• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

18 days have passed and just two radio messages on the short wave were picked up from the President out sailing on the Pacific Ocean. He shared some kind words and gave a weather report from the Space Station Astronaut’s. None of the news was good, but we at least know how cold it is. -89 degrees is the coldest report so far, but that does not include wind chill.

The cold is causing problems with everything. One of the cars is damaged. We forgot to drain the radiator fluid and it cracked the engine block. We found a puddle of gel like oil under it and slushy green liquid and figured out the worst. All the wiper fluid containers were run dry before the freez and the batteries are in the basement keeping dry and “warm”. The vehicles were not put up on blocks, but firewood was put under the axles to take up the load when the cold lowered the air pressure. It was not a perfect system, but at least we won’t see tire damage.

Several of the larger trees have split or cracked in places from the extreme cold. They were not ready for the hard freeze and who knows if they will return to life when spring returns. The crash of falling trees and branches has slowed over the last week, and should be an excellent source of freeze dried lumber in a few months or more if we need it.

Yesterday morning we found a frozen bat and a robin not far from the home. John thinks they were holding out in a cave nearby. The area has many sinkholes, but no man sized cave openings. That lifted the spirits of the kids that where worried that no animals will survive this disaster.

The mood of Craig’s and Mail Man Mike’s families is just horrible. They are starting to rub off on everyone else. I’ve never seen depression like this from being camped up in a small area and how the lack of bright daylight has done to them all. At times, we can hear the yelling!

Bland food and nothing to do is starting to hit us all.

The ladies have created some “cruise ship” activities to break the monotony. The men have restarted a Bible group and that will help lift some spirits. The younger kids have decided to see what they recycle from the trash and make useful items. We even have started to include our neighbor survival group in our games with the FRS radio. That group was happy to be included in our new games. They update us daily at noon.

The last report on the health of that group is better, but they are just getting by. Diarrhea hit them all and at least half of them are still in fragile shape. For two days, the only person we could talk with was 8 year old Billie. No one else was strong enough to get to the radio, and many of us thought they were all going to die. A rescue mission was never planned because none of us wanted to bring the sickness back. The extreme cold and the risk of infection forced us to stand back and do nothing.

A canned ham is the meal tonight for the group dinner. The ladies are boiling it and will mix it with the rice. Everyone likes the smell and it will be a break from the tomato soup and rice we had for dinner the last few days. Canned oranges will be desert.

“Dad, can we start a new game’” said Cassie. “I miss dirty jobs on TV and want to pretend a new show like it”. From that point on, the conversation fell to a new low. Within minutes the new game was Dirtiest Survival Jobs and everyone was laughing at how disgusting some of the chores we have! Mike would be proud of us!

The winner of the dirtiest job was a tie, at first. The toilet paper compactor was bad, but using the strainer to remove the poop from the toilet was just as bad. After a few more heated exchanges, the dumper of the 5 gallon pail of scooped poop to be freeze dried outside was the winner. The things we must do to keep the septic tank working……………..

With the disgusting game over for now, the ladies gave us the 5 minute warning to wash up and line up for dinner.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Nothing of offense was ment by my comment, I had honestly forgotten about the need for prayers in the Longbow household. Hope and prayers be to you and yours Mr Longbow. My deepest appologies.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

"即使在世界范围内的灾难,美国人就是中更好地形状比地球上任何地方留下"
    -------------
    “That is all we can do! We need to leave some fuel for the next group. We bought 3 years for the ISS”
    -----------------
    “Mr. President, the data from the ISS is better than we had prayed for”.
    _________
    “Get your mother, brother and everyone else to see this” I said. Through the cloudless day, a faint disk could be briefly seen trying to cut through the haze
    ---------------
    主席先生,已经发射导弹"
    -------------
    “The fine ash in the Northern Hemisphere is settling out almost three times fast than the Southern Hemisphere. The sun can be seen at times in Alaska, Northern Canada and at random times in the lower 48. The dense super cold air is actually pulling down the ash from the upper atmosphere,” said the science advisor to the President.
    -----------
    “Captain, I have 7, correct that, 9 missiles climbing over China!” shouted the Ballistic Missile Defense Operator on the Aegis Cruiser.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Hmm, can't wait for some back story on THAT!

Also, for the temps you list - are those just numbers you conjured up or was there any research you used that shed light on what the temps could be like?

I don't know, but I would hope to think that it wouldn't get THAT cold...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Albedo of 95% is used. That is very bad. Lots of fudge factoring but what that means is under 1/6th of heat we normally get reaches the surface. The rest goes back into space. On a typical day the Albedo is 30% or 70% of the heat reaches the surface.

I just took the temps in the Antartic and took 30 degrees off and then added some back if they are in areas heated by large bodies of water.

Hmm, can't wait for some back story on THAT!

Also, for the temps you list - are those just numbers you conjured up or was there any research you used that shed light on what the temps could be like?

I don't know, but I would hope to think that it wouldn't get THAT cold...

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Hehe, thanks for the reply longbow - I'm gonna have to do a little more research to see if there are any studies or history on how bad it would get... Makes me go HMM.

Top Bottom