GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Scalia's friendship with Keagan notwithstanding, I'd still like some independent confirmation of the conversation. It's not like Axlerod hasn't bent the truth to suit his purposes before.

FWIW, during the lead up to the debate the other night and with all of the discussion surrounding Scalia's passing, it was reported that (pretty much what was said in the article) that Scalia viewed Kagan as an intellectual...no so much someone that shared his views but someone that he believed to be quite intelligent. Which, in view of who was doing the nominating, that might be about all you could ask for.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Obama will more than likely have someone on the bench before his term is up. The longest it has ever taken to fill a seat was about 120 days, he's got 11 months.
    This is somewhat misleading. The 120 days starts when the nomination is made. In my experience, there is a huge buildup to that, where the nominee is basically vetted and trial balloons popped.

That said, I have no doubt there will be a nomination before the election, and it will be a gruesome and uncomfortable political sideshow.

Credit to Jebrah for pointing out that all of the Republican candidates should favor a strong executive.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Obama will more than likely have someone on the bench before his term is up. The longest it has ever taken to fill a seat was about 120 days, he's got 11 months.

Longest vacancy on the Supreme Court was 27 months.
    Longest vacancy since SCOTUS comprised of nine judges has been 391 days (1969).

Let's not forget where "Chuck YOU" Schumer stood on behalf of the Democrat Party when the shoe was on the other foot in 2007:
    Video: Schumer insists that lame-duck president should not get Supreme Court pick « Hot Air

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That is one of multiple reasons why I expect Holder to be nominated. Obama won't be able to pass on an opportunity to allow the GOP to fail again and destroy themselves, leaving years before a new group forms and becomes a viable opposition party.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If people want to know what would prompt the end of the Republican Party it would be a Republican led senate confirming Holder as a SCOTUS appointee.

Oh I don't think it would even take that much. Allowing their personal desire to get re-elected (one of my home state senators, Rob Portman is thought a likely example of this) or their party's desire to hold the senate (we're talkin' 'bout you, Mitch) to influence the GOP to cave for ANY Obamanamanee will almost certainly be the end of them

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Oh I don't think it would even take that much. Allowing their personal desire to get re-elected (one of my home state senators, Rob Portman is thought a likely example of this) or their party's desire to hold the senate (we're talkin' 'bout you, Mitch) to influence the GOP to cave for ANY Obamanamanee will almost certainly be the end of them

We're already seeing the end of them with this primary.

They consigned themselves to a dark fate when they took congressional majority and failed to do anything with it, considering the only reason they got a majority was in protest.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    If people want to know what would prompt the end of the Republican Party it would be a Republican led senate confirming Holder as a SCOTUS appointee.
    The GOP on the national level is already on life support and a few candidates are jiggling the plug. There are too many factions to coalesce to stand behind the eventual nominee. Dem's will get behind whoever there nominee is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trump trying to squirm out of his 9/11 truther nonsense.

Trump: Ok, I lied when I said Bush lied. | RedState

It's okay. Every other brash or "unpresidential" thing that Trump has said as a candidate is okay. There's a reason that Trump can say whatever he wants and his supporters don't hold him accountable. I almost wish that I could drink the same koolaid because then I wouldn't care either. As someone else said, I just hope I don't have to vote for Trump.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Trump trying to squirm out of his 9/11 truther nonsense.

Trump: Ok, I lied when I said Bush lied. | RedState

Well, there weren't any weapons of mass destruction. Trump said "They lied."

I guess if the definition of lie can include intelligence being fumbling and misconstrued.

As for Bush, whether he knew better or not is anyone's guess, I don't personally think he's as stupid as people try to make him out to be. So saying "I don't know if he lied or not" isn't too far out of left field. I'm still waiting to see this actionable intelligence that showed Iraq presented a clear and present threat to our nation, and I have a feeling I'll be a pile of bones before I get it.

I get it that you're very salty about Trump being in this race, but constantly shouting it from roof tops is getting comical, especially when you keep citing opinion pieces that only feed your views by twisting reality to the point it finally reflects those opinions.

The Iraq war is not 9/11 truther nonsense.

As for Webb, sure I'd vote for him in a heart beat over the vast majority of past or present options.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom