• ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Vanguard45,

First, I wasn’t responding to the OP in the above posts I made in response to yours. I was responding directly to your general assertions on the use of DF & the requirements for its justification.

If you would like to see my thoughts on the OP you could jump in the ol’ “way back machine” (there’s a blast from the past for you :fogey:) & check out my posts. They start at post #128.

Here’s the first to give you a taste:

So what exactly is the "threat"?

You say there was one but you also say that he is not known by you to be armed & he has broken off his verbal "assault" but is walking toward you in a "slow, non-threatening manner".

There is no distinction in the law authorizing deadly force between 'your property' & 'public property' unless 'your property' is your dwelling, curtilage or occupied vehicle.

I think you might find that in regard to the OP I tend to agree with you that shooting the “attacker” might not be reasonable. You better figure out a way to convince a jury that it was or you could be in a world of hurt.

When you get to use deadly force and don't have to retreat

"to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force."

"if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony."

"if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle."

"if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat; only if that force is justified under subsection (a)."

"if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or stop the other person from hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight."

Second, from your reply above you seem to have skipped over a small but fairly important part of my last post.

YOU CANNOT USE DF TO PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY FROM THEFT OR DAMAGE.

You can only use DF if in the course of using reasonable force to protect your property if the other person escalates the confrontation to the point that DF is justified (i.e. SBI)

You seem to be misreading the IC on using force in SD & are throwing all of the IC into the same pot.

Let’s post it up & break it down:

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.
    (c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:
    only if that force is justified under subsection (a).
    (d) A person is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person and does not have a duty to retreat if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or stop the other person from hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight. For purposes of this subsection, an aircraft is considered to be in flight while the aircraft is:
    (1) on the ground in Indiana:
    (A) after the doors of the aircraft are closed for takeoff; and (B) until the aircraft takes off;
    (2) in the airspace above Indiana; or
    (3) on the ground in Indiana:
    (A) after the aircraft lands; and
    (B) before the doors of the aircraft are opened after landing.
    (e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if:
    (1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime;
    (2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.
    (f) Notwithstanding subsection (d), a person is not justified in using force if the person:
    (1) is committing, or is escaping after the commission of, a crime;
    (2) provokes unlawful action by another person, with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) continues to combat another person after the other person withdraws from the encounter and communicates the other person's intent to stop hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.1. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.8; Acts 1979, P.L.297, SEC.1; P.L.59-2002, SEC.1; P.L.189-2006, SEC.1.

Ok, so from the above, you can use ONLY reasonable force (not deadly force) to:

1. protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force.

2. if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

You can use deadly force only if:

1. the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony.

2. the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

3. the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or stop the other person from hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight.

And last, you can’t justify the use of ANY kind of force if:

1. you are committing or escaping after the commission of a crime;

2. you provoke unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or

3. you have entered into combat with another person or are the initial aggressor unless you withdraw from the encounter and communicate to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.

The last section above is why I said previously that if you get into a fist fight with the person you have made your use of self-defense as a justification much harder later if the situation turns deadly.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My last couple of responses. . .

because I think we've beaten this one to death!

finity wrote: "You seem to be misreading the IC on using force in SD & are throwing all of the IC into the same pot"

Response: If you notice in my "cut and paste" from the statute, you will see the inclusion of "only if that force is justified under subsection (a)." I understand the aggressor must be a reasonably perceived threat to the health/ safety of me or another person before deadly force comes into play.

finity wrote: "And last, you can’t justify the use of ANY kind of force if: . . .
    . . .3. you have entered into combat with another person or are the initial aggressor unless you withdraw from the encounter and communicate to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.

The last section above is why I said previously that if you get into a fist fight with the person you have made your use of self-defense as a justification much harder later if the situation turns deadly."

My response: I think this interpretation is a bit simplistic (although I think I understand your point). You mean to say if I decide to "step outside" with someone (either literally or figuratively) and engage in mutual combat whereas I could have avoided the conflict by walking away, or at least make the ATTEMPT to walk away, then "self-defense" is a hard alibi. I agree with you.

If, however, an attacker approaches me without a weapon, and I, realizing either that I have no route of escape or must stand and fight to defend myself or another person, choose to initially defend myself without a weapon and later realize that the fight is escalating (i.e. the aggressor draws a weapon mid-fight, or two more of his buddies appear on the scene and begin to move in to help their buddy take me down) to a point where I am justified in using deadly force to prevent serious bodily injury or death to myself or another, then I am fine to do so as long as it was a reasonable decision given the circumstances. Again, it all comes down to whether or not you can reasonably say your actions were necessary to defend yourself/ another.

If, on the other hand, you get the upper hand in a defensinve situation and choose to continue pummeling the attacker even after it is reasonably apparent they are no longer a threat, then legal problems may, and should, arise. In a gun situation, it would be similar to shooting a knife-wielding attacker, and, after they fall down and drop their weapon and are OBVIOUSLY not worried about attacking you any more, but rather, are begging for mercy and for someone to call an ambulance, you decide to walk over and put one in their head.

That's what we call a PROBLEM.

Thanks again for the lively discussion.

Vanguard.45 OUT!

Top Bottom