• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I'm aware of the differences, but I'm asking why people are just saying "You want this..." or "Just get that" as opposed to finding out what the OP might actually pick for himself (given some choice-directing questions about features)...?

:dunno:

I know, he should get an Ed Brown and be done with it. :D

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Why?
    My first 1911 was a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry with an external extractor...which prompted me to lurve 9 more 1911s (three more, of which are Kimbers...two others with external extractors)...

:dunno:

Wellllllllllll, as always just my 2 cents, but a 5" with an internal extractor have proven to be the most reliable setup, which is good for a 1911 beginner. Less maintenance, less tuning, and a classic setup will get you familiar with the platform without an abundance of frustration. Softer shooting, more accurate, less picky on ammo... now obviously these are generalizations and there are many 3.5 inchers that run great (I carry a V10 that's ran fantastic), but you have a better chance of failure with them (again generally speaking).

You've been lucky with the Kimbers with the external extractor, those were a known issue with them several years back. But I'm sure that's because you know what you're doing and take care of them like they should be.

Now all that's just assuming he wants a range gun and has an average knowledge of "gunsmithing". If he's more advanced, or looking for a carry gun, then I'd say all options are on the table. Just as a rule of thumb I usually suggest a 1911 that follows JMB's original design more closely for 1911 noobs.

I have a 4" 9mm Kimber that's been a basket case, if it was my first it may have ruined the entire platform for me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Less maintenance and tuning for an internal extractor? That's funny.

External extractors require no tuning. Internals do. It's a skill to be able to properly tune an internal 1911 extractor for tension, proper firing pin stop/groover fitting to prevent clocking, and so on.

As a bit of a traditionalist, I like internal extractors myself, but there's a reason that every other semi-auto uses an external extractor with coil springs providing tension, instead of the extractor itself.

From Hilton Yam of 10-8
    First, let's consider what the external extractor offers - consistent spring tension over the life of the part thanks to a coil spring which does not get worked very hard, and installation/setup that does not require much more than driving out a pin, stuffing the parts in, and putting the pin back in. Compare that to the current internal extractor design which requires hand fitting of the part into the slide, filing of the hook geometry, and bending of the part to create the proper spring tension. This all requires a skilled hand to achieve optimum results. For a single user, the internal extractor is merely a nuisance that can be worked around by having the gunsmith fit a spare extractor or two when the gun is built. For a group of users - such as a tactical team or a department - that "minor nuisance" grows quickly into a ton of man hours spent chasing extractor function.
    (read the whole thing)
    10-8 Performance: External Extractors and 1911s

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd go with Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Volkmann.

I have a deep bench of Les Baers. Have only managed to break one to date.

Bang for the buck? I'd look at the Spartan from STI. I used to sneer (a little) at them but the one that I have shot ran like a sewing machine.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I'd go with Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Volkmann.

I have a deep bench of Les Baers. Have only managed to break one to date.

Bang for the buck? I'd look at the Spartan from STI. I used to sneer (a little) at them but the one that I have shot ran like a sewing machine.

Anyone that has a "deep bench" of Les Baers....... Kudos! My last purchase, an H&K, just about eviscerated my fun fund for the duration. :)

Back to the subject.
    My more modest corral of 1911s has a 3" Kimber. It has so far been 100%. Hope it stays that way.......

Good luck in your search!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Anyone that has a "deep bench" of Les Baers....... Kudos! My last purchase, an H&K, just about eviscerated my fun fund for the duration. :)

Back to the subject.
    My more modest corral of 1911s has a 3" Kimber. It has so far been 100%. Hope it stays that way.......

Good luck in your search!

He means Les Baer action figures, not 1911s. Kirk loves action figures. Especially the ones where les has realistic hair.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Look for a 1911 that has sights you can see, a trigger that you can manage, and dehorned.

The bliss in owning is owed in large part to the shopping.

Enjoy your journey.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    My first 1911 was the kimber 3" crimson ultra carry II. That also open the door to now owning about a dozen 1911s.

I also have a sig Tac ops with an external extractor and I love that gun. It is one of my favorites.

I just picked up a Springfield TRP and that is a super tight fitting gun for the money.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I love it when I read about newbees thinking about a 1911. That is a good thought, but let give a word of warning to you. Thinking about a 1911 leads to thinking about another 1911. It can end up being an endless loop. But that's a good thing. Just remember that unless you just want a high end brand $1,500 plus, you don't need to spend more than $1,200 with most being less than $900.00.

Happy thinking.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Less maintenance and tuning for an internal extractor? That's funny.

External extractors require no tuning. Internals do. It's a skill to be able to properly tune an internal 1911 extractor for tension, proper firing pin stop/groover fitting to prevent clocking, and so on.

As a bit of a traditionalist, I like internal extractors myself, but there's a reason that every other semi-auto uses an external extractor with coil springs providing tension, instead of the extractor itself.

From Hilton Yam of 10-8

(read the whole thing)
    10-8 Performance: External Extractors and 1911s

Any of you fellows have experience with the AFTEC internal extractor? I've been tempted to buy one just to try it, even though I'm a fan of the regular extractors.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Any of you fellows have experience with the AFTEC internal extractor? I've been tempted to buy one just to try it, even though I'm a fan of the regular extractors.
    I have installed a couple and liked them very well. Still have one around here somewhere. I figured that since it's doesn't take any tuning it would be handy in case I had a problem on one of my 1911s. Install is a little tricky until you get the hang of it but I installed it and ran about 100 rounds through the pistol and it seemed very reliable.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Yer killin' me - :draw:
    WCT23646_450.JPG

Specifications:
    4" Professional - 45ACP
    Stainless frame and slide
    Ed Brown Bobtail
    Naked slide
    Wilson logo behind rear cocking serrations
    'Wilson Combat' engraved on dust cover
    Slide top serrations
    Serrated rear of slide
    Flush cut / reverse crown barrel
    Countersink slide stop
    Front and rear tritium sights
    Black and gray Starburst grips
    47DC magazines

cough,cough. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    VN Vet is right. I have two 1911's.

One of them is a D&L Sports 5". Hardchromed, Bar-Sto barrel, Caspian frame. I carry it on duty, much to the dismay of many of my contemporaries.

The second is a D&L Sports Colt Officer's model. Hardchromed also, FLGR, 24# single recoil spring, both with Hogue grips.

Big brother, little brother. The Officer's is for off-duty carry.

No, I have had no problems with either one.

Top Bottom