Not open for further replies.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Striated skeletal muscle meat only.
    Brains, liver, kidney, tripe, feet..................didn't eat any of that crap, and we had a farm.

BTW, I thought CWD came from cattle eating feed made with sheep nervous tissue.
    Maybe even sheep known to be sick, no usable, so re purposed as protein supplement in the feed.

Oops.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hope that Colt Python will be okay.....I know it's stainless but that doesn't mean anything...Do you think they put a "stunt double" for the Python in the hole???? I mean...Hollywood doesn't hate guns so much as to actually reallly leave that Python out in that hole do they????

I just hope it's okay...The factory wood grips as well...All of that Georgia moisture seeping into the ground...This is just awful...I hate cliffhangers like this...

I'm worried too! And why doesn't it get billing in the credits?

​rhino out!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I stopped eating beef a couple of decades ago partly because of my fear of contracting brain wasting diseases like CJD. Recreational drugs like ecstasy do similar damage. I like my brain too much to risk it for a mouthful of red meat.

Trust me, fellas, the last thing I'll be doing post-apoc is turning cannibal. My concern will be more to the preventing myself from becoming a meal of others.

The above post was more a literary critique. Seemed the conversation was heading toward the "If their hands shake, they must be cannibals. If they're hands don't shake, they must not be cannibals" direction, and I just wanted the basic info out there. Another insidious fact about human infection by Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or any other brain wasting disease is that first symptoms appear not days, weeks, or months after infection, but years. Just say no to cannibalism. Just say yes to loving your own brain. It is, after all, where you truly live.

Are there actual documented cases of such diseases crossing species from animal to human just by ingesting meat? Or are you just being careful?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Talking of eating people and the screen names.

Jeremiah Johnson was nicknamed " liver eating Johnson " for his tendency to eat the livers of the indian's attempting to kill him.

I've read quite a bit about him. Vardis Fisher wrote a novel based on his life story - Mountain Man - is a much closer account of his interaction with "the crazy woman" in the Crazy Woman Mountain Range. The closest we have to a history of him is "Crow Killer" - a short read and most of the facts are from Del Gue. His real name was John Johnston, which was changed by a mistake when he served in the Union Army - changed to John Johnson. He thought it easier to just roll with it than to try to change it.

He got into trouble with the army on several occasions because he would injure or kill Indians often wearing the blue - simply because there was a grudge or prior problem.

The 10 Crow warriors commissioned to kill him were specially picked. Their job was to kill him or not come home. They couldn't visit or see their families. They attacked one at a time and in their own time. It took over 10 years for the last one to attack. John killed them all. His favorite way to fight was hand to hand. It was said he could lift a grown man off the ground with one kick; often the man would hit the ground dead.

As to the practice of eating the livers of the attackers from the Crow, there's a lot of talk, but no real proof where it came from. No one really did it before or since. There are no traditions or histories in either Indians or white men. I think - my personal belief - he was mocking the cougar. One thing the cougar does that no other predator does is to eviscerate it's kill then either eat some or cache' to eat later. More often than not this evisceration was the liver alone. To John, I believe, there was nothing more intimidating than the predator cougar that killed it's prey and then ingested it's liver. I think it was a strong signal that said, "F$%^ with me and you're going to lose".

Perhaps the termites are feeding and making a statement? I don't know, I don't read the comics or spoilers so I have no clue. But, most who are herded as is their apparent practice, right past the bones, perhaps they are paralyzed with fear. Perhaps it makes them easier to deal with. Perhaps.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Count me as informed in learning Jeremiah Johnson was a "real" person.

The movie adds a lot of things and changes a lot of things. The real man - John Johnston - was a true mountain man. He had no problem killing, but held no grudge when the difference was settled. He was also a small town Sheriff and had a real simple way to settle fighting and shouting disputes in saloons - he "banged their heads together". A time or two one or both died and that's how he eventually lost his sheriff job. Almost completely unheard of for a mountain man he lived into his 90's. Buried in a simple grave that only says, "There's No More Trails".

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I've read stuff about it. But I know CiB will have done serious research and know for sure!
    No, that pretty much digested what I knew about it. Except, I take issue with that list stating categoricly that you can't contract it by eating infected beef.

Wikipedia said:
    It is thought that humans can contract the disease by consuming material from animals infected with the bovine form of the disease. The only suspected cases to arise thus far have been vCJD with cases in the UK and Canada, moreover there are fears—based on animal studies—that consuming beef or beef products containing prion particles can also cause the development of classic CJD. When BSE material infects humans, the resulting disease is known as (new) variant CJD (nvCJD).

So, it's not believed to be entirely impossible, just impossible to rule out entirely.

Also note, the issues that gave rise to this issue is not humans eating cows, but humans eating humans, which will give rise to CJD far more readily than humans eating anything else would give rise to any other form of CWD.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmissible_spongiform_encephalopathy

So, be that as it may, I'm just going to reiterate my earlier statement that the depiction in post apocalyptic fiction of TSEs resulting from cannibalism (The Road, The Book of Eli) is overwrought for dramatic effect, but not an issue that should be dismissed out of hand by extreme prepper types as too statisticly remote to be of concern (i.e. pass the long pork). After all, if you're willing to entertain thought experiments of how to prep for or survive in the Zombie Apocalypse… Is statistical improbability really a barrier?

CIB out and clear.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think they are cannibals, but there is an awful lot of them. Remember when they were corralled there was a whole bunch outside the fence. Some of the zombie books I have read over the years suggested those that are cannibals get the shakes. Is that true? Why would they save the bones?

No, but cannibals often get yeast like infections around their mouths.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If the show goes the way the comics do, even loosely it's going to be fantastic! I like the variations they put into the show a lot, it's exciting and refreshing most often. But the comics ahead have great things, I can't wait for season 5!!

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    Wasn't the guy that Tyreece and Carol met at the train tracks from Terminus? He told them to head towards Terminus didn't he? I remember that he said something about staying on the tracks but I can't remember what else he told them. If he is from Terminus, he could be their "in" and they could become members instead of livestock

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom