• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills
    The bell kept getting pulled and I thought I was dreaming when my wife woke me from my sleep. Several were shouting about getting first aid gear and starting up the truck. Carrie was already half dressed and I was rolling into my clothes and looking for my boots. Everyone had done the drill and it didn’t take long to get the clothes on and grab the go bags. The adrenalin started to get me going as John said grab the burn kit and meet him out in the front of the house.

The truck was already in front and waiting for the last two of us to get in and head up to our northern neighbors. About 5 minutes ago the front OP saw the explosion and fireball and now a red glow can be seen behind the hill and is reflecting off the low clouds.

The truck was just starting to warm up inside as we got to their front gate. It was already open and we drove up to about 150 feet from the burning house. Only the guy in their OP was fully dressed. There were 3 others in various levels of dress and helping the three on the blankets on the ground by the garage and shop. The home was fully involved and the every now and then you could hear ammunition or something else popping off. No one else made it out of the house!

“Bring the burn kit over this way”, shouted Craig. Two of the three injured were badly burned and in a great amount of pain. It took two of the men to hold them as they were wrapped in new blankets to keep them warm. Some of the burns were sloughing off and that was a concern. All we could do for them was to keep them warm and help with the pain. The first aid kit now included morphine, and we gave both of them injections to calm them down. The burn card in the first aid kit helped us estimate that they were both burned over 75% of their bodies and things looked very grim for them.

Craig moved over to help the teenager who I remembered was named Nicholas. He was about 16 and the son of the leader of the group. His burns were on his arms, hands and face. “I tried to get them but the fire and smoke was too much for me” he said as he started to go into shock. He was placed in the truck to keep him warm and Craig finished wrapping his burns.

The focus moved back to the two that were horribly burned. Years back when I was a child, my neighbor was burned when her robe caught fire when she was cooking with a gas stove. Her burns were on 50% of her body and she took 2 months to die in a state of the art burn ward in Chicago. These two are already gasping for air and in much worse shape. The four un-injured survivors on the group were told the bad news and hard choices have to be made. It was their call. The first option was to keep them comfortable, but they most likely will not last more than a few days before infection and breathing problems do them in. The other choice was to overdose them on morphine and let them pass as gently as possible. Both looked to be showing signs of damaged lungs and they will suffer greatly if we don’t do anything radical.

The four were very emotional and decided to go the morphine route. Everyone gathered in prayer and was devastated at the path they decided, but the alternative was just too much. Both of the burn victims were already showing very labored breathing and appeared to be suffering even with the morphine we already gave them.

Since Craig was the unofficial medic, he volunteered to inject the morphine. Both quickly passed and their horrible suffering came to an end. We covered them up and comforted the others as best we could.

The crash of the roof and second floor was loud and the blast of heat and embers blew in our faces. The house and the garage were a total loss. and the rest of the group was lost in the house. 11 were lost in the house explosion and two more just died from burns. 13 lives lost from a propane leak and explosion! I could not grasp the loss; this was so different that what we went through with Mailman Mikes episode.

The fire was already starting to die down, and we figured a search of the area was a smart idea. There was enough light to see and no other injured or bodies were found. The rest of the house had collapsed and burned down into the basement. It was a mix of glowing coals and fire as the sky started to lighten up for the “sunrise”.

Craig drove Nicholas back to our place to clean him up and returned with three more to help salvage what we could.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

“Bite down on the sock” said Craig as cleaned the burns on the side of Nicholas’s neck and face. Every touch to those areas is painful. His face and neck look like only bad second degree burns.

The burns on his arms and hands are much worse. The bandages are still from the first night and we tried to change them but they caused him too much pain. So far the antibiotics are working and keeping the infection under control. One of the emergency burn books talks about leaving on the gauze until the body generates enough puss or fluids to remove them. Any attempted before that happens and we will just cause pain or tear the wounds more. It smells horrible, but so far he is holding his own. Some old sheets and T shirts were boiled and bagged to make new gauze strips when we change them out. In a day or two, they should be removed and might even be able to rinse the burns.

The next two weeks will decide his fate. None of us knows how to surgically clean the burns, and that will only make his recovery take longer. Luckily he didn’t damage his lungs; if he did I doubt he could survive a few more days. The pain meds are to just take the edge off the pain, and not knock him out. He knows we have limited drug supplies and said not to use them all on him.

The other northern survivors are still in mourning. They lost parents, spouses and children, and have not talked much to us. At times, they have done some basic chores to help out. Everyone is giving them space and in a few days we will try to slow bring them into our group. The three ladies are Susan 29, Mary Ann 23 and Elizabeth 16 years old. Nicholas is 19 and Ed is 48 years old. Nicholas is in good metal sprits but the others are still in the denial stage of grieving.

Nothing could be salvaged yet from the burnt out home and attached garage. In the basement are two gun safes, but they are covered in debris and we don’t have the time to see if we can salvage anything from them. Nothing else remains. Several of the bodies are obvious in the debris, but again, it is too dangerous to recover and bury them.

A rough inventory of the outbuildings was done, and they have some supplies and gear that will complement what is with this group. The snow hit hard about 10 hours after the fire and no one has been back since. Right now it is too dangerous to drive the truck in the 15 inches of snow that fell since the house fire. That blank of snow has covered the deceased and protected them from the few human and animal scavengers that might be in the area.

The relocation of the supplies and any salvage of gear will have to wait till the weather and the snow melts off the road.

John was looking over the propane tanks and fittings to see how ours were different from the northern group’s set up. The main difference was ours were done by the propane company. It looks like they bought the gear and hooked it up without any one experienced to check it, and that appears to be the problem. Every tank we have has the regulator at the tank, and special piping or tubing. Theirs had a valve and piping that ran to the house without a regulator. John thinks that somehow the higher pressure pipe or hose was damaged before the regulator in the house and vented the propane gas at a higher pressure into the house. That fed the fire after the explosion making escape from the fire almost impossible.

The 1,000 gallon propane tank they were drawing gas off was empty when John checked it out a few hours after the fire went out. Two other 1,000 gallon above ground tanks that were not connected to the pipe system appear to be almost full and undamaged. In the front of the burned out house was a service cover for another tank that was underground, but it was also empty. Most likely was the tank they exhausted first before switching over to the above ground tank. It also was connected wrong.

Everyone felt better knowing that the propane tanks at this place are not set up the same way and an explosion is less likely to hit us. We will never know who cut corners or just didn’t understand the hazards of installing a propane gas line incorrectly.

Carrie had front door watch this afternoon, and let off an excited scream that sent us going for our gear again. She already had the door open and the cold air blew into the house. Everyone was speechless and just looked to the Southeast. A weak beam of sunlight was breaking through the clouds.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    longbow, the 'pusher of stories'!

Give you just enough that you have to keep comming back.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    enjoy!

Excitement from seeing the sunlight carried on the rest of the afternoon. The sky was cloud free and the sunset was a red and purple color and light cut through the much thinner layer of ash induced haze. The outside temperatures were still winter like, but being outside to see a frosted over sunset was worth gearing up for the show.

Everyone needed to see it. Even Nicholas was able to poke his head out to see the sunset. He looks better and so far he is not showing any signs of infection. His spirits are going to take time to recover losing his entire family.

The dogs even felt like exploring more than usual. The cold had turned them into house dogs because the super cold cracked their pads at times and made walking difficult. The kids thought It was great to see the dogs run up into the woods

Our southern neighbors came by to discuss the food situation and bring some more supplies. Even with the delivery they lost in the fire, the food stocks for the two groups are still in better shape. The food projections based on who survived and the two existing groups still it 28% better than before the tragedy. Several thought more food had been delivered before the fire and were worried our food stocks would be in worse shape.

The visitors came in to eat and we got them to open up on married life. “My wife wants to shop at Macy’s for her wedding gifts” but that will have wait said Mike. A bedroom is being converted to be a hospital birthing room since it is only a matter of time before the space baby will be born. The stranded astronauts are doing great, but wish they have a working ham radio transmitter to let people know they are alive. The short wave receiver is keeping them informed, but they miss being able to talk to anyone for the ISS. They both keep trying to fix the emergency locate beacon on the capsule, but have not been able to make it work. They think it was defective before they returned to earth and don’t have the right parts to fix it. Resigned to being stuck in the Midwest was much better than splashinf down in the ocean.

TVP made to taste like chicken was the main course tonight. Janet said she is still getting use to cooking with it, but it does extend the food we have. Everyone likes the canned meats better but we have to use them on a rotating basis. The added calories have already had an effect. Several of the member’s faces are not as shallow as before and energy levels are up. After cleanup from dinner was done, no one felt like running the generator, and we decided to see if we can go a week or longer without it at the house.

This was going to be a real world test of our back up plans and how we can move water from the basement tank to the kitchen and bathrooms. Before today it was all talk, now we will test it.

Just to be safe, the oil was changed on the generator and key parts were cleaned and inspected. If an emergency happened, everyone wanted to be sure it would still work. The inspection and maintenance shows generator is holding up for the use we have given it.

The younger members of the group headed out at midnight to see if they might see stars. After about 20 minutes, they came and said not yet. The disk of the moon did show brighter so all was not lost. They locked the door and were still talking when my wife and I fell asleep.

The sound of the snow mobile woke me up as our visitors returned home. Breakfast was cold today and I got dressed to take over the afternoon watch. The new way of filling the toilet was a chore, but no one has spilled water on the floor. To be honest, going generator free already was not much of a change.

The front OP was my spot, and even in the cold the air smelled like spring might be coming soon. It felt like winter, but the wind was blowing from the south. In my mind it just felt warmer today. I did my time and not a person or animal was spotted. One side of me said the OP was not needed anymore, but the shootout at the beginning of the crisis at Beth’s house said otherwise. If nothing else, it got us out of the house and back to nature. One of the dogs walked down to me in the OP and just wanted to be petted. It passed the time and I was relieved 8 hours later. The warm fire in the family room felt great and the complaints about going generator free were trivial.

Two of the younger kids up in the loft were upset the battery for the laptop was already dead. Somehow the ladies of the house talked them down to do dishes, and they came downstairs eagerly to do something different. In the firelight, I turned on my Kindle and started reading a classic. Three days ago, I was cleaning out my office and found it in the back of my drawer. I charged it up and it is working just great. The batteries should last much longer than the generator free week. My son loaded it with about 40 books and some of them look half interesting to read. At the moment everyone has plenty of time after the chores are done.

I heard a “come to bed call” from my wife and headed upstairs. Walking down the hallway to the bedroom door, I stepped on something warm and soft with my left foot. As I slipped and was falling backwards, my mind was telling me this is going to hurt.

Top Bottom