• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Trump's campaign, contradicting Trump, seems to concede that the courts aren't the right venue for delegate disputes
    LMAO at your new sig line. :D

In other news, I suspect the lawyers are explaining how Louisiana state laws are funky because of the basis in French civil law. It might not mean anything in this context, but it is fun to throw into conversations with clients. :D

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

In other news, I suspect the lawyers are explaining how Louisiana state laws are funky because of the basis in French civil law. It might not mean anything in this context, but it is fun to throw into conversations with clients. :D

I'm reading that Trump would still require 1237 to win, even if the LA delegates are decertified... he would be nixing 18 of his own delegates in the process.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

I'm reading that Trump would still require 1237 to win, even if the LA delegates are decertified... he would be losing 18 of his own delegates in the process.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/714573707398656000

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm reading that Trump would still require 1237 to win, even if the LA delegates are decertified... he would be nixing 18 of his own delegates in the process.

Well, as noted elsewhere, there is some question as to whether he really wanted to achieve this when he started. Maybe he figured the only person capable of stopping him was himself.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Good article on the Trump v. Louisiana issue.
    Inside Donald Trump's bizarre Louisiana delegate fight - CBS News
    Apparently, his staff and/or his delegates didn't understand the importance of the meeting.

However, Jason Dore, the chairman of the Louisiana Republican party, said that there meeting wasn't secret and that, in fact, both of Trump's state chairmen were in the room and present for the meeting.
    Bennett later conceded to CBS News' Major Garrett that there was a campaign official in attendance at the meeting - but only because Bennett got wind of it and that the party did not go through the proper channels to notify prospective delegates, therefore giving the challenge merit. Bennett said the campaign would contest the delegate allocation process with the Republican National Committee.
    The second issue is the number of delegates that each candidate is awarded, which is based on their vote totals and distributed proportionally. Even though Trump won more votes in the state, both Cruz and Trump were awarded 18 delegates in the wake of the primary because the race was close. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio won five delegates, but because his campaign was suspended, those five delegates become, in essence, free agents, who support whomever they choose. As of right now, there is no indication as to which way these delegates will go.
    The key point: Those delegates have not been allocated yet. But that hasn't stopped Trump from claiming that Cruz is trying to "steal" delegates.

And this gem:
    Trump then seemed to forget that he used the word "steal" during a Monday radio interview with WTAQ radio in Wisconsin. When radio host Jerry Bader, a Cruz supporter, confronted him on the claim, Trump said multiple times that he wasn't using the word "stealing."
    "I'm not saying stealing, Jerry," Trump said. "I'm saying this: I won the state of Louisiana. I won it. Okay?"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Good article on the Trump v. Louisiana issue.
    Inside Donald Trump's bizarre Louisiana delegate fight - CBS News
    Apparently, his staff and/or his delegates didn't understand the importance of the meeting.

And this gem:

Trump thinks that if he wins a state, he should at least have a higher portion of delegates than the guy he beats. Silly man. And if this were a popular election, he'd be right. It's a Republican primary where Republicans get to set up rules that kinda sorta give people some say on who gets nominated, but also allows them to sort of check what the people want in case the people are you know, ****ing crazy. It's not like Republicans are trying to represent the people.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If he had been a Republican for any length of time, he might remember some of the past controversies and at least have a small clue about these things.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Trump thinks that if he wins a state, he should at least have a higher portion of delegates than the guy he beats. Silly man. And if this were a popular election, he'd be right. It's a Republican primary where Republicans get to set up rules that kinda sorta give people some say on who gets nominated, but also allows them to sort of check what the people want in case the people are you know, ****ing crazy. It's not like Republicans are trying to represent the people.

The same thing has happened, repeatedly, to Bernie Sanders against Hillary Clinton, thanks to Dem primary rules regarding superdelegates.

Both Bernie and Trump have a *point*; what they don't have is any legal recourse to change the rules.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is becoming more clear that Trump is (somewhat ironically) resorting to a journalist trick-of-the-trade in only reporting what someone else reported. (Except, at least some of the time, he can't say where he originally heard it.)

Trump Tells Wisconsin Host: No Apology to Heidi Cruz ? Didn't Know It Was a Bad Picture

Trump, though, said it was a "retweet by somebody else" and that he "didn't even necessarily know it was a bad picture" of Cruz's wife, and refused to accept Cruz's contention that he was not behind the nude photo advertisement featuring his rival's wife.
    He also blamed Time Magazine for his criticisms of Gov. Scott Walker's reforms in Wisconsin, telling Sykes that he had just repeated what the magazine had written, in March 2011, when he told Fox New's Bill O'Reilly that Walker was "too unyielding" in his dealings with the state's unions.

Which is even more ironic when uses "Lyin' Ted" because Cruz did actually repeat something that had been reported.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Scott Walker has endorsed Cruz.

Walker: "It's time to elect a strong new leader, and I've chosen to support Ted Cruz... I believe he's a constitutional conservative. Ted Cruz is best positioned by far to win the Republican nomination and then go on to beat Hillary Clinton in the Fall"

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

It seems to completely miss the fact that the candidate who has the most popular support would get the most votes out of any other person in their party.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Scott Walker has endorsed Cruz.

Scott Walker was (and is) my first choice.

Unlike Cruz supporters, I can accept that he and I see things differently. I won't be putting Walker on a fascist "blacklist" because he disagrees with me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cruz/Walker. Might step back my Gary Johnson vote for that one.

Scott Walker was (and is) my first choice.

Unlike Cruz supporters, I can accept that he and I see things differently. I won't be putting Walker on a fascist "blacklist" because he disagrees with me.

Kinda wish it was the other way around, but... we have what we have.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Cruz/Walker. Might step back my Gary Johnson vote for that one.

I'm pretty sure you can find it right here in this very thread: a year ago, I was salivating over a Walker/Cruz ticket.

The only way Cruz/Walker would be possible is if Cruz wins the nomination outright. Neither he nor Trump will be nominated in a contested convention.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    More evidence that GOPe hyperventilating over Trump is eerily reminiscent of Establishment hyperventilating over Reagan:

Screenshot-2016-03-26-at-03.08.57-PM-down.gif

More evidence that Establishment-shill punditry about Trump is eerily similar to Establishment-shill punditry about Reagan:

Screenshot-2016-03-26-at-02.56.25-PM-down.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom