• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That would be why a disclaimer would have to be given, friend. "This ain't all you need to know, but it is enough to get you started!" ;)

If that disclaimer included clearly making the new reloader aware of all the benefits of making that acquaintance with said individual, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

I am dead serious about the offer. IF YOU EVER want to take his class, you send me a pm with your name, and Andrew will have the money PRONTO. Semper Fi!

You can drop that idea... I will be taking his class... I am just waiting for the chance to bend his ear and attempt to talk him into bringing his offerings up north a bit first... :D Maybe it's wishful thinking, but gotta try... When that time were to come, I will be paying my own way... Actually as I think of it... Unless you already have your FFL, or you already have your sources for components that can't be beat on price, it might be money better spent if you considered taking the course. I can't visualize any scenario where having too many connections for great group buys and such would be a bad thing... ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Unless you already have your FFL, or you already have your sources for components that can't be beat on price, it might be money better spent if you considered taking the course. I can't visualize any scenario where having too many connections for great group buys and such would be a bad thing... ;)

He has a standing order each month for tools and components and it's open for anybody, not just those who've taken his class. I mean, you DO realize the main reason gun shops/dealers HAVE reloading classes is to get customers in to buy their stuff...right? They are providing the class largely as a marketing technique. Based on your comments above, it's HIGHLY effective! :laugh:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He has a standing order each month for tools and components and it's open for anybody, not just those who've taken his class. I mean, you DO realize the main reason gun shops/dealers HAVE reloading classes is to get customers in to buy their stuff...right? They are providing the class largely as a marketing technique. Based on your comments above, it's HIGHLY effective! :laugh:

Let's not get off track now. We aren't talking about shops/dealers here. We are talking about (1) particular shop/dealer...

No use to argue whether the shop we are referring to is using it as a marketing technique or not, it's not what is important. What would be important is the price I can get components at from this shop, not to even mention service.

Lost in all this nitpicking is what we are missing and what is really important here. I suspect there is a high probability that questions like the one that started this thread was asked for a reason. I highly suspect there is a reason why someone would ask advice on a forum of total strangers. I highly suspect many ( wouldn't want to venture a guess of what percentage) simply don't know of anyone who is a experienced reloader.

So, who cares whether offering a class is a marketing tool or not... I would VERY much prefer to hear someone went there and bought supplies at his prices rather than make the mistake and order a small order and pay haz mat... Or made the mistake and went somewhere much higher priced because they didn't know better. Don't think it doesn't happen... Someone out there is keeping GM open....

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So, who cares whether offering a class is a marketing tool or not... I would VERY much prefer to hear someone went there and bought supplies at his prices rather than make the mistake and order a small order and pay haz mat... Or made the mistake and went somewhere much higher priced because they didn't know better. Don't think it doesn't happen... Someone out there is keeping GM open....

Excellent point. I'm sure the proprietor's intentions are honorable. In his posts he seems to be very genuine in his concern for helping new reloaders get started out on the right foot. I would not hesitate to order from him, or to send someone his way if they preferred to take a class instead of learning from a numbskull like me. :)

But, let's also not lose sight of the fact that he is running a for-profit business, not providing a community service. For all that he's a good guy, I'm not going to suggest that taking a reloading class from him is a sound investment based on the premise that you'll be able to place orders for components with him, at a fair price. Now, if he ONLY offered to sell components to former students, at cost let's say, THAT would be a good deal. I don't think that is his intention.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not going to suggest that taking a reloading class from him is a sound investment based on the premise that you'll be able to place orders for components with him, at a fair price. Now, if he ONLY offered to sell components to former students, at cost let's say, THAT would be a good deal. I don't think that is his intention.

I might agree if the price of the class wasn't so reasonable, but when it can be recovered with the initial component purchase one might make, I can only recommend it. It's the " overall package " he offers that has me sold. Also,
    " confidence " plays a big role. I can advise someone to take him up on his offer with utmost confidence they will be given sound advice and fair deals from someone who has actually loaded. Sadly, I can't say the same about some shops I have been in thru the years. I'm sure you have heard some BS and bad advice thru the years also coming from some shops, maybe even from people working in them that have never pulled a lever.

Looking back thru this thread, do you realize that the OP posted threads # 1, 26, and 42 ? In threads 1 & 26, he did not give enough info so we could give him a well thought out recommendation to his initial question ? Also, in thread # 42, he only stated that a class might be in the future ! Wouldn't you agree with all this bickering and 85 posts later, it's pretty pathetic that no one has asked him some basic questions so we could better answer his initial question ?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    If that disclaimer included clearly making the new reloader aware of all the benefits of making that acquaintance with said individual, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

You can drop that idea... I will be taking his class...

Unless you already have your FFL, or you already have your sources for components that can't be beat on price, it might be money better spent if you considered taking the course

Well, NOW, you have made it ALL about taking JUST Andrew's class. No one else's, just his. .............Really?

Or, maybe I need a piece of paper from the goobermint, something similar to what GM got :rolleyes:, before I am a qualified reloader?.................Really?

And, I am going to be buying some stuff from Andrew, no two ways about that. I like to support local business, local to Indiana, and I want some MILSURP powder, he has it. As far as the class, um, don't hold your breath on that one. Not that I know EVERYTHING (newsflash, he doesn't either and will most likely will tell you that! ;)), I am just self taught and I like it that way. :D

As for YOU taking the class, you better hurry. To hear you talk, every minute you spend reloading is too dangerous without it! ;)

Unless called upon by someone to answer a question in this thread from here on out, I am gone. This gets tiring! :ugh::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, NOW, you have made it ALL about taking JUST Andrew's class. No one else's, just his. .............Really?

Yes, really ! It will remain that way until I learn of another option of a class that offers as many of the overall benefits and also that has my confidence.

Unless called upon by someone to answer a question in this thread from here on out, I am gone. This gets tiring! :ugh::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Now that I would agree is a great idea. Unless the original OP hasn't already been ran off by all this bickering and has more comments/questions, I'll follow your lead.

deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    im a new reloader. my advice is to keep it simple. and take it slow. ebay has tons of oldeer reloading equipment for sale cheap. consider it, and make an informed decision. i would seriously recommend a single stage press to start so you can learn "hands on" and "knee deep" what the correct procedure is. if only doing pistol rounds maybe a turret press.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I might agree if the price of the class wasn't so reasonable, but when it can be recovered with the initial component purchase one might make, I can only recommend it. It's the " overall package " he offers that has me sold. Also,
    " confidence " plays a big role. I can advise someone to take him up on his offer with utmost confidence they will be given sound advice and fair deals from someone who has actually loaded. Sadly, I can't say the same about some shops I have been in thru the years. I'm sure you have heard some BS and bad advice thru the years also coming from some shops, maybe even from people working in them that have never pulled a lever.

Looking back thru this thread, do you realize that the OP posted threads # 1, 26, and 42 ? In threads 1 & 26, he did not give enough info so we could give him a well thought out recommendation to his initial question ? Also, in thread # 42, he only stated that a class might be in the future ! Wouldn't you agree with all this bickering and 85 posts later, it's pretty pathetic that no one has asked him some basic questions so we could better answer his initial question ?

From what I gather, you've been reloading for a long time, although it's been some years since you loaded for rifles. You have stated you load for 9 different pistol cartridges right now. If you've loaded for rifle cartridges in the past, and you can obviously read, I have two questions for ya.

1) What do you really hope to learn from a basic reloading class?

2) Why aren't you offering the OP advice on his questions instead of arguing that he should take a class?

Some guys DO, and some guys want to be shown; is that the case here? As a former Marine, I thank you for your service to God and country. Just ask yourself...oh, never mind. It's not worth it. If you're convinced a reloading class is what you need, and you'll somehow make your money back buying components through the same guy, by all means.

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Heres the deal.....
    I bought and am using the LEE Classic Reloader for $25 NEW!!!

I'm reloading small quantities of .223 for my AR at a time.

I'm enjoying it IMMENSLY!!!

I'm hand polishing the brass too.

Haven't had one misfire.

Invest in a LEE Cllasic Reloader for your caliber of gun today!!!! You won't be disappointed!!!

coyote1966

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Veedersburg
    Start out with the RCBS rockchucker starter kit, I have had mine for 14 years, still goong strong. Of everyone I know that has got into the reloading is still reloading, buy something that will last, you will enjoy it.

Top Bottom