• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    it's a tuff situation,,,but i'm just trying to follow the situation the original post has put me in.....i would hope that by the time he's walking toward me i would have already figured out plan B....but we all carry guns so in the event we feel our life is in danger...we have this option....like i said me being older..and with some handicaps i've developed from living life to the fullest i might draw the {my life is in danger} line alittle sooner then most....

:yesway:... that's how it has to work. Also, age and handicaps would likely give you a disparity of force situation. Allowing you to draw the line sooner then a 20 something athletic type.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    A defense atty. for him wont be necessary if he's dead. "Shoot to disable(Center mass) not to kill" thats the way I was taught to do it

where on earth were you taught to shoot to disable?

This is not the place for an english lesson. I got on INGO to get away from the sh*t on HT, I thought this site was more mature

this site is more mature. thats why people are trying to get you to stop typing like a 6 year old.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    where on earth were you taught to shoot to disable?

i would shoot to disable too....permanently disabling my attackers cerebral cortex or his mitral valves.

this site is more mature. thats why people are trying to get you to stop typing like a 6 year old.

I Pee Ess wurkd 4 me

lmao you're killing me.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    To all the people discussing the 21 foot rule:

Haven't you seen the movie Collateral? You just gotta do it like this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlChPpdj3E&feature=related]YouTube - ( Collateral ) Mr. Cruise Being Bad Guy Vincent[/ame]

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Thread from the grave! I had followed this for about 7-8 pages, then somehow didn't see it continue on! Lots of insightful posts here, time to read from the beginning. *stretch!*

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, if it was ME, and the guy didn't have a weapon, I'm pulling a knife instead of a gun, and backing away. While backing away, I'm telling him I don't want to fight him, but if he insists I'll carve his a** up. And I'll keep backing away and taking angles as necessary. I'll repeat a few times, for the benefit of any witnesses, that I don't want to fight him, but if he insists I'll carve him up.

This way, as long as he doesn't get too close, everybody gets to walk away unharmed. But if he gets too close, I'll do what I promised: I'll carve him up. Then I'll watch him bleed out over the next minute or two.

If he has any weapon whatsoever, it's gun time.

If I carried pepper spray, I would use that first, but I don't.

But since the OP mentioned that I already drew a gun... I guess I would shoot him if he kept advancing. I saw a guy get punched in the face once, fall down, hit his head on the pavement and go into a coma. I saw another guy get shoved out into traffic, and a cab hit him. I saw a third guy get shoved down a set of subway steps. His leg somehow ended up bent backwards. All of those happened in Chicago.

I'm not going out like that, and I think I can do a good job of articulating how a reasonable person of 43 years would be in fear of "serious bodily injury" when faced with an unarmed attacker.

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    Since you have all ready drawn, I think shooting him in the knee cap would be the thing to do in this situation. If he produces a weapon finish him, I mean you can't re-draw your weapon now to diffuse.:D

Don't ever shoot to wound. It opens you up to civil liability issues. There is nothing wrong with de-escalation either. Make every attempt to get out of the situation or area before resorting to deadly force. Yell, scream, and draw attention to yourself. Get as many witnesses as possible before shooting if it comes to that. Show that you tried every possible attempt to not shoot.

Here is a useful link should you ever have to discharge your firearm is self defense.

Georgia Criminal Law Blog » Blog Archive » Don’t talk to the police :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Don't ever shoot to wound. It opens you up to civil liability issues. There is nothing wrong with de-escalation either. Make every attempt to get out of the situation or area before resorting to deadly force. Yell, scream, and draw attention to yourself. Get as many witnesses as possible before shooting if it comes to that. Show that you tried every possible attempt to not shoot.

Here is a useful link should you ever have to discharge your firearm is self defense.

Georgia Criminal Law Blog » Blog Archive » Don’t talk to the police :D

I guess you missed my sarcasism, this thread was started before someone invented purple text. :D

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    jbombelli

Drawing a knife and using it is considered LETHAL FORCE and gets you put in prison if the other guy is unarmed without extenuating circumstances. And if you go to court and they subpoena records from this forum where you claimed you would "carve his arse up", you might just find yourself having a hard time convincing a jury you weren't carrying that knife for any other reason than to carve somebody up. Not a wise thing to post on a public forum.

This discussion of "no duty to retreat" seems to have taken over some people's understanding of what self-defense actually is.

I guess the question I would ask in the original poster's scenario is "What is it you are defending?"

If you are defending your life, the life of another, or your property, then I believe you have a right to stand your ground. If you draw a weapon, be it knife or gun, the jury will ask for a reasonable justification for such an act. In other words, just because you might suck at unarmed fighting doesn't give you the right to escalate the situation all the way to lethal force just because you feel you have the right to defend yourself. If you are cornered and the opponent outweighs you by a hundred pounds or has buddies you saw were aproaching and they didn't look like they were coming to cheer you on, then a weapon might become appropo.

In court, the question will be "Was your response proportional to the threat?" An unarmed guy advancing on your position doesn't automatically give you the right to start shooting or cutting the guy to ribbons.

A good (and thorough) article by a guy who knows is at the following link:

What is Self-Defense?

After reading it, you will have a greater appreciation for all of the factors that must be weighed when considering appropriate response to threats.

Vanguard.45

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Now Im not going to read through 30 pages of posts so as far as I know the following has been said 18 times already...
    What I would do is turn my strong side away form the aggressor, clear whatever cover garment I am wearing, get a grip on my pistol and make it clear that I am armed. While backing up slowly if possible (you have to consider the possibility that something will be blocking your path of retreat) I would be yelling, YELLING, commands to "STOP" "STAYBACK" "IF YOU CONTINUE TO ADVANCE YOU WILL BE MET WITH FORCE"...Now if something happens there is no way the aggressor can say (if he lives) he just wanted to talk, shake hands...whatever. He knows you see him as a threat and you warned him you will treat him as a threat.
    I am also a big believer in flashlights. I carry a Fenix pd30 everywhere I go. I feel the super-bright strobe feature would completely take away the aggressors vision and give you plenty of time and opportunity to get out of the situation and leave them standing there not knowing what is going to happen next. Personally in any low-light situation that could lead to any kind of physical altercation, the first thing I am reaching for is my light, time permitting of course.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Has anyone brought up the Tueller drill? The exersize about how an attacker 21 ft from an man with a holstered gun will get to the gun man before he can draw an fire?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    "I was in fear for my life. I'd like to speak to an attorney, please."

Though, if I read it correctly, there's one heck of a jump from a verbal assault to drawing a firearm. If it got that bad and I felt like it was going to escalate beyond the auditory attacks, I'd probably try to leave. At that point, the other guy is going to have to let me go or physically put his hands on me to stop me.

At which point the situation changes entirely.

Top Bottom