Party primaries are not ‘public decisions,’ rules expert says

5H5aXAJ.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "No other candidate has ever run for president so unprepared."

I think that's a difficult position to refute.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Its hard to win when it's rigged against you to begin with. These party leaders have been vehemently anti-Trump since the beginning.

Rep. Kinzinger to Trump ? If System was Rigged, You Wouldn?t Be Winning | The Resurgent

I stated what I meant. Notice the questions after. And while it is true that those states haven't split it's electors, they are in fact not winner take all states. So no the Electoral college is not winner take all universally, it depends on the state. So what you said remains false.

And which 1 million voters? Considering as of Jan 1st 2016 there were a total of about 1 million registered repubs in the state. All of them disagree?

How does cancelling a non-binding straw poll silence them? They still voted for the delegate of their choice, the delegates were selected the same as they have been for the last 2 (now 3 counting this year) election cycles. They have had primaries for 3 total election cycles in their history, they have had caucuses for the rest. Cancelling the straw poll had absolutely nothing to do with Trump or "silencing" the voters, it had to due to a rule change by the national GOP. Cancelling the straw poll had nothing to do with the delegate selection process. The only effect of it was to keep the delegates unbound same as they have always been. And considering that there have been attempts to change it from a caucus back to a primary and they have failed, I'd say yes people do support the process.

ETA And what specific chicanery are you referring to? I know of one thing that could possibly be considered as such, on the ballot a number was repeated, it went iirc 599,599,691. A typo. And I'm going to guess that if a person would have marked the circle that was supposed to be 600, the scanning machines would have counted it as 600. Or are you referring to the guy that claims he was removed from the state convention?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Oh, he's definitely a New Yorker. More so than Hillary. More so than Ted Cruz is an American.

From the article:

Negative opinion from a Bernie Sanders supporter.
    Negative opinion from someone who thinks a ban on Muslim immigration is "racist." (Hint - Islam is not a race)
    Gushing about the enthusiasm and "energizing" nature of the Obama campaign.

You're in good company, GPIA7R.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It won't be interesting. The parties won't overthrow the will of the people. They know that if they nominate someone else when the people have made their input so undeniably clear by voting in mass for a candidate, it will be the end of the party.

Trump just pretty much sealed the deal with the curb stomping he put on Cruz and Kasich in NY.

An interesting convention lies ahead.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    It won't be interesting. The parties won't overthrow the will of the people. They know that if they nominate someone else when the people have made their input so undeniably clear by voting in mass for a candidate, it will be the end of the party.

Trump just pretty much sealed the deal with the curb stomping he put on Cruz and Kasich in NY.

While I'm not a huge Trump fan. I hope you're right, I'd rather vote for Trump than see him go Independant, almost guaranteeing a Hillary win. Best bumper stick I've seen (book of faces or maybe INGO): 2016, We're Screwed

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I agree. My avatar sums up my feeling towards Trump fairly well. I don't like him. But if he's who the Republican primary voters select (and they're selecting him by a HUGE margin of victory), the Republican party needs to honor their voice.

I fully understand that the parties aren't part of the .gov. They can nominate whoever they want, and don't even have to ask their constituents their opinion on the matter. But to ask constituent opinion and then to not move forward with the voting populace's will would be a bad decision.

If the Republicans don't allow the will of the people to get the nomination, it'll be the end of the Republican party. Same goes for the Democrat party should Sanders win the majority of pledged delegates. We've only got 2 parties that have an actual shot at winning a presidential election at this point. If they don't allow people to select the only two nominees and the nominees are essentially forced on us by the political elite, something WILL change.

People are getting smarter in this new age of readily available knowledge. And they aren't going to stand for being bullied and lied to by the political elite anymore. We're seeing that in this election for the first time ever.

While I'm not a huge Trump fan. I hope you're right, I'd rather vote for Trump than see him go Independant, almost guaranteeing a Hillary win. Best bumper stick I've seen (book of faces or maybe INGO): 2016, We're Screwed

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So Trump won NY...not like in the general it's going for anyone but the Dem. It isn't over yet. If Trump does run as an independent he'd probably pull as many or more votes from the Dem from the perpetually undecided voter pool.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If I could be sure we wouldn't end up with the witch, I wouldn't mind seeing both parties implode and splinter. The best outcome in my mind would be third and fourth party runs by Trump and Bernie if it would give us four viable parties next time around

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom