• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    On MD allowing illegals to vote: If they allow that any results should be considered 'advisory' and not allowed to count against actual election results.

Or maybe every conservative in the country should road trip there for the local elections.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    On MD allowing illegals to vote: If they allow that any results should be considered 'advisory' and not allowed to count against actual election results.

Or maybe every conservative in the country should road trip there for the local elections.
    It is only for Mayor and City Council.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hear so much about the price of food going up if we block illegal immigration.

what happened to the price of cotton when the slaves were liberated? Did people walk around naked?

Not quite the same. Technology mostly overcame that then. Here, if suddenly everyone who hires illegal workers had to pay wheat legal workers make because employers couldn't pay under-the-table wages anymore, the cost of labor would go up.

Anymore you just don't see many construction crews which aren't all comprising migrant workers, probably illegal. I think the reason to avoid fixing immigration isn't an economic reason, it's a moral reason. Democrats want open borders so they can import more democrats. Chamber-o-commerce type Republicans want cheep labor. So nothing gets done to fix it.

For local elections? I ain't visiting Commutopia just to elect a sensible mayor for them.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Not quite the same. Technology mostly overcame that then. Here, if suddenly everyone who hires illegal workers had to pay wheat legal workers make because employers couldn't pay under-the-table wages anymore, the cost of labor would go up.

Anymore you just don't see many construction crews which aren't all comprising migrant workers, probably illegal. I think the reason to avoid fixing immigration isn't an economic reason, it's a moral reason. Democrats want open borders so they can import more democrats. Chamber-o-commerce type Republicans want cheep labor. So nothing gets done to fix it.

I used to live in an area that heavily used "migrant" farm workers... right before harvest time, horse trailers PACKED WITH HUMAN BEINGS would arrive. The similarity to the packed slave ships from the worst part of our history was just too much!

I used to love watermelon... it doesn't taste very good to me anymore. Point being, those farmers who used illegals to harvest their fields were almost exclusively Democrats, judging from the signs they put out, and the local offices they ran for. I'm guessing, depending upon the location, the exploitation is equally D and R.

It wouldn't take many black SUVs with ICE in big letters on the side visiting the watermelon fields at the right time to solve a lot of this nonsense. Ditto other fruit and vegetable harvests. An ICE task force following the same harvest migration route could change a lot in a very few harvest seasons.

Ditto construction sites... it's no mystery where the latest subdivision or commercial construction projects are occurring. Ditto meat processing plants... ditto, etc, ditto, etc.

And, it's not like you have to arrest and deport all of the illegals. ICE showing up means they won't, which means a harvest rotting in the fields and construction sites with no activity. And the farmers and construction companies cannot run and hide when faced with fines and court dates. It won't take long for the farm and construction "employers" to find legal employees.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I used to live in an area that heavily used "migrant" farm workers... right before harvest time, horse trailers PACKED WITH HUMAN BEINGS would arrive. The similarity to the packed slave ships from the worst part of our history was just too much!

I used to love watermelon... it doesn't taste very good to me anymore. Point being, those farmers who used illegals to harvest their fields were almost exclusively Democrats, judging from the signs they put out, and the local offices they ran for. I'm guessing, depending upon the location, the exploitation is equally D and R.

It wouldn't take many black SUVs with ICE in big letters on the side visiting the watermelon fields at the right time to solve a lot of this nonsense. Ditto other fruit and vegetable harvests. An ICE task force following the same harvest migration route could change a lot in a very few harvest seasons.

Ditto construction sites... it's no mystery where the latest subdivision or commercial construction projects are occurring. Ditto meat processing plants... ditto, etc, ditto, etc.

And, it's not like you have to arrest and deport all of the illegals. ICE showing up means they won't, which means a harvest rotting in the fields and construction sites with no activity. And the farmers and construction companies cannot run and hide when faced with fines and court dates. It won't take long for the farm and construction "employers" to find legal employees.
    The problem is that a fraction of the savings on salaries makes its way into the coffers of the politicians to ensure nothing like what you describe happens.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dang it. I'm not at the place where I can watch that right now. Would have preferred an article.

automatic planting machines. They are growing tiny seedlings in greenhouses and then planting plants instead of seeds. Massively reducing field time to get a mature plant.

Technology will again replace farm workers is my point

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

Agreed! The cost of labor being another term for WAGES. In the time after we did the amnesty in the mid-late 80's, we've had 12 million additional illegal aliens, most of them low-skill laborers, enter the country. And in that time period, the wages for low-skill labor have been flat while other wages have increased 40-50%.

It's amazing to me that progressives can argue that you cannot "ban" illegals from working, because the cost of produce would sky rocket... and then turn around and argue that illegals have no impact on low skill labor wages. The reason they must lie is to continue getting the votes of native low skill workers who haven't seen a raise in decades.

Some of those laborers "woke" for the 2016 election and voted for Trump.

The celery planter is impressive, though it's during the harvest that the most manual labor is required. (and for "trimming" and "pruning" such as needed at vineyards, orchards, etc.)

ETA: Although maybe automated planting for celery is new?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Yeah, minus that whole chains, involuntary work, and death part. Other than that, very similar.

"Equally?" I want to know where you're from, where you think political party plays a role in the hiring of illegals to work farms. In the deepest of Red States, there are tons of (suspected) illegals working the fields. Farmers, in my experience, care more about their bottom line that the legality of their workers. Whether it's soy in Delphi, sugar cane in Alabama, strawberries in Florida, you can see a major difference in the working populations from say 30 years ago. If watermelon longer tastes good to you because you have issues with the illegals working the fields, you had best give up produce, unless you grow it yourself.

Nope, it would not.... and the impending financial crash would be just as easily foreseen. Easy solution rarely come without significant consequences. One cannot simply remove a sizable part of a working force that has existed for decades, and avoid the immediate hardships that it would create for many more, legal, people.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Yeah, minus that whole chains, involuntary work, and death part. Other than that, very similar.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but many of the illegal immigrants are under indentured servitude to the cartel coyotes who shipped them here for $3-6,000. They might have "volunteered" to work off the debt, but funny how the debt never goes down. And, yes, those who don't pay, or who don't pay the suddenly added fees, are killed.

"Equally?" I want to know where you're from, where you think political party plays a role in the hiring of illegals to work farms. In the deepest of Red States, there are tons of (suspected) illegals working the fields. Farmers, in my experience, care more about their bottom line that the legality of their workers. Whether it's soy in Delphi, sugar cane in Alabama, strawberries in Florida, you can see a major difference in the working populations from say 30 years ago. If watermelon longer tastes good to you because you have issues with the illegals working the fields, you had best give up produce, unless you grow it yourself.

Gibson/Posey county watermelon country.

When a watermelon farmer has signs in his yard supporting all Democratic candidates, and/or runs as a Democrat in local elections, I think it's pretty fair to say he IS a Democrat, and not a Republican. Like I said, your mileage may vary and perhaps construction tends to be more R, so I'd allow it's equal whereas my own personal, saw it with my own eyes experience is, they're almost all Democrats.

I have zero problem with "who" picks the produce... how those human beings are exploited is a completely different story.

Nope, it would not.... and the impending financial crash would be just as easily foreseen. Easy solution rarely come without significant consequences. One cannot simply remove a sizable part of a working force that has existed for decades, and avoid the immediate hardships that it would create for many more, legal, people.

Enough to crash the economy!?!?! Wow, then that is a lot of money being "stolen" from native low skill workers... No wonder they haven't had a raise in decades. The truth of the matter is that they will offer a high enough wage to entice locals (or legal H2B migrant workers) into the fields and the price of produce will go up.

And, just so you know, 3 of my children worked exactly such farm jobs over several years at a couple bucks over minimum wage. And, if you showed up for all of your shifts and didn't quit, a couple hundred dollar bonus. Same as it was when I was in high school and the same as it was when my dad was young, though much smaller bonuses back then... more like farmer's wife's chicken dumplings, apple pie and lemonade! Lol!

Or, some farmers choose to pay some guy with a horse trailer full of humans on the cheap, then look the other way. I have no problem with ICE staking him out and having his watermelons rot in the field. Perhaps the guy who buys his farm at auction with be a humane human.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

When exactly did that memo go out? You think we might want to remind any of the Republican Farmers that they must change their party or no longer may they farm? From what source, I mean reputable source are you getting this nonsense?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There are lots of automatic planters for crops now. Just incredible. I'm sure harvesters are the next step. They are close to an automated apple picker too

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Exploit? Profit along with maybe; a fair days work for a fair days wages. Too many people misunderstand the balance that needs to go on there. Most peoples justice is peeking out of the blindfold with a bag of lead shot in her hand.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    There are lots of automatic planters for crops now. Just incredible. I'm sure harvesters are the next step. They are close to an automated apple picker too

You should see the machines they have to sort cranberries at harvest, they pour through a chute in a river where the color is recognized and an air jet blows each individual berry into the proper sorting chute...probably a thousand a second is a conservative estimate. Every step of the process is automated. Labor has always been expensive in America.

Top Bottom