of us poked our heads out the front door and decided to go on the porch to see the rain. It was raining, but it was freezing soon after it hit the ground. A good half inch or more of ice was on the bushes, railing and steps. If this keeps up, the whole area will be a thick sheet of ice.

Dinner time rolled around and it was nothing special. Chores were completed, the two OP’s changed shifts and nothing interesting was shared with the rest of the group. Because of the crappy weather, most of the group retired early. It was still raining when I fell asleep.

I had the 7 AM front OP shift and geared up to take my spot after drinking some hot tea and eating some corn bread. The front screen door was frozen shut and I had to push it very hard to get it to move. What looked like a good two inches of ice on the porch was keeping the door closed. I managed to go out the side door of the garage, but had to stop or I would skate on the ice all the way down to one of the trailers. The ice was thick enough that it would not crunch and break from your weight and was very slick. Nobody was going anywhere till it warmed up.

The oldest barn didn’t look right as I scanned the scene from the doorway. Everything coated with ice and branches that remained were bent or sagging. A few seconds later, some of the metal roof sagged at the old barn and collapsed on the gear we kept in that building. One more roof section shifted but didn’t collapse. I tried to move over to the barn, but after the 5th fall, I retreated to the house. It was still raining, and until it stopped, we all were going to have a tough time doing anything outside. Salvage would have to wait. Snaking back to the garage door, I looked up as two of the kids were asking what the noise was all about. “The barn roof collapse” is all I said. “We can’t see that far, look at the fog rolling in.” By the time I turned around, the fog had rolled over the house and it was very quiet. Things 10 feet away were difficult to see. The fog was pouring into the garage until we shut the door.

They had already clicked the message to the two Ops to stand at the post till relieved. The proper codes came back and then the pig lain Morse code for I need to take a dump slowly came in. No one responded other than the acknowledge code. About thirty seconds later he responded never mind and the crisis have passed. Even with the fog cover soaking up the noise; both Ops could hear us laughing in the house and from the trailers.

Two of the boys were laughing when they said a giant bug was on the front door. Several of us had expected the joke, but they upped it one better with a rubber bat stuck on the inside of the glass. The girls and the ladies let out a scream the brought the men over to investigate. At first glance they had us, but right before bug was hit, the suction cup let go and the toy hit the floor with a squeak. Mist humors at its best, the ladies were not amused.

The freezing rain still was falling but a new sound was hitting us. The sound of breaking branches and ice shattering on the frozen ground was building in intensity. It was nonstop for hours and the joke between us was that when the fog cleared, only tree trunks will be standing. The freezing rain kept coming down into the night, and a few times I woke up to the crashing of trees in the distance. The OPS were still frosted in and both were beyond unhappy!

Being iced in was worse than the super cold because it was just too dangerous to even try to walk outside. There were two pairs of snow shoes, but they were useless with the ice coating. No one wanted to go out and risk falling and getting injured. The ice storm just was not letting up.

The loudest noise ever heard in the house was coming from the roof. Several ran to get under tables and others stood in doorways. The roof was giving way from the sound. Seconds passed and the noise was moving around to other parts of the roof. The house was vibrating and the crashing noise shifted to the front and back of the house. The flashlights were on and nothing was damaged on the ceiling and the windows and walls were still intact.

The noise stopped as quickly as it started. Looking out the front door, there was a three foot high pile of ice on the ground. The ice built up to a point on the roof that it became too heavy for the smooth metal roof and broke free. Thankfully no one was outside when the ice slid off the roof. None of us thought a metal roof would be self-cleaning in an ice storm, but it beats the roof collapsing! The rain was down to a mist but it was still freezing and the fog was just as intense as before.

With the ice off the roof and the fear of collapse reduced, everyone moved into the family room to just hung out and watch the fire. The fun was broken with a knock on the door. Several of us reached for our guns, but we knew who it was. Steve gave up the front OP and crawled up to the house using a hatchet to cut steps in the ice. He was exhausted, cold and wet. With the weather conditions we were having, no two legged animals would be near us for days. Conditions were just too difficult, no one was going to bother us for days if it doesn’t warm up. He stood by the fire and said he needed to sleep. For the rest of the night, the front OP was moved to the front porch and no one complained about working short shifts. We called the rear OP and said come home, but it was too dangerous for her to even try to come up the hill. She said she was doing fine and would just sleep as best she could.

Over to the east, the eastern neighbors were having a tougher time. A sycamore tree had fallen and taken out the porch and a small corner of the cabin. They had already stuffed the opening on the inside with some towels and put a tarp on the damaged corner too keep out the rain. They were telling us the story on the FRS and joking about how the house will look after the repairs. As they were telling some jokes, between one of the pauses in transmission a new voice broke into the conversation.

It was a cry for help, three teenagers had told us the house they were living in was knocked flat from several falling trees and they were hold out in the last standing part of the house. They were cold, wet and hand less than a day or two of food. Most of the remaining food and water was covered when the house collapsed. They gave their location, and the house was about three miles north of the eastern neighbors.

They understood no rescue was possible for at least a day and just knowing that, you could tell they were relieved. They decided after a few minutes that a rescue was not needed and they would come to us. Some introductions and storytelling lead the pastor to invite to his home. The three of them were going to walk south to the Pastors house. The “kids” signed off to save the batteries and soon the eastern neighbors said goodnight.

Everyone headed to bed for another night of crashing branches, falling trees and ice sliding off the roof. A few had the look of what else is going to happen as they said goodnight. Mother nature continues to find new ways to remake our environment, and test our souls.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    My wife is going to keep me very busy for the next few weeks. Mrs. Longbow is back in the hospital having surgery today. She is nervous and the next two weeks will not be fun for her. Many things will be changing for her again and she is tough and will adapt. They say this surgery will fix several of the problems she is having, but open new doors to things we were not thinking about even a week ago.

Keep her in your prayers.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    My wife is going to keep me very busy for the next few weeks. Mrs. Longbow is back in the hospital having surgery today. She is nervous and the next two weeks will not be fun for her. Many things will be changing for her again and she is tough and will adapt. They say this surgery will fix several of the problems she is having, but open new doors to things we were not thinking about even a week ago.

Keep her in your prayers.
    Praying for the best.

45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Ice storms, ooo, what fun. Being mostly from the Pacific Northwest I've never seen one. Don't think I want to either.

Good story. I imagine we'll be here when you get back, I know I will.

Cat

mikeh53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Prayers for Mrs Longbow &

Hi...
    my name is Mike
    I discovered the story two days ago... waiting for more... :o)

We will be praying Mrs L,
    I am not sure where longbow is but we are in SW Indiana... about 45 Min SW of TH...

Top Bottom