• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    No, it’s not a logical flaw, it’s a misapplication of argument. He believes the virus is more dangerous than you believe it is.
    Not necessarily. I'm not making my judgement that we should all be wearing masks when out in public because of only the danger of the virus itself; I'm also looking at the outcomes to our country from the continuation of the spread. It seems to me the worst thing we can do for our country, economy, and world is to keep spreading it in such a way that we have to continue with lockdowns, event cancellations, Zoom weddings, permanent restaurant closings, the loss of service-sector jobs, etc.
    He thinks masks are more effective than you think they are: He thinks they’re easier to wear than perhaps you do.
    My answer here is that masks are "some" effective. We don't have to know exactly how much to know that some beats none. Lots of studies show that they have at least some effectiveness. The studies that claim "useless" seem to be testing the effectiveness of stopping the wearer from becoming infected. But that's different than being societally useless. Masks stop at least some respiratory droplets from reaching other people.

I will say that I probably do think masks are easier to wear than anyone on the anti-mask side. I have had no difficulty at all with any of the four kinds I've worn, and I've worn two of those four kinds for more than 6 hours nonstop.

I'm fine with reasonable accommodations for people who have genuine difficulty in wearing masks. Face shields are almost certainly worse, but they probably still block some parts of coughs and sneezes. But people who can't wear masks really hasn't been the discussion here. The discussion has focused on people who can wear masks choosing whether or no to do so.
    I suspect that if you both believed the same things about the circus and bout masks, you’d likely wear masks voluntarily, or not, depending on which of the same side you’re on. That’s why this is not a moral issue. It’s a difference of belief. The sooner everyone understands that, the sooner people can stop talking past each other. And maybe then Josh can get off his moral superiority kick, and you guys can stop thinking you’re so much smarter.
    That it's a difference of belief doesn't mean it's not a moral issue. Just because a person acts on his beliefs doesn't mean he acts morally; not all belief sets are equally moral. That's really easy to prove. Everyone acts on their belief sets. Not everyone acts equally morally.

The longer this public health situation goes on, the worse the outcomes for nearly everyone. There are several countries that have largely moved past this, and I really wish we could join them. There are certainly a number of factors that have all combined to squash this thing, but in every one of those countries, a very high rate of compliance with masking was one of the factors.

Spreading the virus, even unknowingly, is making the situation worse. When a person unnecessarily makes a situation worse for others, I think that's immoral.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not necessarily. I'm not making my judgement that we should all be wearing masks when out in public because of only the danger of the virus itself; I'm also looking at the outcomes to our country from the continuation of the spread. It seems to me the worst thing we can do for our country, economy, and world is to keep spreading it in such a way that we have to continue with lockdowns, event cancellations, Zoom weddings, permanent restaurant closings, the loss of service-sector jobs, etc.
    That's kind of a distinction without a difference. There are a couple main beliefs common to that side of the divide, either of which fits the thing I'm saying. 1) People don't believe that mask work, and/or, 2) people don't believe the virus is any worse than the flu. Either of those are matters of belief, where if they believed the same as you, I'm pretty sure they might have a view of masks closer to yours.

My answer here is that masks are "some" effective. We don't have to know exactly how much to know that some beats none. Lots of studies show that they have at least some effectiveness. The studies that claim "useless" seem to be testing the effectiveness of stopping the wearer from becoming infected. But that's different than being societally useless. Masks stop at least some respiratory droplets from reaching other people.
    It's still an issue of belief. You believe masks are more effective than the people you're morality shaming. Despite the studies suggesting otherwise, people still don't think they work, and that's not because they're idiots. Lots of smart people believe things that are counter to the evidence. Belief has nothing to do with intelligence or morals. The people who think masks don't work don't trust the people who claim they do. A fundamental factor in any belief is trusting the information that led you to the belief.

That it's a difference of belief doesn't mean it's not a moral issue. Just because a person acts on his beliefs doesn't mean he acts morally; not all belief sets are equally moral. That's really easy to prove. Everyone acts on their belief sets. Not everyone acts equally morally.

The longer this public health situation goes on, the worse the outcomes for nearly everyone. There are several countries that have largely moved past this, and I really wish we could join them. There are certainly a number of factors that have all combined to squash this thing, but in every one of those countries, a very high rate of compliance with masking was one of the factors.

Spreading the virus, even unknowingly, is making the situation worse. When a person unnecessarily makes a situation worse for others, I think that's immoral.
    :scratch: Ya. Belief does make something an issue of morality or not. Unknowingly making a situation worse is simply a bad outcome, but it's not immoral. Knowingly making a situation worse is immoral. Well, unless the person arrived at his or her ignorance negligently. For example, you gotta do something with all the sick covid people, so rather than consult with experts and try to figure out the least harmful course of action, WHICH IS CAN BE NOT DOING ANYTHING, you shove them in nursing homes. And then covid spreads to other residents and they all die. That would be immoral.

But, if you really believe wearing masks won't do anything to stop covid, and/or you believe that covid really isn't any worse than the flu, and so you don't wear masks and you don't really do much in the way of social distancing, and then that causes other people to become infected and have a bad outcome, yeah, that's a bad outcome. It's not immoral. And it's not for the lack of intelligence, or effort in trying to figure out what's right. It's belief, and that's predicated on trust in sources.

I don't think that people who have a different belief about the virus and about masks, have not arrived at their present state from immoral motives. At least not any less moral than you. They've arrived at the place they are, partly because of information bubbles, and temperament, neither of which involve morality.

So what I'm telling you, you're only going to make enemies by insisting that they're all behaving immorally. I don't know why you're so fixated on it being a moral issue. I mean. Isn't it a relief that they're all not sociopaths?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom