• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    A good analogy is gasoline. When it hit a buck in 1979, we all felt the same way. Gas backed off to .79 or so and we were happy. Keep in mind that gas had been around .30 a gallon till then (showing my age!) In 2007 we were again shocked when prices reached $4.50 a gallon. Now anything near $3 is considered a bargain. Ammo and gun prices are likely to go down at some point and we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief. The prices are not likely to return anywhere near to what they were.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    And remember that it's all _relative to the worth of the dollar_. That's the fun of inflation. $100 today is NOT worth $100 from 1979. It's RELATIVE. Probably a better measure would be milk (whoops gotta be careful there) or beef or something compared to ammo or something.

This is classic supply and demand with an artificial constraint trown in for good measure.

Not fun -to be sure, but very logical.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I wouldn't count your chickens. Nothing real has been avoided. We are still barreling down the road to financial ruin as a country.

You and I "avoided" $20 gal milk and the ability to watch our economy grow. Our "representatives" avoided, yet again, accountability for their egregious mismanagement of our money.

The cliff still looms despite what the pundits regurgitate.

To put it in perspective; We are deeper in debt, per capita, than our friends in Greece and are taking no real steps to fix that.

Agreed. My point is that politicians can spend a couple of days congratulating themselves on how great of the job they did to save us all from doom. Once they bleed out that publicity, they can jump on the gun control bandwagon. Its all about TV face time to take credit and pass the blame.

In no way am I implying they everything is on the right path or that this was an actual solution. I love how the news reports it as tax only increased for the 1% making over $400K, but ignore the SS portion of your FICA went from 4.2% back to 6.2% for EVERY SINGLE employee that receives a W-2.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was bitten by the bug just a couple months pre madness as well. Had been doing a LOT of research narrowing down what I wanted to pick up but now I will have to wait a while I think.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I was bitten by the bug just a couple months pre madness as well. Had been doing a LOT of research narrowing down what I wanted to pick up but now I will have to wait a while I think.

That was what I was afraid of, it makes it hard to get into the hobby when prices are like this, that sucks in general.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Well they will at some point if a ban is not passed, after the last ban ended everything started high and then went down, and ever since our current president was elected it started going up again.

It took about 2 years for that to happen. It was similar in Jan. 2009, just after the election. It wasn't until late 2010 that we saw some price drops.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    Yes sir, I remember seeing bushy's for just over 1k around that time, then by 2011 I saw many sell for 700 at one of the fairer priced gun shops in the area. So lets just pray the house stays a do nothing body of the government, and in 2014 the pro gunners retain enough seats to keep it at bay

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm pretty sure the Internet has made it impossible for new gun owners to get anything. Just for poops and giggles I watched a gun broker auction
    For a colt 6920 with the le/mi stamp, the same one a friend of mine bought for 1100 a year ago go for 2400 bucks. That is insanity, the new colt 308/556 was selling for that a month ago, a scar was that price. I fear that this scare over the new ban will make it hard for lower income ppl To get into the hobby and that is sad. I'm really hating what's going on.

A rated rebublicans talking about doing something about the assault weapon problem now, this crap is depressing. And don't get me started on ammo, you can't find it. One Damn bastard idiot crazy nut job ******* and the gun community goes crazy buying up everything in sight driving prices to insane levels. Arg this sucks!!!!
    Well the guns and magazines that people fear may be included in the ban have had the prices go crazy. However, there are many, many options for new gun owners - as well as collectors like me to purchase firearms at near normal cost. 22LR haven't gone up appreciably, many bolt action guns are close if not at the pre-shooting level. I watch the prices pretty close, just attended a gun show last weekend - going to Lebanon GS this weekend. I don't think most revolvers have moved in price at all. Shotguns haven't raised - except the Tactical style that people fear will be banned. Most semi-auto handguns haven't really increased in price - except for the ones with over 10 round mags, even those haven't raised much. Military firearms like the Mosin Nagant, Mausers and Lever guns haven't skyrocketed in price like the AR's and AK's. In truth, I wouldn't have recommended an AR or AK to a first time gun owner anyway. I know they were/are the "in" thing, but there are a lot better choices for most uses, including home and self defense any targeting. I sure don't want to see any ban or restriction on any of my 2nd amendment rights - really think a lot of the fear is exaggerated. I hope the NRA does well in defending our rights.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We are a witness to economics 101 that we all had to learn in school. Supply vs Demand

I'm not understanding the supply side right now. You have Colt, DPMS, Rem, Stag, Bushmaster, Windham, Olympic, Rock River, DTI, LWRC, LMT, Daniels etc. etc. not to mention the numerous lower makers out there yet no supply seems to be getting through, whats going on with that? There should be more than enough manufacturers to put a dent in this demand.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I'm not understanding the supply side right now. You have Colt, DPMS, Rem, Stag, Bushmaster, Windham, Olympic, Rock River, DTI, LWRC, LMT, Daniels etc. etc. not to mention the numerous lower makers out there yet no supply seems to be getting through, whats going on with that? There should be more than enough manufacturers to put a dent in this demand.

I agree but the thing is a lot if big retailers pulled them from the shelf, I would argue it was not out of respect for the tragedy but probable because they could make a lot more on the secondary market expecting prices to hike up. Then you have wealthy types buying up everything they can get their hands on to resell at grossly exaggerated prices. Like the guys before me said supply vs demand, gun sales always spike when ppl think they are going away

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    Look at it this wayIf I had the cash and could have bought 20 name brand ar lowers for 150 and turn around and sell them for 450 on gun broker I just made 6000 in less than a week.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    the price will never come back down to what it was

History bares this out, in 2004 I bought a new SAR1 AK for $340.00 and an Armalite M4 for $360.00, even at the low point of late 2011 wasr's where that much and AR's where $600.00 +. Prices may drop, but will never be that low again.

If someones wants to get into shooting and collecting there are still great bargins in Mosin's, Mauser's, and Enfield's. The problem is everyone wants the latest "cool" toy to play with.

Well sorry but that boat has sailed, ( along with the one with all the $4500.00 1965 Shelby GT 350's)

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    History bares this out, in 2004 I bought a new SAR1 AK for $340.00 and an Armalite M4 for $360.00, even at the low point of late 2011 wasr's where that much and AR's where $600.00 +. Prices may drop, but will never be that low again.

If someones wants to get into shooting and collecting there are still great bargins in Mosin's, Mauser's, and Enfield's. The problem is everyone wants the latest "cool" toy to play with.

Well sorry but that boat has sailed, ( along with the one with all the $4500.00 1965 Shelby GT 350's)

Pretty much, still sucks though, if you wanna sell that armalite ill give you 400 for it:P see you just turned a profit lol sorry couldn't resist.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010

"A three hour tour! A three hour tour!"

beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    It's just simple supply and demand. Give it a couple months and the panic will be over and prices will come down. If people refuse to pay the inflated prices, they will have to come back down to reasonable prices.

Top Bottom