• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Picked up a couple new to me holsters for my 229 yesterday. It's really not that heavy so I will probably carry it for awhile. I shoot it better than most of my pistols and it has plenty of capacity. Oh and nice new 1911 that's sharp!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My new pow-mia 1911 nitron.View attachment 50308

Nice... :yesway:

Picked up a couple new to me holsters for my 229 yesterday. It's really not that heavy so I will probably carry it for awhile. I shoot it better than most of my pistols and it has plenty of capacity. Oh and nice new 1911 that's sharp!

Yeah, the one thing that bothers me about my P226 Legion SAO is that it only holds 15 rounds. Would be nice for a full sized pistol like that to hold 17 or 18 rounds.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Should have specified, but the standard capacity mags should be 17 - 20 rounds. I understand you can buy extended, though I've heard some of the extended mags don't work in the Legion pistols. Don't know for sure, but have read that on Sig Talk...
    It would be nice if they redid the grip, like the 229, and it certainly would fit quite a bit more.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Should have specified, but the standard capacity mags should be 17 - 20 rounds. I understand you can buy extended, though I've heard some of the extended mags don't work in the Legion pistols. Don't know for sure, but have read that on Sig Talk...

Beretta was the same way, they didn't add a 17 rounder until the 92A1 (maybe 90-two but I don't count that pistol lol). The new M9A3 comes with 17 rounders, I would think that would be the standard these days for a full size pistol at least! You can trace those 15 round full size service magazines back to the days of the 1911's retirement from serious USA .mil use.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it's a trade off between losing 2 bullets of capacity and changing the grip, I'll leave the grip as it is thanks. The Legion is the first P-series grip that I've found comfortable.

I believe the change to the frame to accept the wider magazine is internal only. I haven't put calipers on them, but I don't feel any difference and the same grips fit.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I believe the change to the frame to accept the wider magazine is internal only. I haven't put calipers on them, but I don't feel any difference and the same grips fit.

The only time I've ever fondled the P226, they had old style grips like on the MK25, which felt bigger to me. Looking at a model like the TacOps, it looks like that has thinner grips, like on my Legion. I don't know, there are so many different models... :dunno:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    The only time I've ever fondled the P226, they had old style grips like on the MK25, which felt bigger to me. Looking at a model like the TacOps, it looks like that has thinner grips, like on my Legion. I don't know, there are so many different models... :dunno:
    Inside mag well is the same size. Grips can be swapped out or put in the E2 grip which really reduces the size. Like was said above, from the 228 and original 229, they changed the internal mag well size so the P229 will hold all of the magazines, as well as the newer slightly larger magazines. I know my M11A1 will feed the P226 and P228 mags as well as its own. I can use P228 (or P229) grips and the outside is the same.
    Hope that my rambling explanation helped some at least.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Inside mag well is the same size. Grips can be swapped out or put in the E2 grip which really reduces the size. Like was said above, from the 228 and original 229, they changed the internal mag well size so the P229 will hold all of the magazines, as well as the newer slightly larger magazines. I know my M11A1 will feed the P226 and P228 mags as well as its own. I can use P228 (or P229) grips and the outside is the same.
    Hope that my rambling explanation helped some at least.

I'm so confused... :):

Top Bottom