This infraction thing is kind of ridiculous.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Now you know that the classified section is a trap;) that's where most :ingo: members get their infractions:D

I agree with that! If I need to ask anything in the classifieds I use PM. I NEVER post anything in the OP's thread, not even PM sent. I have on one occasion after I purchased just so the Itrader URL link would be there. Since then however, I read the FAQ on how to leave Itrader rep by cut and pasting the URL and going from the Itrader page of the recipient. So now, no posts, just PM's. Works for me. No infractions for a inappropriate post or a early bump by the OP.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    OK, esrice, since you are here, I have a question... Since this member has been "infracted", how does he close the other thread, if the item is sold...
    Looks to me like a lot of PM's, till Feb 26th, or whatever the date... Just a question, I have never used the classifieds, to sell....

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    Could a mod please close my thread for the the charter arms so I don't get another infraction please. It sold this morning. Sorry for any trouble I caused. I never imagined this many people visited this area of the site. Wow! 8 pages in just a few hours

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I see A LOT of "PM sent" posts on numerous ads. Isn't this an infraction?

No. The basic rule is that if you don't have a serious, material interest in the item for sale, then keep your trap shut. We don't want to know if you think it's over-priced, or it's a great gun, etc. If you're not buying the item, you don't need to be bumping the ad with a "free bump" or whatever. If you DO have an interest and want to ask a question about it, feel free. Pertinent questions directly related to the ad are about the only thing actually allowed.

Lots of people try to hide their pricing complaints by asking snarky questions like "What makes this gun better than the one that's on sale at Store X for only $200?" or by offering a major low-ball price. The mods are onto that one and that will draw you an infraction. If you're not buying, stay out of the thread. It's very simple. Here's another thread with more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...890-off_topic_comments_in_classified_ads.html

I can't tell you how many people just cannot control themselves and feel that they just HAVE to warn everybody about a given ad. The ad is between the seller and a potential buyer and no one else should be getting involved in that thread.

OK, esrice, since you are here, I have a question... Since this member has been "infracted", how does he close the other thread, if the item is sold...
    Looks to me like a lot of PM's, till Feb 26th, or whatever the date... Just a question, I have never used the classifieds, to sell....

Use the Report Post function.

Could a mod please close my thread for the the charter arms so I don't get another infraction please. It sold this morning. Sorry for any trouble I caused. I never imagined this many people visited this area of the site. Wow! 8 pages in just a few hours

Use the Report Post function to report your own post. I also recommend this if you make an error that you think will draw an infraction. The mods are not d-bags and will not infract you if you make a mistake and have to report your own post.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN

I thought you could go to the thread tools on your ad and close it yourself? I believe that is waht I have done.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I thought you could go to the thread tools on your ad and close it yourself? I believe that is waht I have done.

OP says he has two infractions right now, which means he's locked out of the classifieds until they expire. Only a mod can close it now and reporting the post is the best way to let them know.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thank you Scutter. I learned something today. I had always been hesitant to post "PM sent" thinking it was a violation. :)

To be honest, people could game the system by saying "PM sent", too, but it's a neutral comment (offering no price bashing) and the mods would notice if the same person kept saying "PM sent" over and over in an ad. Back when it was discussed, it was felt that the benefit outweighed the potential for abuse. At least this way, people have a way to "get in line" to buy the item. Not that the seller has an obligation to sell to the first person, though.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I got my 1st infraction after the mad panicky buying started. I tried to help someone out in their thread instead of a PM. 6 weeks ago my comment would have been ignored or I would have gotten a warning, but since everyone got all butthurt over so called gouging I got swept up with the rest of them.

The mods had no choice but to enforce the rules to the letter. Whiney people is why we cannot have nice things. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The bottom line is that if you HONESTLY believe that you have a personal interest in buying the item, then you shouldn't be afraid to post a question in the thread. It will be obvious to any mod that looks at it.

Of course, when I say "honest", I mean "honest". Not "I'm going to just tell the mods that I'm buying the gun, but really what I'm doing is warning everyone that it's overpriced." That will be equally obvious to any mod that looks at it.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Or, she is looking to buy an M1A.

I'm guessing that since it was me who gave you the infraction that you are talking about me. I'm the only female mod. I have no idea what you are talking about though.

I'm new here, and I'm sure I'll screw up without meaning to. I'm not sure exactly how the postings work, and I've sent several messages to moderators on how to posts photos and havent gotten a responce. I'm barely computer litererate, so I need all the help I can get. Someone tell me how to post pics like I'm seeing on here? Thanks in advance.

You have not sent anything to me asking how to post pictures. You are better off posting in the Forum Support forum for these questions though as you have no idea how many messages we get. Some messages may get over looked.

Here is the tutorial on how to post pictures which coincidentally is a sticky on the Forum Support/Suggestions forum :) .
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gestions/12974-posting_pictures_tutorial.html

I closed all of your open ones. If you need them edited or anything, hit the report post button that looks like this
    report.gif
    and we'll be happy to take care of it.

It appears that you'll be back in the classifieds 02-07-2013 06:14 (but it may be a little after the 6:14 timing). I'd say by 7am you should probably be able to get back in.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It appears that you'll be back in the classifieds 02-07-2013 06:14 (but it may be a little after the 6:14 timing). I'd say by 7am you should probably be able to get back in.

The script that expires infractions runs at the top of the hour.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thank you Scutter. I learned something today. I had always been hesitant to post "PM sent" thinking it was a violation. :)

Of course, every time someone says "PM sent" they have now bumped the person's ad back to the top where it's more likely to be seen. If you are actually interested in something then informing everyone else out there that it's for sale could be a negative thing for you. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom