• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    If you are looking to do pistol ammo only i would look at a dillon square deal. If you are looking to do rifle ammo also the square deal will not work.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The RCBS single stage kit is really nice. The scale and powder drop included in it are 10x better than the Lee, I have both and haven't used the lee acc. in years

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Try and find a deal on a rock chucker single stage it is alot easier to start on a single stage.You also need to consider the calibers you want to load, I do all my riffle stuff except .223 on a single stage and pistol on a dillon 550 which is also easy to use once you get started.Some people dont like single stage presses and think they are too time consuming but when you are starting out its worth the time to do it right.Once you get loading and depending on how much you shoot you can buy a progressive down the road and you will still use your single stage and wont lose any money.If you buy a cheap progressive press to start you wont get your money back when you do want to upgrade.Remember reloading isnt all about saving money as much as it is making quality ammo to fit your specific gun or needs.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have two opening for the Jan 24th beginning reloading class. I wouldn't purchase any equipment until you take the class first. It's a comprehensive class that'll show you the equipment you'll need, and more importantly, show you the equipment you don't.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Take the class, save the cash!! You will get hands on experience and be able to decide better what is right for you. Heck, the ammo you make in the class almost offsets the cost.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'd recommend either attending a class or reloading with a friend a few times before making a decision on what you want to buy. When it's time, there are really only 2 presses to consider, for a new reloader. If you will reload for pistol cartridges 75% of the time, or more, go with the Lee Classic Turret kit. If most of your reloading will be bottle-necked rifle cases, buy the RCBS Rockchucker kit. Both will last a lifetime but the design of the Lee press will let you crank out cases a little faster.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Two things dictate what kind of equipment you SHOULD get. One deals with you personally, the other has to do with the type of shooting and ammo requirements for that discipline.

If you have a hard time with "righty tighty, lefty loosey" you may want to go as simple as you can. If you can handle the above statement, there is no limit to what press you can run. Money is the deciding factor at that point.

I am going to speculate: You know how to tighten a bolt. You have a limited amount of money AND you shoot moderately, no more than 150 rounds a week.

If there is a better press for the money and that amount of ammo, it would be the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. Go to kempfgunshop.com and look for their kit. It isn't perfect but it is a good place to start. Most of what you need, and nothing you don't. Their's is pretty good as it comes with dies too. Lots of them don't.

Something to remember though, most of what you buy will retain a good portion of it's value should you decide to resell it. Another thing to think about, you will not be married to your press or other equipment that you purchase. You can get rid of it when you outgrow it and get something else with the money.

It is one of the easiest presses to use as a single stage, and it will do rifle cartridges should you need that in the future.

All of that being said, yes, I have one of these presses, along with 3 Dillon Square Deal Bs, an RL450B that is partially converted to an RL550B and two XL650s.

A progressive isn't for everyone and certainly not for every novice. It can be done, and I have friends that have started successfully with a progressive. Check out the used market online. Other gun sites' have classifieds too. And, believe it or not, ebay has a TON of reloading equipment on it as well. Check them out.

I bought all but one of my XL650's used. I have a little over $400 in all three of the Square Deal Bs that I have. New, they are almost that. So, check that out.

My final thought on the matter is this though: START NOW. DON'T WAIT ANOTHER DAY, BUY SOMETHING NOW AND KEEP UP WITH IT. Then, when you get the hang of reloading, move on to casting.

Every shooter should be a reloader and every reloader should be a bullet caster.

We have no idea how long we will be able to be food for our firearms. Just a thought.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I am going to speculate: You know how to tighten a bolt. You have a limited amount of money AND you shoot moderately, no more than 150 rounds a week.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You don't use wrenches, you have unlimited funds and you shoot 10k rounds a week. There's still no substitute for hands on experience. Find someone that knows what they're doing and get your hands dirty.

I agree with the 'Start Now' ideal, though. People that learn before an election are far better off.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Every shooter should be a reloader and every reloader should be a bullet caster.

I COULD NOT disagree more. Ever. Totally. Completely. Whole heartedly. Absolutely. Under any circumstance. With bells and whistles. No.... no... NO !!!! Stop saying things like this.

Most shooters don't have the fortitude or attention to detail to reload ammunition, the solice or the concentration. Most shooters should NOT reload. They're not technically devout enough to have the skills to manufacture explosives. That's like saying that most drivers should repair their own cars.

Really, man. Think about it for a second. I'm all for responsible shooters learning to reload, but that comment is just not well thought out.

Last edited:

hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Seriously, take the class. Although afterwards it can be expensive. I got so excited and ready to go, I ended up spending over $600 after the class buying reloading equipment.
    What kind of reloading equipment did you buy, I have lots of long guns,223-308-8mm-7mm-30-06-30-30.:ar15:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Start with a single stage Rock Chucker, a good scale, an decent set of calipers, and move on from there. If you want more advice, send me a PM. I'm happy to help all beginning reloaders.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Lee Anniversary Kit, good bang for the buck. Also, what calibers do you plan of reloading? I spent $289 on initial cost for equipment to reload 9mm. Of course, I do not have a lot of room and was on a budget. I am however glad I started with a single stage press. It allowed me to focus on the individual processes. I have been very pleased with my reloads. When I have the room and money, I'll definitely update.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I COULD NOT disagree more. Ever. Totally. Completely. Whole heartedly. Absolutely. Under any circumstance. With bells and whistles. No.... no... NO !!!! Stop saying things like this.

Most shooters don't have the fortitude or attention to detail to reload ammunition, the solice or the concentration. Most shooters should NOT reload. They're not technically devout enough to have the skills to manufacture explosives. That's like saying that most drivers should repair their own cars.

Really, man. Think about it for a second. I'm all for responsible shooters learning to reload, but that comment is just not well thought out.

Well, if I sold ammo, I guess I would take the same approach! ;)

The statement is one that really tries to put a better light on people than you seem to have. ANYTHING can be learned, ANYTHING! And, most folks, I would postulate, 90% even, can be self taught. We live in the age of technology and other shooters/reloaders/casters have tons of helps out there and MOST of them are free. No classes, no charges, no profiting.

I know folks need to make a living, I'm all for that, but when their attitude towards my hobby is that only THEY can teach or are astute enough to handle it, that is just wrong. YOU stop saying it.

I will continue to think the best of my fellow shooters and I will continue to make my statement, it is a free country still. ;)

So, every shooter should be a reloader, and every reloader should be a caster. Start NOW, don't wait, um, period.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Oh, and as a side note, I do repair my own cars too! In fact, I have even fixed cars for a living, long, long, ago. I did my first tune up for money on a 1963 Ford Econoline Van, it was almost as old as I was at the time, I was all of 13! Since then, I have worked on every car I have ever owned, every car my 5 kids have ever owned, my in laws cars, pastor's cars, friends from church cars, even my work vehicle, without charging a dime to do it.

Here is how I figure it, I am nothing special. I have no special understanding, no above normal knowledge, so super above everyone else's ability. I have just learned a few things. If I can learn to do it, so can 99% of most other folks.

Any other view of the matter makes me BETTER than my fellow man/shooter or whatever. THAT is a totally unacceptable way to think of the individual that is sharing a shooting lane next to me, or a pew, or a seat at McDonalds or...............

Top Bottom