churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's about all you can do.

Everyone is trying to figure out what the right thing to do is, and sometime that looks pretty dumb to others.

Sometimes the stupid hurts, but... I guess it's their stupid.

In the absolute truth about this I can not even call her/them stupid. I see people freaked the hell out over this. Others such as me and mine are well over it.
    What they may appear to be through our eyes I can only imagine us through theirs and such is the divide.
    I will respect your business as to the idiocy of our elected children......err leaders and I will wear that idiot face diaper but trust it gets harder every time.

Again, that is my opinion. That and a $1 might get you a small :coffee: and nothing more.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In the absolute truth about this I can not even call her/them stupid. I see people freaked the hell out over this. Others such as me and mine are well over it.
    What they may appear to be through our eyes I can only imagine us through theirs and such is the divide.
    I will respect your business as to the idiocy of our elected children......err leaders and I will wear that idiot face diaper but trust it gets harder every time.

Again, that is my opinion. That and a $1 might get you a small :coffee: and nothing more.

I agree. Quite a big deal is being made about my county being the first in Ohio to reach the highest classification (purple, of all things) of risk on the state's four level warning system. But if you bring up the Ohio Dept of Health covid dashboard, you can see that the 7 benchmarks for warning levels are backwards looking for 3 weeks, and a county has only had to meet a given benchmark for any period of time during that three weeks for the benchmark to be considered met, so we went purple because one metric worsened and no consideration was given to the fact that four other metrics had peaked around the first week of October and were already declining significantly. Based on a look under the hood, I expect our time as a level IV county to last about a week. Additionally, the benchmarks are based on rate of change, so Cuyahoga County (includes a lot of Cleveland) actually is steady at a hospitalization rate twice what ours was at peak, but because it isn't getting worse they don't meet that metric and are one rung below us

Then in another area of the dashboard, I can see that the overwhelming majority of new cases is among the young, with the median age being 42, and the overwhelming majority of the death being among the old with the median age being 80 and 75% of all the dead encompassed with in the 70-79 cohort and those 80+

None of this to me requires that we change our routines one iota, but the constant drumbeat of hype will continue to weigh upon my wife who still believes that what we are being told isn't being slanted

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Now that the nightly news on "local" stations across the land carried the same one liner about there being "no get out of jail free card" with the use of vaccines, that masking and distancing and staying at home aren't going to end...
    Is it time to invest in pharmaceutical companies marketing anti-depressants?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

Lol!

Though I bet he won't do the same presentation showing things that put people in close proximity for long periods of times without masks... like restaurants and bars at 100% capacity.

Here, I did one for Indiana:

iwr3sf8.png

Things that make you go hmmm...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Lol!

Though I bet he won't do the same presentation showing things that put people in close proximity for long periods of times without masks... like restaurants and bars at 100% capacity.

iwr3sf8.png

The age groups that typically frequent 'bars' are driving a lot of the new infections so it's possible but they are also younger so big deal.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Lol!

iwr3sf8.png

The positive case rate is essentially unchanging after the mask mandate, but the relaxation of social distancing, even while masks are still mandated, precipitates a spike in cases

So how is that an argument in favor of the efficacy of masking, exactly?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The positive case rate is essentially unchanging after the mask mandate, but the relaxation of social distancing, even while masks are still mandated, precipitates a spike in cases

It isn't, at least it isn't a good argument. It points more to the irrelevance of masks compared to distancing.

Speaking of distancing - why so they call it 'social distancing'? It seems more like physical distancing. 'Social distancing' is more like ignoring your friends.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it might be because most distancing would be applied to friends and acquaintances, not family - basically you would be holding your social circle at a distance, and stranger to stranger distancing got folded into that

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think it might be because most distancing would be applied to friends and acquaintances, not family - basically you would be holding your social circle at a distance, and stranger to stranger distancing got folded into that

Still physical distancing - and I think the distancing would apply more to strangers than friends - at least I would apply it that way.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

The mask "mandate" in Indiana has never been a mandate at all. It was roughly as effective as if I had yelled at raccoons that the new rule was that they must stay out of my cornfield.

Masks were never mandated while eat/drinking in a bar or restaurant.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

I would tend to measure 'social distancing' by a reduction in encounters, such as face-to-face, texting, emails, etc.
    While I would measure physical distancing in well... distance... like in six feet.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The mask "mandate" in Indiana has never been a mandate at all. It was roughly as effective as if I had yelled at raccoons that the new rule was that they must stay out of my cornfield.

Today the manager of an establishment which got added to my permanent GFY list insisted Holcomb rolled out fines for businesses which do nor enforce the mandate. I really don't know if it is the truth or not. I do know that I take the position that people who want to interfere with my breathing should not be breathing themselves.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Are you of the Gavin Newsom camp that you should take a bite or drink and then replace your mask lol. What makes mask mandates effective?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I would tend to measure 'social distancing' by a reduction in encounters, such as face-to-face, texting, emails, etc.
    While I would measure physical distancing in well... distance... like in six feet.

Actually I am off topic with this - sorry about that.
    It will always be called 'social distancing' no matter what I think. That is the accepted term by the ministry of truth and thoroughly ingrained in the people. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually I am off topic with this - sorry about that.
    It will always be called 'social distancing' no matter what I think. That is the accepted term by the ministry of truth and thoroughly ingrained in the people. :)

Actually I think it's a throwback to the original meaning of being "social". You know, when people used to actually talk face-to-face instead of facebook-to-facebook?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've seen several guys with veterans hats on they are wearing a cloth mask or a surgical mask or a neck gator. I ask them if they remember their NBC training they all say they do not many of us forget the most unpleasant training in mopp suit at 118 degrees. I then ask if they think the mask they are wearing is going to stop the biological covid19. They all said no. I ask why wearing the mask? They responded to appease people. Is everything wearing one to appease people even though you know it won't help you?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Are you of the Gavin Newsom camp that you should take a bite or drink and then replace your mask lol. What makes mask mandates effective?

Nope. Trying to point out the flaw in pretending that the mask mandate means mask wearing. And bars/restaurants are only indoor spaces where none of the patrons are wearing masks.

Like any law (both the good ones and the bad ones), enforcement is a big part of effectiveness.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I suspect that constantly handling your mask in order to remove and replace it between sips and/or bites would be worse than useless

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You guys are just hysterically funny, all into minutiae of numbers of a virus that doesn't give a s**t what humans do. It is going to spread and we cannot stop it...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom