Arcadia

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Reports I saw were thousands of calls, three of a threatening nature. None substantiated as a legitimate threat. But what the hell, it gives him a convenient reason to panhandle electronically.

So showing support is now panhandling?? Criminy... Maybe you should tell baldguy and hoosierdoc that they are panhandlers. Are you trying to out eye-roll Kutnupe now?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There may be 2 percent but I think they have like 50%ish of the support. Not quite the same.

What you're really saying, then, is that our constitutional republic is well and truly dead. Our rights are now subject to mob rule.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They should just repeal it at this point.

They pretty much did. If you're a Christian and run a bakery, you will make rainbow cupcakes. If you're Muslim and own a grocery store or restaurant, you will sell bacon, ham and pork chops. If you're a Catholic priest you will marry gay couples.

A win for individual liberty. We should be proud.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They pretty much did. If you're a Christian and run a bakery, you will make rainbow cupcakes. If you're Muslim and own a grocery store or restaurant, you will sell bacon, ham and pork chops. If you're a Catholic priest you will marry gay couples.

A win for individual liberty. We should be proud.
    All this bill did was stir the pot on an issue that had little support (LGBT rights). Now they've managed to whirl up so much support that they've turned in into a Juggernaut. I still don't think it is going to be as bad as you think.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I wish I'd said this.

Back when the first window opened up for a few days and gays were able to get married in Indiana I served as a combination best man/ring bearer (an office I last filled when I was seven years old) for two gay lady friends as they got married in the living room of their clergyman.

I am still deeply moved by the fact that they feel such affection for this old gun-toting flatfoot ultra-conservative neanderthal they they honored me in such a personal way.

I have no use for those who are so high-handed as to try to harm or interfere with people who are harming or interfering with no one.

You haters feel free to flame away. I have my asbestos skivvies on.

If the pizza shop were the ONLY pizza shop in the world, then you might have a point. How is the pizza shop harming or interfering with anyone in any kind of meaningful way?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If the pizza shop were the ONLY pizza shop in the world, then you might have a point. How is the pizza shop harming or interfering with anyone in any kind of meaningful way?
    They hypothetically harmed someones non-existent gay wedding.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Someone just told me something that is making me reconsider the "fix". I may be completely wrong about it. It is possible that the "fix" doesn't actually change anything of substance.

Here's the key part of the "fix":

This chapter does not:

(I) authorize a provider to refuse to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or United States military service;

(2) establish a defense to a civil action or criminal prosecution for refusal by a provider to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or United States military service; or

(3) negate any rights available under the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

Here's what's interesting to me, and currently make me re-think things:

"This chapter does not...establish a defense to a civil action or criminal prosecution for refusal by a provider to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or United States military service"

But what have I been pointing out all along? This law does not apply to or constrain persons, but rather government entities. So, in its original form, the law didn't "establish a defense" for "providers".

The question is, does this "fix" change the calculus?

1. Someone claims discrimination, and sues another
    2. Person being sued claims that the law under which he is being sued represents a substantial burden to his religious exercise
    3. Court determines if the substantial burden standard is met
    4. If so, the government entity then must justify the law on the basis of strict scrutiny

So: does invoking "substantial burden" under RFRA constitute "establishing a defense"?

Here's where my analysis fails be. IANAL, and all that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom