• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So let's say I bought a TRP. How much money am I looking at to start swapping out the MIM parts?

I'd actually like to shoot a stock 1911, and one that has been modified. Or even a Dan Wesson.

Then drive on down here. I keep a stock Smith E Series around, all I have done to it is swap out the springs and added a clamp on magwell. You can shoot it side by side with my Wilson. Yes there is a difference. But I assure you the $800 Smith is quite accurate and has been very reliable.

CM worked over a couple of guns for me. Even with the MIM parts the triggers are just fine. Eventually those parts will wear out and not maintain the surfaces. At that time I'll take them somewhere to have new parts fit up. So far I have SW1911s that have made it through high round count pistol classes and USPSA matches. So the MIM stuff is serviceable.

I am not holding out hope that Smith and Wesson will ever give me a commission.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Then drive on down here. I keep a stock Smith E Series around, all I have done to it is swap out the springs and added a clamp on magwell. You can shoot it side by side with my Wilson. Yes there is a difference. But I assure you the $800 Smith is quite accurate and has been very reliable.

CM worked over a couple of guns for me. Even with the MIM parts the triggers are just fine. Eventually those parts will wear out and not maintain the surfaces. At that time I'll take them somewhere to have new parts fit up. So far I have SW1911s that have made it through high round count pistol classes and USPSA matches. So the MIM stuff is serviceable.

I am not holding out hope that Smith and Wesson will ever give me a commission.

I may take you up on that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ahh so basically casted parts

I think that there's a difference. With a cast part, the basic metal used is melted and poured into a mold. With MIM, the powdered metal is formed into a slurry with a binder and injected into a mold that's slightly oversized. Then the finished part is baked at a high temperature which burns the binder off and the powdered metal fuses into a solid piece. Here's a better article that describes the process. Metal Injection Molding – A Primer

From the article, I gather that MIM is better than cast and can be quite good if the QC is up to snuff. I have read that there are jet engines that use MIM turbine blades and that is about as critical an application as you can find. The problem with MIM is not so much MIM itself, but the process and QC used by the manufacturer. JMHO though. :):

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think that there's a difference. With a cast part, the basic metal used is melted and poured into a mold. With MIM, the powdered metal is formed into a slurry with a binder and injected into a mold that's slightly oversized. Then the finished part is baked at a high temperature which burns the binder off and the powdered metal fuses into a solid piece. Here's a better article that describes the process. Metal Injection Molding – A Primer

From the article, I gather that MIM is better than cast and can be quite good if the QC is up to snuff. I have read that there are jet engines that use MIM turbine blades and that is about as critical an application as you can find. The problem with MIM is not so much MIM itself, but the process and QC used by the manufacturer. JMHO though. :):

I've heard that too. There's good MIM, and there's the rest. And it's all in how good your QC is and how much you've developed your processes. I think MIM has a bad rap because a lot of the companies who use it in guns have employed the "shoot the engineer and start production" mentality.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    I really like the guys at Practically Tactical! They have some good videos and an entertaining weekly show. Dave also does amazing work!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    [video=youtube_share;9kXwmfip15c]http://youtu.be/9kXwmfip15c[/video]

I will watch the video later. But I know my answer since I own and carry SW1911s. The E series and Performance SW1911 are production guns. Not customs. Period. Although I do think they offer quite a bit out of the box. The mouse mod will not like the external extractors and the frames seem ever so slightly wider making fitting parts more difficult. But out of the box every one of my SW1911s worked. Wife and I own 4 of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will watch the video later. But I know my answer since I own and carry SW1911s. The E series and Performance SW1911 are production guns. Not customs. Period. Although I do think they offer quite a bit out of the box. The mouse mod will not like the external extractors and the frames seem ever so slightly wider making fitting parts more difficult. But out of the box every one of my SW1911s worked. Wife and I own 4 of them.

Sig...................:n00b:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sorry LM but I could not watch the whole thing. Guy is an idiot. I have seen his videos before and he was an idiot in those as well. He is correct that there are some nice production 1911s out there. I will even argue that 1911s are a game of diminishing returns. An $800 is twice as good as a $400, but a $1600 gun is not 4x better. It is or at least should be nicer though.

For the record if given the choice between 3 new Sigs or a Kobra Carry I'm taking the Ed Brown. And yes I would carry and use that gun.

Top Bottom