Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Have you read his healthcare proposals?

His plan should be called FreedomCare, not TrumpCare.
    His proposed plan is all about freedom, and freemarket.
    Free market would imply that the government would not be involved at all. I am guessing that is not your definition.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Have you read his healthcare proposals?

His plan should be called FreedomCare, not TrumpCare.
    His proposed plan is all about freedom, and freemarket.

He stated he supported the individual mandate a few months ago. He stated he supported nationalized Health care a few years ago, and now he has a health plan that states differently? You believe he will stick to the later After all his flipflopping, gotcha.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    He stated he supported the individual mandate a few months ago. He stated he supported nationalized Health care a few years ago, and now he has a health plan that states differently? You believe he will stick to the later After all his flipflopping, gotcha.
    He has stated clearly that he would cut NO entitlement program...

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Emphasizing Health Savings Accounts, allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines, making insurance premiums tax deductible, and upfront transparent healthcare pricing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    INGO Republicans, what does it mean to you that for 3 primaries in a row, the "real conservative" didn't win?

Are you asking me: the guy who voted for Alan Keyes in the first two primaries in which I was eligible to vote?

If so, I have to ask in response: what "real conservative" have we had as a viable option?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Trump has no record. Hillary does. There is no doubt that she will nominate a liberal anti-gun SCOTUS justice. I have no idea what Trump would do. At this point it's better to vote for the unknown than for the sure thing. At this point the unknown is the the better potential outcome than the known. However small the odds, at least the odds are non-zero that Trump could nominate a pro gun justice.

For purposes of this post, I will concede the gun rights argument to your line of reasoning. While gun rights is a very important issue to me, it is not my litmus test. (Although, I remain unconvinced of Trump's future protection of gun rights - like you say, we just don't know. Also, I *know* HRC will not be able to pass any gun control, so at a certain level, the point is moot.)

Based on the information available to me, Trump is far more dangerous to the structure of our government. A populist/nationalist in a democracy is riskier than a bureaucrat - especially a narcissistic, bully populist with a mandate. In those terms, Sanders is close to Trump in that spectrum and HRC is the least dangerous. As I've said before, with HRC, the battle lines will be familiar, as will the results.

Lest that last comment be misunderstood, it is not an endorsement of HRC. It is an indictment of all the candidates.

Oh, I forgot Kasich is still in. (Hey, its easy to do.) He'd be the least dangerous. But, he's also crossed the line into Quixotic by staying in.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

In February, 2016:

Donald Trump was asked on Thursday night by CNN's Anderson Cooper, "If…there's no mandate for everybody to have insurance, what's to—why would an insurance company not have a preexisting—insure somebody with a preexisting condition?" Trump replied, "Well, I like the mandate. Okay, so here's where I'm a little bit different. I don't want people dying on the streets. And I say this all the time."

Well, that's certainly "a little bit different"—in fact, it's hard to get a lot more "different" than to run for president as a Republican and support the hated cornerstone of President Obama's signature legislation.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Donald Trump’s contempt for the free market

I could go on. He's actually been quite outspoken against a free market.

Yeah, very objective.

From the article
    "Perhaps, cowed by Trump, Ford would keep its old plant in Michigan. But it would darn sure think twice about building the next one there, knowing that ultimate control belonged to the Trump regime. Come to think of it, the safest bet for Ford, and others, would be to build all plants in Mexico — or pretty much any other country thatappreciates free enterprise."

I agree Mexico is a huge champion of free enterprise, only surpassed by the communist Chinese.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Which Trump should I believe, the words that come out of his mouth or the plans on his website written by other people?

Politico used a good line that I'd not seen before, but explains Trump's ability to connect with the electorate. As a candidate, he seems to say, "What I believe on Monday, I believe on Wednesday, no matter what I said on Tuesday."

[ETA
    I guess that's a Colbert line. Shoulda guessed - he's very witty.]

People think they know what he believes - that he'll make America great again - regardless of what he says. It gives him significant leeway to say whatever comes to mind.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Are these:

Support of AWB?

Where is that enumerated in Trump's proposals?

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/second-amendment-rights

I see: enforce existing laws, deal with mental health system, end gun/magazine bans (whoops: that includes the meat of the 1994 AWB), fix-not-expand the BGC system, national right-to-carry, and allow military members to carry on bases/in recruitment centers.

Replacing ObamaCare with TrumpCare?

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/healthcare-reform

I see: Repeal ObamaCare completely, open up insurance sales across state lines, fully tax-deductible insurance premiums, expanded HSAs, transparency in service pricing, Medicaid block-grants to States, and in increase in imported drugs. Nothing about "TrumpCare".

10% Wealth tax?

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/tax-reform

I see: simplified tax code, with fewer brackets and lower taxes for each bracket, lower/fixed corporate tax rate, eliminating the death tax, SMB tax relief, phasing out loopholes for the super-rich (such as carried interest), a one-time deemed repatriation of corporate overseas cash at 10% (to encourage domestic investment), eliminating other corporate loopholes.

Support of planned parenthood?

Continuing to make this statement, devoid of context, knowing that what it implies is contrary to what Trump has said, is intellectually dishonest. Trump has clearly stated that he opposes abortion, and opposes funding of PP for abortion, but that he supports PP for their non-abortion services. Now, Trump very well may be wrong in that position and naive regarding separation of abortion and non-abortion-related funding for PP, but it is patently untrue to imply that Trump supports abortion by stating that he "supports Planned Parenthood."

I will also note that you do not find anything related to abortion (or other purely social issues) enumerated in Trump's platform:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

That's because Trump is focused primarily on the financial dire straits in which our country finds itself. I am 100% okay with that, and absolutely what I want in the Federal Executive.

Social issues do not belong at the federal level to begin with.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Which Trump should I believe, the words that come out of his mouth or the plans on his website written by other people?
    Speaking off the cuff, by the seat of your pants, and without softball questions from the media, or advanced screening of those questions, mistakes will happen; he quickly debunked his support of the individual insurance mandate.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Where is that enumerated in Trump's proposals?.

Going to have to explain this new strategy, Chip. We're long past you pretending to not be a Trump guy...

Do his words not have meaning anymore? Is his website the only thing that matters when it comes to scrutinizing what he says on policy-related questioning?

If you're doing this just for argument purposes on INGO... okay. But people here are allowed to criticize the man based on the things he says on policy. When he says he's pro-choice, or against free market, or doesn't like the idea of guns... those things matter just as much as whatever is on his website.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Politico used a good line that I'd not seen before, but explains Trump's ability to connect with the electorate. As a candidate, he seems to say, "What I believe on Monday, I believe on Wednesday, no matter what I said on Tuesday."

[ETA
    I guess that's a Colbert line. Shoulda guessed - he's very witty.]

People think they know what he believes - that he'll make America great again - regardless of what he says. It gives him significant leeway to say whatever comes to mind.

He reminds me of Obama 2008. No matter what was said or done, the voters made him into what they wanted him to be, and I think that is what is going on with Trump. I just didn't think the Republican voters were ignorant as the Den voters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom