• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Well, if I sold ammo, I guess I would take the same approach! ;)

So, every shooter should be a reloader, and every reloader should be a caster. Start NOW, don't wait, um, period.

i dont sell ammo, i dont think andrews approach has anyting to do with the fact he does. i dont think every shooter sould reload. take the guy who shoots once a year for instance. he does not need the expence of reloading equipment, and he doesn't have the knowlege to reload ammo. i guess it could roll back to the agrument that he should shoot more, but to some folks its just not a priority:dunno:. folks like that are not going to take the time to learn to do it right to reload 200 rounds a year.

im a reloader and i have no desire to learn to cast bullets. the bullets on bulk ammo are not really expensive and with my precision ammo i dont think i could cast a bullet better than the currently avaible options.

im not saying the folks that shoot are not capable of learning to reload, im saying if they arn't devout enough to take the time to learn to do it right they are better off buying ammo

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    im not saying the folks that shoot are not capable of learning to reload, im saying if they arn't devout enough to take the time to learn to do it right they are better off buying ammo

What I am saying is that folks that are like you describe will never start reloading and will weed themselves out. We don't need to exclude them in our thought process. If they spend $200 on a setup, really, that is not going to break anyone that can afford a firearm to go into bankruptcy.

Over the course of the year, more than that is spent on fast food.

I can't believe that someone that shoots 200 rounds a year would even consider reloading. If they do, they should do it and start NOW.

As for casting, it is just another facet of our hobby. Here is the fact you don't know, you very well may be capable of casting a better bullet than what you can buy. I can, AND I can have them even in a downturn of the economy, I can have the ones that fit my firearms, that I have worked up loads for, that give the best results each and every time, WHEN I want them, in the QUANTITY I want them, for the PRICE I want to pay for them. Even if another democrat comes into the presidency and everyone that purchases bullets does so, as was seen just 3 1/2 years ago, I STILL have those bullets AND the ability to make more, anytime I want.

I tease around about this so, don't take it seriously: As long as my neighbors have cars with tires on them and they are balanced, I can make bullets!

My point to those that are in the "valley of decision" about reloading quite simply is this: Don't let the nay sayers keep you from giving it a try. If there is someone that you can watch, fine, hook up with them, in fact, I am going over to a friend's house tomorrow to get him started with a new Dillon XL650, otherwise, just get started. You can learn to do it. If you need to have more attention to detail, that will show up in just a few rounds too.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    My comments had nothing to do with the my manufacturing ammo. It has everything to do with me teaching classes and providing advice to reloaders all day.

It's a fact that many people just shouldn't be in front of a press.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What I am saying is that folks that are like you describe will never start reloading and will weed themselves out. We don't need to exclude them in our thought process. If they spend $200 on a setup, really, that is not going to break anyone that can afford a firearm to go into bankruptcy.

Over the course of the year, more than that is spent on fast food.

I can't believe that someone that shoots 200 rounds a year would even consider reloading. If they do, they should do it and start NOW.

As for casting, it is just another facet of our hobby. Here is the fact you don't know, you very well may be capable of casting a better bullet than what you can buy. I can, AND I can have them even in a downturn of the economy, I can have the ones that fit my firearms, that I have worked up loads for, that give the best results each and every time, WHEN I want them, in the QUANTITY I want them, for the PRICE I want to pay for them. Even if another democrat comes into the presidency and everyone that purchases bullets does so, as was seen just 3 1/2 years ago, I STILL have those bullets AND the ability to make more, anytime I want.

I tease around about this so, don't take it seriously: As long as my neighbors have cars with tires on them and they are balanced, I can make bullets!

My point to those that are in the "valley of decision" about reloading quite simply is this: Don't let the nay sayers keep you from giving it a try. If there is someone that you can watch, fine, hook up with them, in fact, I am going over to a friend's house tomorrow to get him started with a new Dillon XL650, otherwise, just get started. You can learn to do it. If you need to have more attention to detail, that will show up in just a few rounds too.

i miss read your first comment. i thought you were saying everyone who shoots should reload. as you stated folks that shoot 200 rds of ammo a year would not consider it.

as far as casting, my most used bullet is the 6.5 140gr amax. mabye i could cast a bullet better mabye not, but i can have them nomatter what the economy does or avaibility. i have about 8-10 thousand in my room now. when i find a sale ill buy more. if they become scarce i have plenty to get me by. i have enought bullets, brass, primers, powder to burn up 2 barrels now.

i do agree with you that if you are even remotely on the fence about reloading do it now. i did not take any class to learn, but i think a class could have eliminated some reading and trial and error. classes are pretty cheap and should save you some research time. basically the class is not required but it might be money well spent for the time saved and knowing your doing everything right the first time. for me i didn't even know anyone who reloaded when i started

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    My comments had nothing to do with the my manufacturing ammo. It has everything to do with me teaching classes and providing advice to reloaders all day.

It's a fact that many people just shouldn't be in front of a press.

As I read you and Skip's conversation I think you both have good points

As far as Skip, I know as a new reloader who just started, if you have the will to learn you can/will learn it. Furthermore, the only physical experience I had was going to a friends house and him running about 50 rounds through his xl650. That's not enough time to really "learn" everything. To be honest, the only thing I was able to take away was how the press worked as far as the index system.

As for your points your correct too. I feel I'm somewhat educated, I graduate college in the spring and it was still a daunting task. Have someone there to tell me exactly what I know instead of spend hourless nights on many different forums and YouTube to figure out how to reload on my 650. It just depends on the type of person honestly. Some people pick it up and others need instruction.

What it comes down to, is the individual has to make the choice. I feel lucky that with no previous experience to speak of I was able to get my 650 running by myself and not lose a hand in the process.

Furthermore, if time allows I will still take a class most likely from you because even though I'm learning, it's a guarantee you know more about it.

Its up to the OP to decide his comfort level. I can tell you it's not an easy process initially to get together if you are truly green to it. So take it with caution, be safe, and have fun! Because at the end of the day that's what it is all about! :ingo:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Well, then.............

I work on cars for a living so the mechanical side of reloadind should be ok.wanting to load various pistol calibers plus .223

You should be able to handle that part then! The other part is just learning the process. Some folks learn about their equipment but if you want to be a good reloader, you need to know/learn more than that.

This pertains mostly to handgun ammo but here is a quick synopsis of what happens to produce a reload.
    Learn what happens in a chamber when the primer is acted upon. In a "good" load that is! ;) And then what it takes to get that spent case, back into shape to fire again.

Smokeless powder does not explode, it burns. Some faster than others. Knowing that will also help you to understand WHY you do somethings later on. Remember this too, it needs "help" to develop the correct and cosistent pressure required to "push" a bullet down the barrel and to do it safely, accurately. While it does "burn" and not explode, it does create pressure to achieve it's task. Similar, again, similar to the "power" stroke of a 4 stroke engine. I chose my words carefully, similar. The difference here is that there is a case involved and not just a cylinder bore. A liner for the cylinder, so to speak, that has to swell to work properly, sealing off the gasses so they work on the bullet rather than escaping into the breech area of the firearm.

Because it swells to fill out the chamber, it needs to be resized so it will consistently go back into a properly sized chamber. This is the first step in reloading the case ON THE PRESS. There is an inspection of the cases that has to happen first, I am assuming that folks are going to look at what they have in their hand and notice if there is a crack or whatever. ;) It does need to be done though and not passed over.

Getting the case back to the correct size is usually coupled with another funtion that needs to happen, you have to get rid of the spent primer. If you are using any one of the major players for dies available now, of current manufacture, those two steps are combined in the proper die set per caliber.

After you have the empty, unprimed case, you need to get a new primer back into that case so it can ignite the powder so it can burn under the bullet of your choice. There are several options to get that done. On the press or off of the press. Your choice, check out both options. Lee, RCBS and others have hand priming devices. With the Lee kit that I mentioned above, there is an on the press device that will allow you to reprime right there. Go to youtube and do a search on the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press or to leeprecision.com as there are videos there that will help with their equipment. Primers have to be seated correctly and safely. It can be done, and, you can do it.

After that the case will need to be filled with powder and/or flared to accept a bullet. Here is the reason I choose Lee dies, this can happen at the same time. If you use other brand's die sets, you have to flare in one step and recharge the case in another.

Then, there is the seating of the bullet on the refilled case. This is done in the next die. This die, again, using the Lee dies of modern production as an example, combine two functions in the seating die as well. That of seating and crimping. Crimping can be as small as removing the bell YOU put on the case to get it to accept a bullet or as deep as a factory roll crimp for say, a 44Mag.

That is about as hard as it is. Are there other things that CAN be done? Sure. Are there other things that SHOULD be done, depends on the type of ammo that you are trying to build, range fodder or accuracy rounds. Big difference between the two.

It isn't that hard to get a reloaded case that will work in your firearms and be safe too.

Attention to detail is a must though and distractions have to be eliminated. Like rebuilding a transmission. You just have to pay attention.

Now, I am sure that the professionals will have a lot to pick at in my synopsis. Go ahead.

As for learning the details of each step that I mentioned above, the BEST thing you can do is find the way that you learn best, hands on, by yourself, video or whatever and exhaust it in your quest to be a reloader.

Then, if you have problems that you cannot solve on your own, ask someone that has been there and done that. ;) Lots of us are willing to help.

I left out books by mistake. Get a new Lyman or Lee reloading manual. ALL of these steps and those that are more specific to loading rifle ammo, are all in the front of them. I have about 20 or so laying around here. Everyone of them has the "how too's" in the front of them. Couple that with the videos that are available to us on the web and have fun. Do so being safe though.

Hope this helps.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    What kind of reloading equipment did you buy, I have lots of long guns,223-308-8mm-7mm-30-06-30-30.:ar15:

I already had purchased a Dillon 550b before I took the class, purchased the ABC's of reloading and read through it numerous times. I still felt unsure about the final steps of actually doing it myself. I spent a Saturday at Andrew's house and enjoyed his knowledge and hospitality.
    After taking his class I purchased one of the Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kits and a few more books and tool. Just dont tell my wife I purchased more tools for reloading!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I COULD NOT disagree more. Ever. Totally. Completely. Whole heartedly. Absolutely. Under any circumstance. With bells and whistles. No.... no... NO !!!! Stop saying things like this.

Most shooters don't have the fortitude or attention to detail to reload ammunition, the solice or the concentration. Most shooters should NOT reload. They're not technically devout enough to have the skills to manufacture explosives. That's like saying that most drivers should repair their own cars.

Really, man. Think about it for a second. I'm all for responsible shooters learning to reload, but that comment is just not well thought out.

I agree completely. Reloading is another hobby in itself that not every shooter has the time to learn or attention span to accomplish. Shooting has hazards in itself, but most people have enough intelligence to stay out from in front of the dangerous end of the gun. With reloading the dangerous end is not so well defined and there are so many little things to pay attention to.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Start with a single stage Rock Chucker, a good scale, an decent set of calipers, and move on from there. If you want more advice, send me a PM. I'm happy to help all beginning reloaders.

There isn't much I would disagree with Andrew about concerning reloading, except maybe for this. Nothing against a Rock Chucker, but a single stage press can get boring, tedious, and become real pain, after one day of use. Going through the process of de-priming all of your rounds, then switching out the die to expand them all; then loading them all with powder, while ensuring you did not miss any or double load; then switching out the die to seat the bullets and then switching out the die yet again to crimp the bullet (if you decide to crimp). How long would it take to prepare 100 rounds on a single-stage?

I know speed isn't the goal when learning to reload, but many can attest, it's not that hard once you get your preferred powder and loads. Honestly, that takes only a few days if you have access to a range to test your loads. After that you are stuck with a piece of equipment that is just downright slow.

I would suggest going with the Lee turret press. You can set all your dies and leave them there. You can load one complete round at a time, which discourages any mistakes and provides a level of comfort any newbie may need. It also provides speed! Once you get the hang of it, you can comfortably load 20 rounds in five minutes. That means, you can load 100 rounds in less than 30 minutes, right before you head to the range. This option provides you with a proven system, safety, and you can go as slow or as fast as you desire.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    There isn't much I would disagree with Andrew about concerning reloading, except maybe for this. Nothing against a Rock Chucker, but a single stage press can get boring, tedious, and become real pain, after one day of use. Going through the process of de-priming all of your rounds, then switching out the die to expand them all; then loading them all with powder, while ensuring you did not miss any or double load; then switching out the die to seat the bullets and then switching out the die yet again to crimp the bullet (if you decide to crimp). How long would it take to prepare 100 rounds on a single-stage?

I know speed isn't the goal when learning to reload, but many can attest, it's not that hard once you get your preferred powder and loads. Honestly, that takes only a few days if you have access to a range to test your loads. After that you are stuck with a piece of equipment that is just downright slow.

I would suggest going with the Lee turret press. You can set all your dies and leave them there. You can load one complete round at a time, which discourages any mistakes and provides a level of comfort any newbie may need. It also provides speed! Once you get the hang of it, you can comfortably load 20 rounds in five minutes. That means, you can load 100 rounds in less than 30 minutes, right before you head to the range. This option provides you with a proven system, safety, and you can go as slow or as fast as you desire.

I cant comment on a Lee because I have never owned one. I can tell you that a single stage makes understanding each step in the reloading process easier. I only use my single stage for precision, the Dillon gets the majority of the workload.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit, Presses & Dies, Reloading, Shooting : Cabela's
    This one? I assume this will load both pistol and rifle calibers? I'm in the same boat, want to get into reloading this year. A little strapped on cash right now after the holidays and all but hoping to start buying the components this summer. I'm in the process of building a bench out in the garage right now. Though I don't shoot a lot, I want to shoot more and know that after the initial investment of the equipment it pays for itself. I will be hoping to reload .40s&W, .357mag/.38, .223/5.56, .45acp, and .270win

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit, Presses & Dies, Reloading, Shooting : Cabela's
    This one? I assume this will load both pistol and rifle calibers? I'm in the same boat, want to get into reloading this year. A little strapped on cash right now after the holidays and all but hoping to start buying the components this summer. I'm in the process of building a bench out in the garage right now. Though I don't shoot a lot, I want to shoot more and know that after the initial investment of the equipment it pays for itself. I will be hoping to reload .40s&W, .357mag/.38, .223/5.56, .45acp, and .270win

How much reloading do you plan on doing. Seriously. I would buy a Dillon. You can always slow the process down on a Dillon (insert other maker also) but it is hard to go faster than what a reloading press was designed for. I can put out 400 rounds an hour of .40 cal without even trying.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

That is the BEST press that you can buy to start with, seriously. If you are going to load less than 200 rounds a week, it will last absolutely forever.

Personally, if I was just getting started, I would buy it from here (kit): https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

And add two other things here (manual): https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

The last thing, here (scale): https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

I am in no way affiliated with Kempf either. Their customer service is a bit lacking, and their reloading help may be nonexistant (dunno, never asked them for help) but, they will have all of the supplies you need to get started and usually in stock.

Everyone that seems to be an "expert" seems to say start with a single stage press. Well, this press can be used as one super simply and has the added design feature of being able to go to a "semi auto" mode.

I have 6 Dillon presses, 3 Square Deal Bs, an RL450B and two XL650s. On the other end of one of my benches is a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

It's really kinda disappointing how "messy" this thread has gotten. When it comes down to it, reloading is a pretty simple process with a few very important safety guidelines to follow. Saying "most" shooters should not reload is pretty ridiculous. Are you also saying most hunters shouldn't use a muzzle-loader? It's the same dang thing, really. If you can trust them to be safe standing next to you at the range, I think we can give our fellow shooters the benefit of the doubt to learn something as rudimentary as reloading. :)

Adam,

You stated that you are a little cash-strapped and don't shoot a lot, right now. Depending on your definition of a "lot", the Lee turret press will be PLENTY to get you going. In fact, I've done most of my reloading with a single-stage press for about 25 years now. Is it slow? Well, I have always taken my time to ensure the ammo coming out was of the highest quality, so I guess you could say I don't really care how fast or slow it is. I've got a progressive and if I was shooting 200-500 rounds per week, it would get a lot more use. My kids and my wife are shooting more often these days, so maybe it will.

The other thing I will offer up here is that reloading is one of those hobbies where it's not about "finishing" something, but enjoying the process. I like spending time at the reloading bench. I'm in no hurry to get it all done because then I won't have any reloading left to do! This is hard to explain in a "results-driven" society, but there is an old adage that Larry Potterfield mentions in one of his MidwayUSA commercials. He basically says that there is an inherent satisfaction found in doing something yourself, and doing it well. Some people reload to crank out "X" rounds per hour. I reload for hours of relaxation and enjoyment.

Do you shoot your guns as fast as possible so you're out of ammo in the shortest amount of time? I mean, you're there to shoot guns, so why not shoot 'em really fast and get it over with...right? Or, do you take your time and enjoy the process? Maybe you even slow down to do a better job of shooting, even though it takes longer? More time shooting...and more time reloading so you can shoot again. That's MY plan. ;)

Again, if you shoot mostly center-fire rifle, get a RockChucker kit. If you shoot mostly pistol, and want to load faster, get a progressive. I would never, repeat NEVER...recommend someone start with a Dillon or LNL progressive. If you shoot enough to justify one of those units, after reloading with a single-stage or Lee classic turret or a year or two, then make the leap to mass-producing ammo. If I had one of those units, I would only need to reload 3 or 4 times per year...where's the fun in that?! :D

Top Bottom