• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well, with cottage cheese, I like the stuff I get from Aldi because it's "dryer" than the stuff from Kroger. I like it with pineapple or peaches too.

I love broccoli, and brussels sprouts now too, although I hated them as a kid. I like tomatoes (locally grown, not hothouse) on a BLT, but can't stand them plain, although my mom used to tell me that I would go out into the garden and eat them off the vine when I was a kid. Like I said, it's weird how our tastes change.
    My father was that way, take some salt and pepper out to the garden and pick a few tomatoes I was more like :nuts: now a kohlrabi, then I’m down.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some of you remind me of some of my kids' spoiled little girl friends. You gotta try new stuff! My ex occasionally brings me scrapple from the amish grocery at losantville. Sometimes I love it, sometimes not so much.
    Most times I would agree. But scrapple, souse, head cheese?

tracy-morgan-no-way.gif

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Had to look it up, but it's a turnip. I used to like turnips, but haven't had one in probably 25 years.
    My buddies mom and dad always had them in their garden. I assumed I was getting a joke played on me the first time he suggested we go try one, but I remember they were really good, I think I might try planting a few just to pull up and munch on.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Some of you remind me of some of my kids' spoiled little girl friends. You gotta try new stuff! My ex occasionally brings me scrapple from the amish grocery at losantville. Sometimes I love it, sometimes not so much.
    Hear hear.
    Growing up very poor, I ate whatever Mom cooked and put on the table. “Eww” and “I don’t like that” was never an option — really lowered my threashold for “edible”.

Most of the things above just make me chuckle — headcheese, liverwurst, scrapple, brains, organ meat, frog legs, liver and onions, it’s all good! Some of those were rare special “holiday foods” at my grandparents house.

Chitterlings are probably the only food I ever didn’t have the stomach (or, more precisely, the nose) to try.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Scrapple can be made with a minimum of organs or hole hog scrapple.
    I bring rappa brand home with me when I visit DelMarVa to see family.
    Im not big on loads of organs myself. To much iron taste.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hear hear.
    Growing up very poor, I ate whatever Mom cooked and put on the table. “Eww” and “I don’t like that” was never an option — really lowered my threashold for “edible”.

Most of the things above just make me chuckle — headcheese, liverwurst, scrapple, brains, organ meat, frog legs, liver and onions, it’s all good! Some of those were rare special “holiday foods” at my grandparents house.

Chitterlings are probably the only food I ever didn’t have the stomach (or, more precisely, the nose) to try.
    I loved the smell of liver and onions when Mom was cooking it. Hated eating it. Still like frog legs though. And if liverwurst is the same as braunschwieger (sp?), then I still like that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Scrapple can be made with a minimum of organs or hole hog scrapple.
    I bring rappa brand home with me when I visit DelMarVa to see family.
    Im not big on loads of organs myself. To much iron taste.
    I actually talked Mom into cooking heart one time. IIRC (it's been a LONG time ago) it was basically like super lean beef.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I actually talked Mom into cooking heart one time. IIRC (it's been a LONG time ago) it was basically like super lean beef.

Many times as a kid my brothers and I walked in the house and did a 180 and went across the field to our great aunts house for dinner.
    She accommodated use. lol
    I can still smell that stink. None of us eat organs, except sausage casings.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    How did she cook it?
    I tried it myself once, and totally bunged it up - the meat turned out tougher than shoe leather.
    You gotta use the pressure cooker on that. My old man made it a couple times, I never had the guts to try it. He also made tongue, that stuff is delicious! The texture will throw you off a little :banana:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You gotta use the pressure cooker on that. My old man made it a couple times, I never had the guts to try it. He also made tongue, that stuff is delicious! The texture will throw you off a little :banana:
    We ate loads of pork and beef tongue growing up. My dad would take a fillet knife and slice the bumps off. Much better mouth feel without the sandpaper.

Top Bottom