The video of Sam Dubose's death is so bad, Cincinnati is prepping for riots.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think the bottle he handed him was alcohol. I think he says it's air freshener. And I've never seen yellow gin.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think there's a legitimate fear by the officer of being dragged by the vehicle. He running by the side of the vehicle as it pulls away, takes his shot, and loses balance.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I watched the video.

From all the hype, I expected it to be clear cut.

For me, it wasn't.

Am i just ignorant?

It certainly wasn't as bad as the Walter Scott video (kind of hard to top shooting a 50 year old man in the back as he is SLOWLY jogging away from you). However, I think the problem lies more with his previous statements that Mr. Dubose almost ran him over AND was dragging him when he shot him. There is a huge difference between "He was dragging me, so I shot him" and "I thought he MIGHT drag me, so I shot him".

Looking at the video again, the car doesn't seem to move at all until AFTER the shot. MAYBE the officer really did fear being run over or dragged. However, based on news reports, the officer did not claim that he feared being dragged or run over. He said he almost was run over and was dragged.

The moral of this story seems to be don't lie to the police, EVEN if you are the police.

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've watched it a couple times and it's hard to tell what happens but I don't see how the officers life was in danger. JMHO.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    The driver was a idiot no doubt. But he was not threatening the cop except by starting the car for a get away. Is it justified to shoot someone fleeing the scene? The cop did not have to stick his arms in the car that he KNEW was going to start moving. If I purposely put my self in the way of a car can I then legally shoot the driver? I agree the cop was not intending to kill someone that morning but poor decisions led to that and he should have to deal with the consequences just like everyone else. Im with the idiot driver he was stupid but did not deserve to die for his stupidity. Cops should be not be able to kill someone unless there life is in danger and it seems to me it would have been easier to remove his arm then to use his second arm to pull a gun and shoot. Im sure that cop regrets that spit second decision and will regret it for a long time.

Also can the cop say he was fearful for the public safety with a drunk guy on a high speed chase? Agree bottle does not look open but sure did seem like he was a little messed up. Of coarse as someone else said if he was drunk and the cop new he would have pulled him out right off the bat. Cruddy all around.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    When i was younger i had some dealing with the police. Nothing bad, just a bunch of traffic violations, young kid with fast cars. I never ran off or put up a fight. I excepted my punishment and paid my fines. Amazingly enough, i was never shot or stomped by Jack booted thugs.... Admit when your wrong and except your punishment like a man! The majority of the police officers are just doing their job. Every walk of life has its ass holes, but as a whole, the cops are trying to help.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When i was younger i had some dealing with the police. Nothing bad, just a bunch of traffic violations, young kid with fast cars. I never ran off or put up a fight. I excepted my punishment and paid my fines. Amazingly enough, i was never shot or stomped by Jack booted thugs.... Admit when your wrong and except your punishment like a man! The majority of the police officers are just doing their job. Every walk of life has its ass holes, but as a whole, the cops are trying to help.

Conversely, I have been in fights with people, had them run off in cars, and even had to avoid being run over. I have yet to shoot anyone.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    MByEDT8.jpg

Now, I'm not going to say that the man deserved to die. It's an unfortunate situation for sure and I understand he's left behind many children. I am glad the cop had a body cam so that we can see what really happened, I think more police should have to wear them as it's certainly a beneficial tool in cases like this.

It's quite possible the shot fired was an unfortunate accident or a sincere and justified fear of life. The officer was certainly not in the same position he was in a few seconds after the driver decided he didn't want to stay put and accelerated off.

Messed up situation indeed, but whats done is done. Curious to see how this all plays out.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Lebowski,

Thanks for the freeze frames. It made me pull up a web app that allows you to play youtube videos frame by frame RowVid.

Looking at it. The gunshot doesn't occur at 1:56. It is actually closer to 1:55.5. When the officer gets off the ground he is further up than where he was when the car was stopped, but he is also across the street. It is quite possible that that is just where he landed when he was backing up and fell.

One thing I was paying attention to is the view through Mr Dubose's passenger side front window. The difficult part is that at very moment of the shot much of the image outside the passenger side window has been blurred out (obviously to avoid the public from seeing the actual impact of the bullet into Mr. Dubose's head). However, from what I can see at the exact time of the shot, it appears that the car is in the same location it was in before the shooting. That would mean that the car doesn't start moving (and thus, could not have dragged the officer) until after Mr. Dubose was shot.

Keep in mind, all of the public analysis of this video (from Lebowski's frame by frame shots, to my freeze frame analysis) is based on an edited (intentionally blurred) compressed video (probably retrieved from youtube) and not the original unedited (and unblurred) body-cam video that the authorities have. So this is basically just speculation. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in trial, especially what comes from additional forensic analysis of the video.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The key point to me is that the officer claimed he was dragged and that's why he shot. Another officer claimed he saw his fellow officer being dragged. When you get caught in a lie after using deadly force, you lose all benefit of the doubt. The other officer should also be facing criminal charges.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The still at 1:56 shows his arm caught up in the guys arm. The car is started and moving. The officer was in danger of the weapon (car).

To reach into a car you are pretty close to it. Your feet can even be under the car and in the path of the tires. If you are pulled over and asked to get out of the car and you do what this guy did you can expect to possibly be shot.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The still at 1:56 shows his arm caught up in the guys arm. The car is started and moving. The officer was in danger of the weapon (car).

To reach into a car you are pretty close to it. Your feet can even be under the car and in the path of the tires. If you are pulled over and asked to get out of the car and you do what this guy did you can expect to possibly be shot.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Lebowski,

Thanks for the freeze frames. It made me pull up a web app that allows you to play youtube videos frame by frame RowVid.

Looking at it. The gunshot doesn't occur at 1:56. It is actually closer to 1:55.5. When the officer gets off the ground he is further up than where he was when the car was stopped, but he is also across the street. It is quite possible that that is just where he landed when he was backing up and fell.

One thing I was paying attention to is the view through Mr Dubose's passenger side front window. The difficult part is that at very moment of the shot much of the image outside the passenger side window has been blurred out (obviously to avoid the public from seeing the actual impact of the bullet into Mr. Dubose's head). However, from what I can see at the exact time of the shot, it appears that the car is in the same location it was in before the shooting. That would mean that the car doesn't start moving (and thus, could not have dragged the officer) until after Mr. Dubose was shot.

Keep in mind, all of the public analysis of this video (from Lebowski's frame by frame shots, to my freeze frame analysis) is based on an edited (intentionally blurred) compressed video (probably retrieved from youtube) and not the original unedited (and unblurred) body-cam video that the authorities have. So this is basically just speculation. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in trial, especially what comes from additional forensic analysis of the video.

The "bluring" of the video eliminates the background for a reference of movement. We never see the officers feet to see if he is running with the car or being dragged. In the murder allegation it does not matter, the cop was in the vehicle, he was going to turn off the key or attemting to disengage the car. The driver took off with the cop in the vehicle.

The cop was trying to keep the driver from running away. The officer now runs with, or is dragged by the vehicle. Either way does not matter, cause either can end up serious bodily harm or death.

The officer shoots the guy as soon as he takes off. I can see how the officer was in fear of loosing his life.:twocents:

The city will burn.

This is not murder.

Shooting the driver probably was not the best way to deal with this fleeing suspect. (as stated earlier it could of been worse if a chase happened)

The driver would have been charged with assaulting an LEO with a deadly weapon if the officer jumped away and let him go.
    :twocents:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013

And to even drive forward when you're pulled over on the side of the road you have to veer left... Left, towards the officer.

I won't shed a tear for a drunk driver with a rap sheet as long as Sam Dubose's. He could have easily ran off and drove head on into another vehicle killing innocent people, jumped a curb and killed innocent people, plowed into a house... anything.

Here is another amateur analysis courtesy of the interweb. I'm not making these.

h8q6Ueh.png

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    And to even drive forward when you're pulled over on the side of the road you have to veer left... Left, towards the officer.

I won't shed a tear for a drunk driver with a rap sheet as long as Sam Dubose's. He could have easily ran off and drove head on into another vehicle killing innocent people, jumped a curb and killed innocent people, plowed into a house... anything.

Here is another amateur analysis courtesy of the interweb. I'm not making these.

h8q6Ueh.png

Agreed. No doubt the car also moved left further endangering the officer.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    The "bluring" of the video eliminates the background for a reference of movement. We never see the officers feet to see if he is running with the car or being dragged. In the murder allegation it does not matter, the cop was in the vehicle, he was going to turn off the key or attemting to disengage the car. The driver took off with the cop in the vehicle.

The cop was trying to keep the driver from running away. The officer now runs with, or is dragged by the vehicle. Either way does not matter, cause either can end up serious bodily harm or death.

The officer shoots the guy as soon as he takes off. I can see how the officer was in fear of loosing his life.:twocents:

The city will burn.

This is not murder.

Shooting the driver probably was not the best way to deal with this fleeing suspect. (as stated earlier it could of been worse if a chase happened)

The driver would have been charged with assaulting an LEO with a deadly weapon if the officer jumped away and let him go.
    :twocents:

[video=youtube;7AC9zLzsCaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AC9zLzsCaQ[/video]

Full unedited video. 27 minutes long. No blurring. No media manipulation of the audio to soften the revving of the engine as he takes off.

Enjoy.,

Top Bottom