• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is normal because I read on INGO that gas powered vehicles burn up all the time.

Cybertruck inferno challenges DPS to identify victim, determine Tesla owner​

What exactly is your point? One truck on fire means what exactly? Do you think that no one has ever been burned in an ICE car fire that officials had a hard time identifying the body?

Reactions: oze

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    What exactly is your point? One truck on fire means what exactly? Do you think that no one has ever been burned in an ICE car fire that officials had a hard time identifying the body?
    Your response is exactly the point. Thanks for playing along. :D

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Huh? You do nothing but post nonsense, and then flat out admit you are trolling. Pretty sad.
    It's a troll to you only. How do you stop thinking about you EV burning at any moment? Surely you don't keep it in an attached garage. I guess to some the "cool factor" is worth it. :D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Your response is exactly the point. Thanks for playing along. :D

What's true? What's not? I was fixin' ta go off on on the frequency of EV fires. Honestly I thought they were more common than IC fires. So after reading a few sources on the data, this post is different from what it would have been. Here's one of the sources. But they all basically said the same thing. Not a lot of data yet, except for some countries who are tracking these kinds of things.

It doesn't look to me like the odds of an EV catching fire is more likely than an IC vehicle catching fire. The way they shook down the available data, making an exact comparison is dubious, but it's safe enough to say it's not any more likely an EV will catch fire vs IC.

Something else that is true. You can put out a fire in an IC vehicle without having to have expensive special equipment. Not true of an EV. You have to have a special blanket to put out a battery fire that costs hella dollars. So, probably a lot more rare to have your EV catch fire than your IC. But if you have a fire, you're way more ****ed. So it's a trade off, and because of the rarity, it probably shouldn't contribute a lot to the decision.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    What's true? What's not? I was fixin' ta go off on on the frequency of EV fires. Honestly I thought they were more common than IC fires. So after reading a few sources on the data, this post is different from what it would have been. Here's one of the sources. But they all basically said the same thing. Not a lot of data yet, except for some countries who are tracking these kinds of things.

It doesn't look to me like the odds of an EV catching fire is more likely than an IC vehicle catching fire. The way they shook down the available data, making an exact comparison is dubious, but it's safe enough to say it's not any more likely an EV will catch fire vs IC.

Something else that is true. You can put out a fire in an IC vehicle without having to have expensive special equipment. Not true of an EV. You have to have a special blanket to put out a battery fire that costs hella dollars. So, probably a lot more rare to have your EV catch fire than your IC. But if you have a fire, you're way more ****ed. So it's a trade off, and because of the rarity, it probably shouldn't contribute a lot to the decision.

Your article is from Edmonds and is sponsored by auto makers and
    © Edmunds.com, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of CarMax, Inc. By using edmunds.com, you consent to the monitoring and storing of your interactions with the website, including by an Edmunds vendor, for use in improving and personalizing our services.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's true? What's not? I was fixin' ta go off on on the frequency of EV fires. Honestly I thought they were more common than IC fires.

Summary: I'm concerned about where the fire starts and how quickly it spreads. A fire in the engine compartment that gives occupants time to escape vs one rapidly spreading in the passenger compartment.

Longer version:

I think the Edmunds article is pretty well balanced but misses one thing that may be relevant. Fatalities resulting from said fires. Vehicles burn to the ground, but it's often *not* due to the fuel source. Kias had an issue where brake fluid leaked into electrical components starting the fire, for example. Some ICE vehicles have had "park outside" recalls due to heater grid issues or other potential electrical shorts, so that's not unique to EVs and if it's outside not likely to result in fatality.

Fires from crashes (vs park outside issues) remain very rare, but they do happen. My concern is most ICE vehicle fires start in the engine compartment and take a decent amount of time to spread to the interior of the vehicle. You have time to get out or to be gotten out. While I've never personally been involved in it, I'm aware of many instances on our department were officers got someone out of a burning car prior to them being seriously injured. I have personally been involved in vehicle fires, but everyone got out on their own prior to it getting in to the passenger compartment. I have personally been involved in dead bodies in car fires. The really badly burned ones were predominately the result of arson where the fire started in the passenger compartment.

EV fires start in the battery, though, and that seems to generally be under the passenger compartment. Passenger compartments burn scary fast, like an old mattress sort of fast (which is also scary and why old drunk smokers sometimes crispy themselves). They also burn hot AF and fast. Even with a quick response, can you get close enough in time to extract someone entrapped?

I have suspicions, but no firm answers. Until fatality rates are compared, the rest is largely just a matter of insurance costs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting info about battery fires and the batteries being under the passengers. Modern tank design keeps the ammo away from the passengers where the Russian T-72 had the crew sitting on it.

Not sure where else they can put the batteries, but that battery fire video looks scary fast and very hot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting info about battery fires and the batteries being under the passengers. Modern tank design keeps the ammo away from the passengers where the Russian T-72 had the crew sitting on it.

Not sure where else they can put the batteries, but that battery fire video looks scary fast and very hot.

There is mitigation in place, insulation and encasement and what have you, but heat rises and as hot as those fires burn it remains a concern in my mind. It would seem to be a concern as cars age as well, what mitigates well when brand new may be less effective as it degrades with time.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The Government EV car scam has reached new heights! Remember that Bidiot and the other Democrap moron Newsom in Commiefornia have been pushing EVs as the salvation for ICE pollution? And that other Democrap states have drank their Kool-Aid on EVs? :40oz:

Well, now these same states are whining that their gas tax revenues have fallen off and these idiot scam politicians are desperate. :(

Little noticed news reports now reveal that Pennsylvania is leading the charge to impose an “EV use tax” of $200-$250/yr on each registered EV in PA to close the shortfall !!! Commiefornia evidently is not too far behind on this scam. :nono:

All brought to you by the bottom feeders of the Democrap Party across the United States! And the ignorant sheeples that continue to vote for these corrupt politicians!!! :flamethrower:

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Government EV car scam has reached new heights! Remember that Bidiot and the other Democrap moron Newsom in Commiefornia have been pushing EVs as the salvation for ICE pollution? And that other Democrap states have drank their Kool-Aid on EVs? :40oz:

Well, now these same states are whining that their gas tax revenues have fallen off and these idiot scam politicians are desperate. :(

Little noticed news reports now reveal that Pennsylvania is leading the charge to impose an “EV use tax” of $200-$250/yr on each registered EV in PA to close the shortfall !!! Commiefornia evidently is not too far behind on this scam. :nono:

All brought to you by the bottom feeders of the Democrap Party across the United States! And the ignorant sheeples that continue to vote for these corrupt politicians!!! :flamethrower:
    First off I believe that EV’s should pay for road use taxes and support the EV tax. You don’t? Indiana passed just that tax last year. I also believe ICE should pay for their road use and gas taxes are an appropriate way of getting that money, but EV’s must have their portion collected differently.

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

This sounds right. But wtf are you doing, trying to confuse the issue with facts?

Top Bottom