• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    The positive case rate is essentially unchanging after the mask mandate, but the relaxation of social distancing, even while masks are still mandated, precipitates a spike in cases

So how is that an argument in favor of the efficacy of masking, exactly?

Regardless of what the governor of California might think, it is not possible to eat in a restaurant, nor drink in a bar, while wearing a mask.

ETA: somehow skipped a page of posts addressing this already, lol!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Everywhere I look there's "record cases" and "record hospitalizations". Everywhere I go 100% of people are masked 100% of the time. Still waiting for the Church of the Mask's ceaseless prayer and devotion to deliver us from the rona. I'm sure those cases will vanish any day now. :rolleyes:

Insanity is wearing the same face diaper for six months and expecting a different result.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Everywhere I look there's "record cases" and "record hospitalizations". Everywhere I go 100% of people are masked 100% of the time. Still waiting for the Church of the Mask's ceaseless prayer and devotion to deliver us from the rona. I'm sure those cases will vanish any day now. :rolleyes:

Insanity is wearing the same face diaper for six months and expecting a different result.

I said this (that most people are wearing masks) a few weeks ago on the local health department’s Facebook page when there was a big spike. People went insane saying that hardly anyone is wearing them or wearing them improperly. I still pay attention at the stores and make no effort to go at certain times, 99.9% of people are wearing masks and properly. A very minuscule few (less then 20 in the past month) are wearing no masks or improperly. That is four different stores or more, some more expensive (like meijer or sams) and some cheaper (like Walmart and dollar general). I firmly believe that wearing masks are not the problem and if officials keep on screaming “wear a mask, not for you but for me”, people will actually stop wearing them as much.

As for myself, I do when I have to, but only then. It comes off ASAP. Unlike some who wear them in their car when they are by themself.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

I said this (that most people are wearing masks) a few weeks ago on the local health department’s Facebook page when there was a big spike. People went insane saying that hardly anyone is wearing them or wearing them improperly. I still pay attention at the stores and make no effort to go at certain times, 99.9% of people are wearing masks and properly. A very minuscule few (less then 20 in the past month) are wearing no masks or improperly. That is four different stores or more, some more expensive (like meijer or sams) and some cheaper (like Walmart and dollar general). I firmly believe that wearing masks are not the problem and if officials keep on screaming “wear a mask, not for you but for me”, people will actually stop wearing them as much.
    As for myself, I do when I have to, but only then. It comes off ASAP. Unlike some who wear them in their car when they are by themself.

It's a new "fad" in some places... 5 weeks ago on a trip up to Des Moines, didn't see a SINGLE mask in the smaller bergs in Illinois, Missouri and Iowa when stopping for gas/bio/food. I suspect it's catching on there now, in those red counties on the dashboard map, as indicated in this post from two weeks ago (11/18):

I have no problem if people want to wear a mask if it makes them feel better. Actually around Greenfield lately i've noticed a pretty high level of compliance in stores etc. I don't agree with mandates though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen several guys with veterans hats on they are wearing a cloth mask or a surgical mask or a neck gator. I ask them if they remember their NBC training they all say they do not many of us forget the most unpleasant training in mopp suit at 118 degrees. I then ask if they think the mask they are wearing is going to stop the biological covid19. They all said no. I ask why wearing the mask? They responded to appease people. Is everything wearing one to appease people even though you know it won't help you?

So now someone who's gone through NBC training is considered an expert in viral epidemiology?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Masks work to some degree, it isn't a very large degree.

Social distancing works even better.

So long as schools, bars, restaurants are open, it is going to keep spreading. I'm not saying to shut all of that down, but when you pack folks into small spaces, they are going to spread whatever they have.

Eventually we'll all have it, and it will be like the cold or flu and we can die or move on.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Reductio ad absurdum.

No. It's really not. You don't need to be an expert to assert that your expert knows more than the other. This is basically the climate change debate. Few people really know the ****. But internet experts scour the webs for someone that purportedly knows the ****, and then says the thing they want said. Internet arguments like that aren't arguments about actual facts. They're arguments between people who don't really know anything but can use Google to find the evidence that supports their belief. Well, **** climate change. And **** masks. And **** "experts". Do masks work? I'm not about to say I know. But there is no shortage of internet experts who've already made up their minds one way or other, who are quite eager to share their freshly Googled expert's opinion.

So dispensing with the process, I'll deduce that I suspect they might help people not spread it to other people. Not gonna keep other people from spreading it to you. And they're most likely overrated.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Always wondered what that phrase meant.

Reductio ad absurdum = reducing [an argument] to the point of absurdity - taking an argument to an absurdly illogical point of conclusion, using an illogically strained analogy, etc.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I think the science is pretty clear that face masks are not very effective. As for wearing them "properly," you cannot have facial hair and get the mask to seal properly against your skin. Maybe about half the guys I see in masks have facial hair meaning the mask cannot attain it's expected level of effectiveness.
    The "effectiveness" of masks is as a test of people's willingness to be obedient to our government masters. It also makes many people feel better, the same way a placebo makes people feel better, and because it lowers their fear level, even helps their immune system to function as intended.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Nearly everywhere I go even restaurants, all I see are people wearing them like this, which does.... nothing
    shutterstock_1704465010.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nearly everywhere I go even restaurants, all I see are people wearing them like this, which does.... nothing
    shutterstock_1704465010.jpg

Maybe that's all you see because that's all you're looking for.

I see a lot of folks "dick nosing" with masks, but I see a lot more wearing them as properly as can be.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think the science is pretty clear that face masks are not very effective. As for wearing them "properly," you cannot have facial hair and get the mask to seal properly against your skin. Maybe about half the guys I see in masks have facial hair meaning the mask cannot attain it's expected level of effectiveness.
    The "effectiveness" of masks is as a test of people's willingness to be obedient to our government masters. It also makes many people feel better, the same way a placebo makes people feel better, and because it lowers their fear level, even helps their immune system to function as intended.

The vast majority of the 'masks' I see can not ever be very effective because they are just diapers and have no chance of sealing to the wearers face at all whether they have facial hair or not. If the mask does not seal its main purpose is for show.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom