• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure that is current information?

Migrant worker wages
    Annually, the average income of crop workers is between $10,000 to $12,499 for individuals and $15,000 to $17,499 for a family. To give you an idea, the federal poverty line is $10,830 for an individual or $22,050 for a family of four (in 2009).
    Low Wages - : National Farm Worker Ministry

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    [snip]
    Expand the e-verify system, add heavy financial liabilities, and criminal penalties for knowingly hiring an ineligible worker and the reasons for hiring illegal immigrants starts to evaporate.

This Quite some time ago I advocated this in another thread; $10000 per occurrence for an individual hiring a day laborer and $1000000 per for a corporation hiring the undocumented, allow no wiggle room about intent and keep metadata on who called e-verify and when

That such a program might drive individuals and corporations into financial ruin would be a feature and not a bug. Collected fines go into the enforcement budget after adjudication ends

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    This Quite some time ago I advocated this in another thread; $10000 per occurrence for an individual hiring a day laborer and $1000000 per for a corporation hiring the undocumented, allow no wiggle room about intent and keep metadata on who called e-verify and when

That such a program might drive individuals and corporations into financial ruin would be a feature and not a bug. Collected fines go into the enforcement budget after adjudication ends
    Yup. All fines levied against companies go directly back into funding USCIS.

The biggest challenge though is for companies as they are legal persons, so jailing someone for knowingly hiring an ineligible immigrant would be difficult. So perhaps instead their fines should be increased, their directors held liable and prohibited from similar positions for a period of time, or the fines should be levied as a % of revenue generated (rather than profits, which could be moved offshore or calculated down).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The "wall" or fence, or whatever isn't what I mean. When I say "open borders" vs "closed borders"I'm talking about a philosophical difference between whether we should have laws governing if or how we should determine who is allowed here legally. The open borders crowd seems to think that it is immoral to disallow anyone, that there should be no such thing as an illegal residency status. So, given whatever arguments one makes on either side of that, criminal tendencies are a relevant part of that.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I probably shade more towards open than closed, but I am far from a full on open borders proponent.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    KQED (local): New ICE Directive Formalizes Policy of Making Courthouse Arrests
    https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2018/01/3...rmalizes-policy-of-making-courthouse-arrests/

Homan, ICE’s acting director, has said metal detectors at courthouse entrances provide added safety for officers seeking to make arrests there.

“We’re not going to do it in the courtroom but to me it’s safer,” Homan said in an interview in November. “It makes sense to arrest a criminal in a criminal courthouse.

Keep in mind that California's sanctuary law protects CRIMINALS being released from California jails and prisons. #ResistThatSh*t

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Police have confirmed that the driver who is held in the death of Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and Uber driver Jeffrey Monroe was...
    ...an undocumented immigrant who used a fake name and has been deported twice in the past.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...-immigrant-has-been-deported-twice/306779002/

636534227697166516-45hw5hw45.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "If it saves just one life, shouldn't we deport them all" (and build a really big wall to deter recidivism)

Trump stole his hope so he turned to alcohol

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I've always figured it would be more effective to put executives of the guilty company in prison and have them picking up trash on a chain gang every day. Something to get past the idea that fines are just a cost of doing business. Have someone film it and make a television program about it so their friends at the country club can see them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    "If it saves just one life, shouldn't we deport them all" (and build a really big wall to deter recidivism)

Trump stole his hope so he turned to alcohol

After he's had his trial, if found guilty, hang him at the border.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

"U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis in New York ruled Tuesday that Attorney General Jeff Sessions had "erred in concluding that DACA is unconstitutional" and granted a preliminary injunction sought by state attorneys general and immigrants who had sued the administration."

DACA was an executive order. Undoing an executive order is the prerogative of the President. The only honest case they have against it is they disagree with ending it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    "U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis in New York ruled Tuesday that Attorney General Jeff Sessions had "erred in concluding that DACA is unconstitutional" and granted a preliminary injunction sought by state attorneys general and immigrants who had sued the administration."

DACA was an executive order. Undoing an executive order is the prerogative of the President. The only honest case they have against it is they disagree with ending it.

"...a nation of judges, not laws.."

Top Bottom