Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Going from many of your-camp's posts, I continue to struggle to figure out why you even partake in discussion of the presidential election. It's clear that you have no real interest in any candidate, you're not wanting any of them to really win, but you're really wanting one to lose.

How exactly do you have a productive conversation with people who have a dog in the race and are debating against each other? It's kind of like saying you're sitting dinner out but you're criticizing everyone's menu suggestions.

What is productive about agreeing? What is productive about an echo chamber?

At one point I had made peace with the clothespin and had resolved to vote for him. Think of that resolve as an armored suit, and every idiotic thing he says and does, or should have said and didn't, or shouldn't have said and did, as armor piercing arrows. Eventually there's not enough left of my resolve to vote for him. He just keeps wearing it away. Because I PAY ATTENTION to what's happening, even if it goes against what I want. I really do want to be able to support Trump. He just makes that incredibly hard. He keeps telling us how smart he is, and I see little evidence of that. I see mostly a petulant, egotistical child who is pathologically incapable of being criticized without striking back at every little barb.

I wish I could like Trump. I wish I could support him. But I don't put my fingers in my ears every time a legitimate criticism of Trump comes along. I criticize him when he screws up. I defend him when I think he's being criticized unfairly.

Not saying I don't have any respect for him. I simply wonder what the objective of most of the discussions are?

Venting I guess?

If Trump was out of the race and Cruz would have won, I wouldn't have given a care about Cruz even though I despise him. My efforts would have been focused on what ever it takes to keep hillary out of office. Tearing down Cruz would not help keep hillary out of office.

I have a goal and a dog in the fight. I want my guns and I want left the hell alone. There's 4 possible doors to walk through, 2 of them are irrelevant to my goals, and only 1 of them is relevant and has a chance of aligning most closely with my goals. I can not fathom how trying to sway people away from what has at least a 1% chance of a better outcome is rational or sane. It makes as much sense as those people who cut themselves.

Every gun owner has a dog in this fight. I want my guns and I want left the hell alone too. The problem with doors is that you can't see what's on the other side until you open them. You strongly believe you know what's on the other side of the Trump door. I'm certain what's on the other side of the Hillary door. But I'm not as certain as you that the Trump door is any more safe. I kinda don't want either of those doors opened.

I am in the same boat, except I haven't completely given up. He still has a couple of months to stop saying stupid :poop: and win my vote.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm not saying I can never vote for Trump.

And here's an admission. I can recognize a similar feeling that I had in 2004. I wanted to fire GWB as POTUS because he got us into a war with Iraq that we didn't need to fight. We didn't gain anything worth the lives and livelihoods of our soldiers who died or were injured. I felt GWB betrayed the public trust and had not earned a second term. But, even though I didn't vote for him, when he won reelection, I had this sense of relief that he did win. And even during the campaign, deep down I did not want him to lose to Kerry. I kinda have this same feeling about Trump. I feel that I really don't want him to lose to Hillary, but, intellectually, principally, I can't support him. It's like a battle between thinking and feeling.

Cruz isn't a good analogy. And I've tried to come up with a better analog to help frame my problem with Trump.

The closest I can get is Bloomberg. (Not a perfect analogy, since he has actual political experience.)

What if Bloomberg ran as a Republican, admitted his mistake on gun control, and won the nomination? Given his prior stance on guns, I think most of INGO would agree he would be a terrible nominee and not a good POTUS.

For me, Trump is as vile as Bloomberg, but for different reasons... well... some of the same reasons.

If some on INGO expressed that if a Bloomberg presidency kept HRC out, would you vote for him?

I think this isn't a great analogy but I think I can make it work.

Tombs is right. Bloomberg is orders of magnitude more invested in his ideology, and that is orders of magnitude worse than Trump. Trump is almost purely pragmatic. His ideology is self fulfillment. His ideology: Donald J Trump.

I can see Trump waffling on positions for purely pragmatic reasons. And that's why I don't trust him. It's not that I think he'll revert to his old positions because he had arrived at those ideologically. The place where your analogy holds up is this: a leopard can't change its spots and neither can Bloomie or Trump. Bloomberg can't not be a mammoth government statist. That's who he is. Trump can be a statist, or an anarchist, or a communist, or a capitalist--whatever it takes to win the goal he's after at the moment. That's who he is, and the spots he can't change is his pragmatic devotion to winning the deal, and furthering himself.

My friend, persuasion is rarely the goal of discussion. At least, that's not how I was raised, or even how I am naturally. And, as I've often said, in Indiana, it doesn't matter. So, we can talk about this stuff all we want. :)

The goal of discussion is an exchange of ideas. Sometimes that's persuasive, sometimes it's informative, sometimes it's just casually shooting the breeze. Some discussions are more productive than others. I think exchanges of ideas are more productive among critically open minded people with diverse opinons. Not much exchange of ideas happen in echo chambers.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Show me the tax return! I don't understand all those people who screamed to see the birth certificate, the college transcripts, the ... but they allow The Donald to pass on showing us the fruits of his business ethics? Do not turn this about HRC. This is about Donald Trump hiding what he has done over the years, and he is now lying about it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Show me the tax return! I don't understand all those people who screamed to see the birth certificate, the college transcripts, the ... but they allow The Donald to pass on showing us the fruits of his business ethics? Do not turn this about HRC. This is about Donald Trump hiding what he has done over the years, and he is now lying about it.

hypocritical ain't it?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Point made?

Your point? Yes. :) I've understood your perspective for awhile now. ;)

I think you missed my point, though. Although, maybe not. Basically, the point is that as bad as you think Bloomberg is on guns is how bad I think Trump is on everything.

Oh, and jamil (not his real name) also presented a good clarification of it.

The place where your analogy holds up is this: a leopard can't change its spots and neither can Bloomie or Trump. Bloomberg can't not be a mammoth government statist. That's who he is. Trump can be a statist, or an anarchist, or a communist, or a capitalist--whatever it takes to win the goal he's after at the moment. That's who he is, and the spots he can't change is his pragmatic devotion to winning the deal, and furthering himself.

Big agreement to this.

T. Lex, I've been running back over a few things in my head and it occurs to me you could be catholic, or at least I don't know that you aren't.
    haha

I am, but no offense taken. At all. In fact, it was funny. :D

This, and I'm also not sure I've heard any resolution to the blind trust issue.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

hypocritical ain't it?

The hypocrisy goes both ways. On a principled level, if you believe that politicians should be above board on questions of their fitness or integrity, and should disclose personal records which are relevant to that, it should not matter whether it's yours or the other side's.

Both Trump and Hillary have some 'splainin' to do to the voters. Trump's taxes and Hillary's transcripts to speeches given to wall street are relevant to answering criticisms of their suitability for POTUS.

However, on a practical level there are some legitimate reasons to push back. Like with Romney, the only reason the Democrats wanted the tax records was to further build the case that Romney's a one percenter. And they used it to build that persona. But the contents were actually unimportant. And we already knew Romney was rich.

If each side is just going to use the other's personal documents to build straw monsters, it's not really all useful for truthfully answering questions about the candidates.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My son and I were discussing the race yesterday when he had a D&D related moment...he paused for a moment and then said, "I just realized that the choices this election are between Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil".

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Now I know what your problem is. Lol.

Apparently I'm Chaotic Neutral.

Chaotic Neutral- A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal. However, chaotic neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all authority, harmony, and order in society.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

:)

aNKyMGG_700b.jpg

BTW You need to check out "Stranger Things" on Netflix....Got a D&D theme and is really good...It takes place in Indiana, is good storytelling and is an homage to all things 80's....

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nah, it has more to do with personal actions then being a dictator. Lawful good will follow the law unless the law is evil then we will make war upon the law and the lawmakers.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think what's killing Trump is his inability to get past his New Yorker attitude. I don't mean that in a Cruz context. I mean it as "you attack and try to insult me i'm gonna hit you back with more egregious insults that probably will include your family"

He gets caught up in reacting to the petty trolling bull**** perpetrated by the other side instead of focusing on hammering the one true enemy in this election.

If Trump were an Ingo member he would be the kind to get banned because he fell for the troll bait.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like this analogy. Rep sent.

What rep? Until they get the rep system fixed, you sent zero.

I think what's killing Trump is his inability to get past his New Yorker attitude. I don't mean that in a Cruz context. I mean it as "you attack and try to insult me i'm gonna hit you back with more egregious insults that probably will include your family"

He gets caught up in reacting to the petty trolling bull**** perpetrated by the other side instead of focusing on hammering the one true enemy in this election.

If Trump were an Ingo member he would be the kind to get banned because he fell for the troll bait.

I'm not sure it's altogether the New Yorker attitude. I think some of it is pathological.

There are real concerns... then there's this:

LA Mayor: Trump victory could turn off IOC voters to '24 Olympics bid

What in the world does Trump winning have to do with the IOC choosing a location for the Olympics? Just some concern trolling.

Well, first this:

**** the olympics.

And, because the media has made the world believe Trump is evil--not as in political evil, but moral evil--they believe the world will hate us and we'll be snubbed for the Olympics. That should be absurd, but it isn't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom