Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Over a $100k now.. hell, I might be willing to pass judgment for an opportunity to pay off my mortgage.

Selective reading comprehension?

The proprietor said that they serve everyone who walks in their door. They are passing judgment on no one.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

And the fact that you refer to my remarks as a "rant" makes my point perfectly.

​Thank you.

The fact that your admonishment of others had absolutely nothing to do with the law being discussed demonstrates that it was, in fact, a rant.

(The irony is that I would *act* exactly the same as you did, in the same situation.)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fair points.

If Pence wanted to make up his lost ground, he'd call a presser and say, "Folks, I'm going to treat this law like Obama treats immigration and drug laws. I just won't enforce the ****ing thing. Thanks for coming today..."

But nobody would have the balls to do that.

:laugh::rofl::lol2::thumbsup::bow::rockwoot: Good one!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Although almost of all the other business have gotten behind the changes, however, Angie's List has rejected the changes as not going far enough and have called off their expansion. At least there is one good thing to come out of this!

Angie's List rejects 'religious freedom' law fix, calls it 'insufficient'

FWIW, I think George Will said it all pretty well: "There are two important principles at stake here. One is the government should rarely, and only at extreme difficulty, compel people to take actions contrary to their consciences. The other is that when you open your doors to commerce you open them to everybody."

Will To Cook On 'Horrible' Indiana: You Do Biz In S. Arabia | The Daily Caller

And this is why "clarifying" the law is no solution. It makes them look even more stupid than they are currently perceived to be, and the leftists will still moan about it. Leftists don't accept apologies gracefully. They stand there, hands on hips and say, "See, I was RIGHT!" ****s.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, now that the legislators have added a "fix", the complaint is shifting from RFRA to Indiana's lack of inclusion of LGBT as a "protected class" in public accommodation laws.

Gosh, if only somebody had seen THAT one coming...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    :laugh::rofl::lol2::thumbsup::bow::rockwoot: Good one!

I mean, seriously. The GOP/right/conservatives have no sense of imagination when it comes to conflict or negotiation. ****ing most uninspiring group of people on Earth.

Can you imagine all the mouth breathers at home seeing that video on YouTube or reading about it on FB? They'd eat it up like WWE! That is how to defeat the left, play their game better than they do.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The fact that your admonishment of others had absolutely nothing to do with the law being discussed demonstrates that it was, in fact, a rant.

Actually, his rant was in context to the discussion of working at a gay wedding. We were using prior experiences to ask people to reconsider the applications of their beliefs and how their behavior (as per topics relative to the RFRA) and the law might affect others.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    MODERATOR NOTE:

Some of you are doing a fine job of keeping this discussion within our rules. Others are not. A reminder:

If you cannot discuss this topic without insulting each other, or each other's religions, or resorting to proselytizing you WILL be banned.

If this thread does not stay within our rules from this point on it will be closed.

No more warnings, act accordingly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nope. It only carves out an exemption for the religious. Creating a special class of people and protecting them from something they were already protected from by existing law. This doesn't cover every business owner. Just the religious.

Why is it that when we talk of liberty and freedom to live our life as we see fit, it only seems to apply to minority groups? Religion is an aspect of every life lived. Not subscribing to a belief system, be it Christianity, Judaism or any other, is a belief system in itself. Every one of us has a belief system, even if that belief system is to not believe. Religious freedom means being able to practice what ever belief structure that works for you, or practicing none. My understanding of this bill is that it allows the liberty to practice what you believe without the possibility of being sued because you don't conform to someone else's belief system.

To me, I see this much as I see the First Amendment. I may not agree with what someone else is saying, but I will fight for their right to say it. Everybody has the right to live their life as they see fit. That does not only apply to minorities. Every single person has the right to practice their belief system in their own way. It's ironic that the gay/lesbian community fights the idea that their life should be judged based on the common practices of the community at large, yet is willing to practice that very same misguided idea by judging businesses against the ideals of the same community.

People should have the freedom to live their life as they see fit without concern for being sued because they do not embrace someone else's life choices. Everybody has the right to live their own life as they see fit, but nobody should be forced to embrace the ideals of another if it does not fit into their belief system.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Fair points.

If Pence wanted to make up his lost ground, he'd call a presser and say, "Folks, I'm going to treat this law like Obama treats immigration and drug (mary jane) laws. I just won't enforce the ****ing things. Thanks for coming today..."

But nobody would have the balls to do that.

Or only enforce those parts he likes, or delay implementation of this or that part.

And get a phone and a pen.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No, I was kidding. You have a remarkably poor ability to detect sarcasm/humor. You must be a lot of fun to have around at parties...

Yeah, I see this tactic a lot. It's just another form of logical fallacy.

Yes, you were kidding about being willing to "pass judgment" if you could "cash in" on the result to get a large sum of money. NO, you were not kidding about implying that Memories Pizza a) engaged in passing judgment, and b) are "cashing in" on the result.

I don't go to many parties these days. Young kids aren't conducive to attending many parties. But in college, I usually worked security and designated driver duties, since I didn't care to drink, and didn't want to scare the poor sorority girls with my Sucky White Boy dance "skills".

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I was wondering how this was going to play out. Were those critics going to be ok with the changes, declare a victory. See blood in the water and go for more? Looking more like the latter...

This entire episode could have been avoided if not for pandering to a constituency that has no business being in politics to begin with. 200 years later the separation of church and state still hasn't resonated. Islam is the fastest growing religion on the planet. At the rate we are allowing our borders to be walked across, extending special offers of amnesty, etc.. how do you think this plays out in another 100 years if we have a large Muslim segment of our populace that wishes to impose it's will politically. Unfortunately, we are setting precedent by making laws regarding matters that a) weren't an issue to start and b) involving the government where it doesn't belong.

Preemptive laws to address an issue that doesn't exist. Is this addressing the issues that are most concerning the citizens of this state? I suspect that is not the case. The proponents and supporters are the ones being heard... the majority are standing on the sidelines shaking their head in silence.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I see this tactic a lot. It's just another form of logical fallacy.

Yes, you were kidding about being willing to "pass judgment" if you could "cash in" on the result to get a large sum of money. NO, you were not kidding about implying that Memories Pizza a) engaged in passing judgment, and b) are "cashing in" on the result.

I don't go to many parties these days. Young kids aren't conducive to attending many parties. But in college, I usually worked security and designated driver duties, since I didn't care to drink, and didn't want to scare the poor sorority girls with my Sucky White Boy dance "skills".

Whatever man, you don't know me. That post wasn't even directed toward you.

I assure you I wouldn't sell off my eternal soul for 100K. The said pizza maker is cashing in. I never stated he was wrong in what he did. If you went back through this thread my entire argument wasn't against a persons refusal to not take part in gay weddings, it was the notion this was going to be utilized for a much more broad scope of discrimination. Judging by the threads you can see there is that distinct possibility.

Yeah, as I said.. life of the party... much as I suspected.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom