Preference: traditional or pistol grip stock for shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm strongly considering going to a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock on my Benelli Super Nova LE Tactical. I don't mind the look of the traditional stock but for some reason I feel either the angle of the portion you put your hand around or the distance to the trigger(maybe a combination of both) causes me to have to break my wrist forward quite a bit when I shoulder the gun. Basically it's a little annoying and uncomfortable. I've never noticed it before on other shottys with a traditional stock.

So, my question is for those that have went to pistol grip stock. How do you like it? I've read the transfer of recoil to your shoulder is different and some of it transfers to your hand since the whole stock is not linear like a traditional stock. How true is that and how much is it a bother? This is not a shotgun I'd shoot all day long. This would be one of a few HD guns. I have a Remy 1100 for all day use. Unfortunately I've not shot a shotgun with a pistol grip stock.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    If your breaking the angle when shouldering the gun. The stock is to short for you.

The trational shotgun grip is straight stock or english style.

Your talking about a drop drown pistol or AR style pistol grip. It does limit the usefulness of the gun.
    It makes it taller over all. And makes it much harder to fire from different positions than shoulder mounted.

I would want that on a short barreled or coach gun. Help with recoil with no shoulder stock

When shooting over head(over a barrier)
    Shooting from the hip or transitioning for side to side. The AR style grip is harder. Its not impossible just more difficult.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I had a pistol grip on a pump shotgun, never cared for it, hard to flip over and reload. I prefer traditional stock on a pump, haven't had enough semi autos to compare. The pistol grip, to me pushes the grip into the hand harder than the traditional stock, which lets the hand ride the curve of the stock...this is my opinion only, and more experienced shotgunners might be better suited to comment. YMMV

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Your talking about a drop drown pistol or AR style pistol grip. It does limit the usefulness of the gun.
    It makes it taller over all. And makes it much harder to fire from different positions than shoulder mounted.

I would want that on a short barreled or coach gun. Help with recoil with no shoulder stock

When shooting over head(over a barrier)
    Shooting from the hip or transitioning for side to side. The AR style grip is harder. Its not impossible just more difficult.
    So no different than any other long gun utilizing a pistol grip. Seems it would be pretty intuitive to me.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've shot 870s with the pistol grip and don't care for it. Like others have said, it transfers the recoil into the web of your hand rather than your shoulder. It also makes certain manipulations awkward. Yes, it's similar to an AR grip, but you don't stuff individual shells into the bottom of an AR, nor do you pump it.

That said, I'm 6'5" with long hands and arms, so the traditional factory stock and factory length-of-pull fit me well. YMMV. I've heard good things about the Magpul stock from folks who prefer a shorter LOP, if you want to consider a different option without the pistol grip.

danowen12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2024
    Greenwood
    The only time I would recommend an actual “pistol” grip like what you’d see on your ar for a shotgun is if you need to be able to manipulate your firearm one handed. This style grip allows you to do so more freely than a “traditional” grip you are referring to. The pistol grip transfers a lot more recoil to your hand than a standard shotgun grip. At least in my opinion

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I tried a tactical pistol grip and did not like it, seemed more difficult to do shotgun stuff with. I too also got a Benelli Super Nova and the traditional semi-pistol grip (though I think some shotgunners would call it a traditional full-pistol) and have enjoyed it ever since.

IDK if I would like a straight English-style grip, as I did not enjoy that on my Winchester lever gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom