• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I currently only own a Glock19 as far as hand guns go. I am looking at possibly adding a 1911 to my arsenal but noticed there are so many too choose from. Without opening too much of a can of worms, wanted to get the open opinions of everyone here as far as which 1911's to view.

mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I generally don't like the set a budge to be honest. If it costs more because it has better parts, I am happy to spring for a more expensive piece.

For example, I spent an extra $200 on my ar15 because it came with Magpul furniture.

Now obviously, I am not going to go outrageous and spend $4000 on this handgun. From my initial looking, they seem to range $500-1200. I am okay with the higher end, as long as it is worth that much more.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Depends on what you want to spend. I decided to get into 1911's but didn't want to spend the money right away on a high end one so i purchased a Citadel made by armscor also they make rock island armory's.

This is on the lower end of price but have read mostly all good reviews.

I purchased the 3 1/2 inch barrel version got it for 479.99 at Cabelas

500 round through it mostly ball but about 100 JHP and functions perfectly.
    I like This gun and will deffinetly keep it and probably by something a little more expensive when i go to a full size, because this gun has turned me on to the 1911's

Heres a pic the gun came with black regular grips and these OD green houge grips. the only complaint i have is that the finish is not so good this will be a gun that i have refinished in the future.

bfqemq.jpg

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I generally don't like the set a budge to be honest. If it costs more because it has better parts, I am happy to spring for a more expensive piece.

For example, I spent an extra $200 on my ar15 because it came with Magpul furniture.

Now obviously, I am not going to go outrageous and spend $4000 on this handgun. From my initial looking, they seem to range $500-1200. I am okay with the higher end, as long as it is worth that much more.

Then the world is your oyster.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Start with the basics and weed out what you don't want, to narrow your search.

What size frame?
    What barrel length?
    Rails or not?
    Stainless? Blued?
    Extended function levers or stock? Ambi?
    Flat or arched mainspring housing?
    Swept beaver-tail grip safety or stock?
    Spur hammer or enhanced?
    Full trigger or short? Or skeletonized? Or straight?
    Fixed sights or adjustable?
    Contrast? Fiber optic? Night sight?

What catches your eye?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If you don't mind springing some cash, I've had good luck with Colts. Springfields, RIA, Kimber, Remington are all good IMHO.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I would recommend the colt OR a sig. So far, the sig is one of the best 1911s Ive ever shot. Ive had a remington and a springfield, but the sig has my vote over those.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Whatever you get, make sure you afford to feed it. With .45ACP going for .50/round it's not going to be cheap to shoot. I just dove in myself, picking up a new "to me" Dan Wesson PM-7 and I can't find ammo anywhere for less than .50/round.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Your first 1911? You want a full size that shoots 45acp. IMO, springfield is the way to go to stay in your price range. They make a very reliable, very nice 1911.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I am a S&W guy, go to S&W website, and look at everything. A Doug K., will set you back about $1400.00, and a Performance Center, about $2000.00. :twocents:

efpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I would look hard at a Springfield TRP for your price range.

Two things to consider..

If you think you might conceal it, just get a government model. If you don't plan on that, get a government model with an accessory rail.

Second is safety. I am personally not a fan of internal safeties on 1911s. (80 series, Schwartz, etc) They are just extra internal parts, and more parts = more things that can go wrong. Some people like them, some people don't care, but it is something you should think about before buying.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    For your first you need to go with a full size (5") and stay away from anything with an external extractor (Sig, etc). I think Springfield makes 1911s that are priced right. Kimber's are a little more flashy, and I think you pay more than the gun is worth, plus their customer service has gone to crap lately. The R1s are also a very attractive option, but I've yet to spend any trigger time on one (they seem to be well put together from the couple I've fondled).
    Of course you can never go wrong with a Colt.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For your first you need to go with a full size (5") and stay away from anything with an external extractor

Why?
    My first 1911 was a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry with an external extractor...which prompted me to lurve 9 more 1911s (three more, of which are Kimbers...two others with external extractors)...

:dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    3" does not function like the Prophet Browning wanted. :cool:
    I'm aware of the differences, but I'm asking why people are just saying "You want this..." or "Just get that" as opposed to finding out what the OP might actually pick for himself (given some choice-directing questions about features)...?

You want a ...

you need to go with a...

just get a ...
    :dunno:

Top Bottom