• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I had a usp45c and it is a great gun. However you are paying a lot more for the name. I also have a Xd 45 tactical and now a sig sp2022. I kept those two and sold the hk. Once again it is a great gun but I honestly like my Xd more. I also picked up the sp2022 because I wanted a 40 and it compares to the hk imo. It doesn't have the ambi controls (I am a lefty as well) but I've gotten used to the right handed safeties and everything on the sig so I don't really need them. I am a big fan of sig sauer they make great guns and have a name that stands behind them as HK does however you can get their polymer pistols less expensive than HK's. it also depends on what you want. If you want something rugged and for shtf purposes that will fire with no complications than a striker fire might be the way to go. If you want everyday conceal carry you might feel more comfortable with the DAO/SAO trigger. Which in that case sig or hk would both be very good choices.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    First thing that comes to my mind when I think of H&K is overpriced.

They aren't trying to cater to people on a budget that's for sure. But I promise you are getting what you pay for and also your resell and even sometimes collector value is good.
    I don't baby any of my guns so I'm not into them for the collector aspect.
    There's a reason they are used by special operations forces world wide.

Edit: I just want to clarify that I'm no rich guy. It's a lot of cash for me to fork over to buy an HK. Didn't mean to sound like a wealthy snob cause I'm not.

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I hear that. I'm far from wealthy myself.
    The H&Ks I do own, one was bought used, one I traded for and needed no $ for boot, and the other came from some gift money I received from an aging relative........

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I have a USP .40 Compact in ODG, one of 500 made from what I understand. It feels good in my hand, it's reliable, works pretty good as a carry gun in .40 S & W, especially since you can carry it cocked and locked safely and to top it off I think it just has a great masculine look to it.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here is what I can tell you. I personally like HK pistol products, not going into the politics of the company or talking about the warranty which I personally have had good success with. Here is the thing, IT WORKS VERY WELL FOR ME AND I LIKE THEM. I have plenty of other firearms and am partial to the M&P line as well but HK's WORK VERY WELL FOR ME AND MY ERGOS which is what matters most. I like the DA/SA, I like how accurate they are, I LOVE the ergonomics, I love the magazine release style, I like how I can tailor the side straps and back straps to me, I like the trigger feel, I even like the way they look even though that shouldn't matter too much. I HAVE NO ISSUES PAYING MORE FOR SOMETHING THAT WORKS BETTER FOR ME THAT JUST MAY SAVE MY BUTT ONE DAY.....don't forget that in the gun world you typically get what you pay for and it's always cheaper than a casket!

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    No handgun is perfect, no one handgun is for everybody. Heck, I like about any quality firearm I lay my hands on.

Lots of different shooters, lots of different choices....... As it should be!

I sometimes fail to grasp the hatred spewed toward certain brands and models; be it H&K, Sig, 1911s in general, Kimber, GLOCK, or even Taurus.

Right now, I am really enjoying H&K products. Even bought a cap with logo! :):

It's all good. I've settled on an H&K with LEM to be my main carry at this time, but believe me, if it would vanish, I would have no problem with strapping on a K frame Smith along with a couple of speedloaders. Or a 1911 with an extra mag. Or my Beretta Nano. Or my SP101.

To each their own.

Last edited:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I don't own one, and I never will. One of the worst feeling guns I have ever fired. My buddy brought his USP 40 to the range and I fired off 50 rounds or so. The quality seemed there, but I think they are ridiculously overpriced. It had in, my opinion, an awkward, long travel on the trigger. I just never got comfortable with it.

That said, my buddy loves his. He is a pilot and carries for work. Policy states that his work pistol stays locked if he's not working, so he bought an identical one for personal use.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You can do as I did and get the P30 S with the safety...carrying a DA/SA in cocked and locked affords you the ability to be able to safely carry AND have your first shot fired in SA.

The LEM I tried at Blythes was awful. JMHO though...
    I don't do (manual) safeties on my EDC. Nothing will replace the Glock for an EDC either. It's what I know, it's what I train with. I'm not about to undo 15 years of muscle memory just to switch to a firearms with more crap to worry about. One of the reasons I like Glock for EDC is the point-n-shoot aspect of it. I even quit carrying the 1911 because I didn't feel comfortable with my own mental ability to remember which one I was totin' around that day. I just know my own limitations.

With that in mind, the issue of craptastic trigger still exists. :):

Yes, even the guy behind the counter seemed a bit unimpressed with the LEM. It was definitely lighter than any of the first pulls on my DA/SA guns, but the SA on all of my guns feel way better.

I know that some guys ship theirs off to Gray Guns and Bowie Tactical and Bill Springfield and whoever else to get the LEM tweaked, I guess that I'd have to try and like one of those to be sold on it.
    Of course the SA is smoother. Everything I've read says the LEM wasn't intended to be baby's ass smooth. It was intended to bridge the gap between the ridiculously grotesque DA and the totally awesome SA while also giving more shot-to-shot consistency a la the striker-fired pistols. There is no way a DA shot can be as smooth as a SA shot, so it doesn't make any sense to expect the LEM to be as good as the SA.

It's gimmick-y. It's trying to lure those of us who like the striker-fired sameness in our trigger pulls. Those of you who are fine with the DA/SA probably would find the LEM to be less desirable. It makes sense.

And since I've yet to shoot the LEM variant, I might very well find I don't like it either. The bar has been set kind of high. ;) I just know that for a gun whose only purpose would be punching holes in paper, I'm not spending that kind of money on a trigger I can't stand.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I had a USP 40 cal full-size, my one and only complaint was the height of the bore above your hand. I was used to my S&W 4006 and Glock G22 at the time and never really cared for its recoil characteristics that it caused compared to the other 40's. I did use it for about 18 months shooting IPSC and put a good 7-8k through it with never an issue. It ate every thing well, be it hard cast or jacketed.

It was the First handgun designed around the more powerful 40 S&W round from the ground up at a time when the other manufactures were just making modifications to 9mm frames and slides.

Last edited:

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    I bought a USP 45 the first year they came out. Love it and it won't be for sale in my life time. Never a jam. Mixed ammo in the mag, no problem. Well made quality product though they have gotten a bit pricey....

Lowrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Valpo
    HK P30 9mm is most naturally fitting grip I've ever tried. About 1000+ rounds flawlessly put through without any jams. Mag release on trigger guard great for smaller hands.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have owned three USP .45s and one HK45.

As a lefty, I found the long ambidextrous slide locks on the HK45 to be annoying since my thumbs tended to ride on the one on the right side of the frame and keep the slide from locking back. This also happens on the P30,the P2000, and on the Walther PPQ. As well, the trigger on my HK45 had a false trigger reset before the actual reset (two clicks). Supposedly this goes away with time. Other than that, the gun was INCREDIBLY accurate.

As for the USPs, my first was a Variant 2 made for lefty's. I actually prefer all of the controls to be on the left side of the gun away from my thumbs, so the two I own now are both Variant 1. Now, the right side of the gun is free from any controls getting in the way. Very accurate. Very soft shooting. Very big and blocky, but looks very intimidating when pointed at the goblins! Love them!

After all, GLOCKs are for people who can't afford HKs!!

TBaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    I had a USP 40 and loved that gun. Felt great, shot great, very high quality. Ended up selling it. (Let's not talk about that). Went to purchase a new gun a couple of years ago and looked at the HKs. Got a P2000 40. Awesome gun. No safety, just a decocker. Feels great in the hand and once again shoots great. Wouldn't look back.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wait for the hk 1911 ;)
    Just sayin'

Why? It would cost 6 grand and wouldn't do anything my Springfield Loaded doesn't. Kinda like all the guns they already make. And it would probably have the stupid paddle mag release which would mean a proprietary magazine.

Just because vee are H und K and vee hate you.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I am a hard core long long time Sig owner and I carried one for a living, With that I own 2 USP's
    And even thou I take them out of the safe once every few years, They will always be safe queens to me.
    Too big,, to Boxy and feel cheap in my hand.

Top Bottom