Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm starting to think it's just a last ditch effort by the Indiana GOP to say something against same sex marriage becoming legal. It's obvious they are upset about it, heck that's all they complain about anymore.

We often like to speculate on all kinds of nefarious purposes for why people do things we don't like. Politicians are self concerned. If you don't want to accept the reason they gave, I'd start there.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We often like to speculate on all kinds of nefarious purposes for why people do things we don't like. Politicians are self concerned. If you don't want to accept the reason they gave, I'd start there.

I've always thought we'd all be surprised if we knew the extent to which legislators vote against their conscience, or probably more likely without considering their conscience.

They mostly are these days in the business of trading money for influence and the ironic thing is that I doubt many legislators worry about the sexual orientation of their donors (as long as it's all kept in secret).

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    For those without Facebook

Apparently the lack of this law is the only thing keeping Hoosiers from acting out their racist, sexist, bigoted true inner feelings. Now that it's here, our citizens will unleash their inner hate upon all. Or at least that's what you have to believe if you are to accept the naysayer positions.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    It's the same "What if?" game-o-fear played by people in favor of gun control:

"If someone has the ability to own a pistol/rifle/shotgun THEY WILL SHOOT SOMEONE because giving people the ability to do something means they will do so indiscriminately and with no self control or discretion...they just won't be able to help themselves! That's always the first thing the anti-gunners predict -- "There will be blood in the streets!" -- yet when thousands of people start carrying in Illinois, the reality is quite different.

The assumption by the hysterical -- dare I say immature? -- leftists in this case is that Indiana business owners will now be installing firehoses and training German Shepherds so they can recreate Selma in Broad Ripple as soon as the first homosexual walks into their shop.

It's like ****ing Jr. High the past 72 hours in this state!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I bet there will now be a push here to include homosexuals as a protected class. They currently are not and changing their status would "void" most of the law. If I was a betting man.

Not going to go anywhere in this Congress.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You are wrong. I don't like it, but love living in Indiana. Wouldn't live in Cali if you bought my house for me. Don't think the good folks actually think this is a good law. The good folks aren't the ones who enacted this law.

What, exactly, is wrong with or bad about the law in question?

As for your previous post: if anything, this law *prevents* waste of taxpayer money, but preventing municipal statutes and frivolous lawsuits that have no chance of succeeding.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Thank goodness for religion and tv! How else would I know who I am supposed to hate today? They take the guess work out of life.

And whom, exactly does "religion" (Christianity, specifically) say to "hate"?

(Spoiler: no one.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What, exactly, is wrong with or bad about the law in question?

As for your previous post: if anything, this law *prevents* waste of taxpayer money, but preventing municipal statutes and frivolous lawsuits that have no chance of succeeding.

It only protects business owners who don't want to serve social entities because of religious reasons. It does not protect everyone's right to choose associations for any reason.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    For those without Facebook

Apparently the lack of this law is the only thing keeping Hoosiers from acting out their racist, sexist, bigoted true inner feelings. Now that it's here, our citizens will unleash their inner hate upon all. Or at least that's what you have to believe if you are to accept the naysayer positions.

Businesses are scrambling to counter the bad publicity in whatever manner they can.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    All I can say is that I'm anxious to see how many business owners place a sign on their door expressing their support for this new law, and would hope that they have the honesty to list those "kinds of people" or "kinds of things" that their business chooses not to be involved with.

After all, if the majority of Hoosiers really do support the new law, such a sign would only serve to keep those very few from wasting the businesses time.

I'll bet a box of bullets that we will see many more signs expressing that all are welcome.

It seems to me that you have no understanding of the purpose of the law, or how it would apply. There are about 30 other States where state law or court decisions have led to exactly the same result. Is any of this ignorant, hyperbolic nonsense happening in those states?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's like ****ing Jr. High the past 72 hours in this state!

I like that analogy, but I see it more like the school board spending all their time worrying about who's taking who to the spring dance, instead of spending their time doing the important business of school administration.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think few would, because for the overwhelming majority of businesses, a customer's purchases (to buy a hammer, a car, patio furniture, etc.) doesn't require any emotional, spiritual or intellectual compromise. For example:

"I sell hardware and a guy/gal/other is here to buy a ratchet set, so I sell it to them. I sell tools to people."

"I make wedding cakes but I don't believe that is 'really' a wedding (based on my religion) so I don't want to cross that line...please move along."

And selling hardware involves no personal, artistic creativity - something that religious people tend to view as being done in order to glorify God, and therefore have an emotional and spiritual investment in the end product. Being forced to invest (by being forced by the State to make a custom wedding cake) such a personally emotional and spiritual undertaking in something that the person believes to be contrary to his or her religious beliefs is absolutely a violation of conscience.

It has nothing to do with discriminating against or hating a person for being gay. It has nothing to do with not wanting to do business with a person for being gay. In fact, such a stance is contrary to biblical teachings.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom