This infraction thing is kind of ridiculous.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Lets discuss.....

I think you're taking me a little out of context. It's simply a sarcastic rant sir. Im not saying I don't appreciate the people and volunteers here

I can see that you're upset, but I also see you hating on the staff. As someone who used to be on that staff and took far more than my fair share of crap, I take that very personally. The staff doesn't deserve your rant, and when you create a public thread to publicly post your rant, it certainly makes it sound like you don't appreciate the work they do. A more adult response would be to PM a moderator (it doesn't even have to be the same one that infracted you) and say "I see that I violated the rules and I'll try to avoid it in the future" or "I disagree with the infraction. Would you please review it with me to see if it was appropriate?" The mods are human and they do make mistakes too, and they're also not unreasonable and can reverse an infraction when warranted.

As you joined in 2009, you were here when the Classified rules were very publicly discussed and the members DEMANDED that the staff be given no latitude or leeway in enforcing them. Therefore, every violation of the Classifieds rules that a moderator finds results in an infraction. The staff has no discretion in the matter. With the recent uptick in joke Classified ads, people badmouthing asking prices, and so forth, the staff have been spending considerably more time in there keeping things under control and it's STILL a losing battle.

So, my question remains. If you think that the staff shouldn't issue Classified infractions for rule violations, what should they do to best maintain the integrity of the Classifieds?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've been spanked here for doing what was asked of me but not quite in the INGO way. I got over it. Kind of like getting your first negative feedback on EBay, it stings for a while.

What, exactly, did you do to get spanked? I'm just asking for a friend.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    It's not my first. It's my 2nd in a week. Guy responded to my ad asking a question.....I answered it.....and the same guy threw me an infraction for bumping my post too soon. Hmmmmm. My fault. I misinterpreted the rules. I wasn't trying to bump it but just answering his question where everyone could see the answer and not just the question. If I had pm's him the answer, it would look to everyone else like I'm avoiding the question. I know now. Still thought it was pretty stupid though.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    Grandmaster scutter1. Please..... I'm sorry you're taking this personally. I can tell by your post count this isn't just a hobby to you. I apologize to anyone I offended.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If I had pm's him the answer, it would look to everyone else like I'm avoiding the question. I know now. Still thought it was pretty stupid though.

The reason for this is because people game the system by leaving out critical info in the ad so that people will ask for it and they can answer. This makes the ad stay bumped to the top of the "New Threads" list. And yes, this does happen. Some of the people who post in the classifieds are unscrupulous about looking for loopholes to keep their thread at the top and it's very unfair to everyone else.

The preferred method is to answer it in your top post or wait for the 24-hour bump to answer it. If you decide to wait for your bump, you can still PM the info to the asker. I like to copy the asker's question as well, that way everyone reading the thread can see both the question and the answer in the top post. Please see this thread for an example:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sk_11_6_netbook_and_a_piece_of_ingo_lore.html

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    It's not my first. It's my 2nd in a week. Guy responded to my ad asking a question.....I answered it.....and the same guy threw me an infraction for bumping my post too soon. Hmmmmm. My fault. I misinterpreted the rules. I wasn't trying to bump it but just answering his question where everyone could see the answer and not just the question. If I had pm's him the answer, it would look to everyone else like I'm avoiding the question. I know now. Still thought it was pretty stupid though.

I believe the answer to allot of hard feelings to acquiring infractions on the classifieds would be to not allow posts to the OP's thread. Reply only by PM and edit the original post for change in status. This has been proposed before here by other members.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Please..... I'm sorry you're taking this personally. I can tell by your post count this isn't just a hobby to you. I apologize to anyone I offended.

I appreciate that and there are no hard feelings. I understand that an infraction is not necessarily pleasant and just ask that you remember that the mods are volunteers and that they don't have some sort of vendetta against you or anyone else. If you PM them with a reasonable request, they will listen. You may not always hear the answer you want, but they will listen.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I just kinda feel like I got a ticket for 36 in a 35 I guess. I'm cool. I did the crime. Ill do the time.

I know, kinda sucks getting caught doing something that you were not aware was against the rules. As I have said before, the devil is in the details. At least the good thing on the infractions is, they are meant more of a attention getter to re read the FAQ than a real punishment. The punishment can be dealt as time out from posting to being banned.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I believe the answer to allot of hard feelings to acquiring infractions on the classifieds would be to not allow posts to the OP's thread. Reply only by PM and edit the original post for change in status. This has been proposed before here by other members.

We talked about that many times. We decided that the major downside to that is that the OP rarely (if ever) will copy that info back into the top post from his PMs. Who knows, though. They may decide to go that route in the future.

Personally, I'd like to see ads that are "feature complete". You know, with all the information already there. Again, you can see my ad already linked as an example. I'd like people to remember that their ads are ADS! The more information you can put in there (especially well-lit, in-focus photos of the actual item!) the more attractive it will be to potential buyers. Something like
    "hey i have a G22 for sale for 300 text my cellphone if you want it im on my phone driving to texas right now so i cant post pics but maybe ill do it in a couple of weeks when i get back"

is a really really bad ad. There is nothing attractive about that ad at all, and yet it's the majority of our ads. In many cases, I feel like the seller isn't at all interested in selling their item.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    It just irks me because it was late at night and it was a mistake. I see people all the time say the most horrible things to other members and nothing gets done. It's like the cop ticketing a j walker while people are robbing a bank down the street. Whatever. I'm over it. Ill prolly get banned for life for even posting this, but I feel I have been a good member to this community. i have given and received advise here often. I have referred MANY people to this site in the 3 + years.

He used the word "Prolly" :nono:

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    We talked about that many times. We decided that the major downside to that is that the OP rarely (if ever) will copy that info back into the top post from his PMs. Who knows, though. They may decide to go that route in the future.

Personally, I'd like to see ads that are "feature complete". You know, with all the information already there. Again, you can see my ad already linked as an example. I'd like people to remember that their ads are ADS! The more information you can put in there (especially well-lit, in-focus photos of the actual item!) the more attractive it will be to potential buyers. Something like

is a really really bad ad. There is nothing attractive about that ad at all, and yet it's the majority of our ads. In many cases, I feel like the seller isn't at all interested in selling their item.

I agree with all you say. My feelings are if you really want to sell something then put some effort into the ad as you stated. Feature rich, concise, detailed and good photos. Good clear advertising works wonders to sell a product.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree with all you say. My feelings are if you really want to sell something then put some effort into the ad as you stated. Feature rich, concise, detailed and good photos. Good clear advertising works wonders to sell a product.

Of course, the netbook in my ad didn't sell, so it kinda destroys that theory, but I still stand by it. :D

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Scutter, LAPD, and Pami were and are some of the easiest to get along with and will privately discuss issues with you and even take you down off the ledge... Sometimes **** happens. Your never happy... I got dinged last week for asking a question in the WTS ads... No biggie now... I was pissed when it happen... You'll get over it.

Keep in mind the new guys are a bit less forgiving the the older mods...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Grandmaster scutter1. Please..... I'm sorry you're taking this personally. I can tell by your post count this isn't just a hobby to you. I apologize to anyone I offended.

Scutter01 was a Staffer for a looooong time, from Day 1, so he knows what he's talking about as he dealt with such matters over and over and over again. I think he did a pretty good job answering your questions (rant?).

But I will add this-- understand that your infraction, much like a j-walking ticket, isn't personal. It's not our way of "getting back at you". We have rules, you (admittedly) broke them (for whatever reason-- misunderstanding, ignorance, etc), and we enforced them by sending you a reminder (infraction). Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom