Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The question was just "Is it bad for your health to wear a mask for a long time everyday?".

Clearly it's fine, lots of people do it.

I wasn't even talking about masks being mandatory or not.

Okay.
    Construction/Heavy Industry workers make up a small percentage of the population.
    Because THEY can wear a mask, does not follow that EVERYONE in the population can wear a mask.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The fact that they screwed that up and then doubled down with the "now we say" made cynics of the people they needed to educate, and perhaps rightly so.

Major fail in the hubris/self-awareness department. You reveal an elitist attitude via the assumption that you are right, and the people who don't agree just don't have enough information or are not smart enough to reach a conclusion that they otherwise would if they were only as erudite as you are

Total bull****. No one looks to lawyers to be experts about anything that pertains to areas outside that arcana which constitutes the law

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't really pay much attention and also don't really go anywhere, I am actually curious.

You are overseas right? Do they have a lot of restrictions?
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but no way I'm reading this whole thread.
    I live in France.
    We have masks mandates enforceable by law.
    You can get a fine (from $150 up to $1,800) or even jail time for not wearing a mask in some situations.

Right now there's also a curfew in place but there are some exemptions that allow people to go out past the curfew time.

Some stores are now forced to close sooner because of the curfew.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Okay.
    Construction/Heavy Industry workers make up a small percentage of the population.
    Because THEY can wear a mask, does not follow that EVERYONE in the population can wear a mask.
    I'm not saying that everybody can, or should.

Just saying that the majority of people will be fine to wear a mask for 30 minutes while getting groceries, since some folks wear masks for much longer while doing actual work.

It's fine if some folks don't want to wear a mask but claiming it's bad for your health is just silly.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm surprised we're still debating this after the nonsense about still wearing masks after infection and vaccination. It's obviously not about the science.
    I'd hazard to say it's more about education about the science. The conventional wisdom is, "if I got vaccinated or had the disease, wearing a mask is pointless." It seems that epidemiologists disagree with that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd like to see "freedom-oriented INGO" acknowledge that the use of one's freedom cannot rightly interfere with others' freedom.
    I pass people all the time seeking to 'rightly' exercize their freedom to clog the left lane on the freeway. They think going the speed limit gives them the moral high ground, forgetting that a different section of the law says 'keep right except to pass', and it has no exception for 'unless you're going the speed limit'

And I must assume that these people feel I am interfering with their freedom in some way, because they often will speed up or take other, ultimately futile, action to prevent themselves from being passed

The concept you are overlooking is that INGO does not agree on the boundary conditions between your freedom and theirs, and are unlikely to conclude the shape of that boundary is what you want it to be

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Major fail in the hubris/self-awareness department. You reveal an elitist attitude via the assumption that you are right, and the people who don't agree just don't have enough information or are not smart enough to reach a conclusion that they otherwise would if they were only as erudite as you are

Total bull****. No one looks to lawyers to be experts about anything that pertains to areas outside that arcana which constitutes the law
    We can all agree that a majority of people do not understand why the mask is necessary. People do not have enough information, heck people do not understand how the germ theory of disease works. We see it all around us and on INGO--mask use as making a political statement instead of helping others.

They believe it is a defense against others instead of defending others from them. They also believe it is a political statement. Heck, this thread is in the POLITICAL forum.

I don't care what your opinion of lawyers is, completely pointless. I worry what science says. Science says wearing a mask reduces the threat of us to others. Be responsible, wear a mask when around others.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I pass people all the time seeking to 'rightly' exercize their freedom to clog the left lane on the freeway. They think going the speed limit gives them the moral high ground, forgetting that a different section of the law says 'keep right except to pass', and it has no exception for 'unless you're going the speed limit'

And I must assume that these people feel I am interfering with their freedom in some way, because they often will speed up or take other, ultimately futile, action to prevent themselves from being passed

The concept you are overlooking is that INGO does not agree on the boundary conditions between your freedom and theirs, and are unlikely to conclude the shape of that boundary is what you want it to be
    Well, yeah, you live in Ohio. ;)

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'd hazard to say it's more about education about the science. The conventional wisdom is, "if I got vaccinated or had the disease, wearing a mask is pointless." It seems that epidemiologists disagree with that.

I'd be less skeptical if everything hadn't become so politicized over the last year.

Perfect example:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    No! We, as a society, CHOOSE to work together in areas of mutual benefit. We do not HAVE to do anything we conclude is of no benefit to us
    You do not have to do anything, but you should be ready to suffer the consequences of your choices.
    You can choose to go into a facility that requires a mask, but you should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Hell, I have worn two masks myself. When I go to the clinic I only wear my mask because I have to because I want to go to my appointment. I wear a P100 respirator mask to protect myself from nasties they have there, but it has an exhaust valve. This would get me in most places just fine but it doesn't fool Mayo. They have people at all doors and they see the vent right away and give me a little ear-hanger thing to wear over it.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Oh my lord, will it never end?
    You make your choices and I make mine, actions have consequences.
    If a store asks me to wear a mask, I will. I don't like it but it is a request and I can deal with those. The moment someone tries to MAKE me wear a mask is when I have an issue. Especially when I am outside. People telling me I am endangering them are the issue. According to my thought process if you are wearing a mask and that makes you feel safe, why are you worried about me not wearing one. I am not hugging, touching, or trying to kiss you so just back off! How a person wears the mask seems to have a bigger impact than anything. Are we looking at the "mask police" to enforce this? For how long? This will never disappear and it will mutate. Covid is now a part of our lives forever, learn to cope!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hell, I have worn two masks myself. When I go to the clinic I only wear my mask because I have to because I want to go to my appointment. I wear a P100 respirator mask to protect myself from nasties they have there, but it has an exhaust valve. This would get me in most places just fine but it doesn't fool Mayo. They have people at all doors and they see the vent right away and give me a little ear-hanger thing to wear over it.
    That's one time where wearing two masks makes sense.

One masks protects you if it's a respirator with a proper seal, the surgical mask protects others from you.

Now telling people to wear two masks (regardless of types) doesn't make much sense.
    I don't think there's added benefit to wear 2 surgical masks instead of 1 for example.

It might even be counter productive in some casses.
    I've seen people wearing a respirator on top of a surgical (or cloth) mask ... therefore ruining the seal of the respirator.

cb6627491141a5cdc47741476fbfc5f9ffab7658.webp

They feel more protected but are actually less protected.Kinda like wearing two condoms.

People need to be educated on the different kinds of masks, why and when they should wear them etc.

So far politicians of all sides, of different countries, have failed to that.

And everybody needs to be educated.Not just the folks who "don't believe in masks".

I've seen folks wearing masks when they are by themselves in their car.
    It's silly and they obviously don't understand why they are asked to wear masks in the first place.

People also need to be more compassionate towards one another.

There's no need to attack someone because they decided to wear a mask.
    Same way there's no need to attack someone for not wearing one.

That only causes divisiveness (on top of the political divisiveness) at a time where the country needs more unity.

Wearing a mask is not, and should not be seen as a political statement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom